Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cfs112

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
My iPad mini is having wifi connection issues. Tested it at a friends apt this weekend.; spotty wifi, disconnected often. At home it connects but the speed is dial-up slow! My ISP is comcast xfinity with the arris TG862 modem/router. i don't think its my modem as all macbook pros connected to it are fine, my iphone 5 connects fine with great speed. My friends brought over an ipad 1 and 2 and they both have great wifi speeds and no disconnections. I'm starting to wonder if this is an iPad mini hardware issue. Anyone else experiencing this? I'm going to try tomorrow at work using my company wifi. If that fails I'm going to the Apple store and see what they say. I really do love the iPad mini, but wifi connectivity problems at home is a deal breaker. And yes, I've tried everything they recommended in the Apple support forums.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/20201418?tstart=0#20201418?tstart=0

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
I don't have the issue.

Same speed from my iPhone and iPad Mini. A little faster on my MacBook Pro.

cfs112

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
I don't have the issue.

Same speed from my iPhone and iPad Mini. A little faster on my MacBook Pro.

What kind of modem/router are you using? Its not working on the Comcast provided Arris Docsis 3.0 modem/router. But I noticed it worked in my friend's place who had a NETGEAR router. It also worked in my neighbors place who has a Linksys router.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
What kind of modem/router are you using? Its not working on the Comcast provided Arris Docsis 3.0 modem/router. But I noticed it worked in my friend's place who had a NETGEAR router. It also worked in my neighbors place who has a Linksys router.

Cisco/Linksys E3000 dual band wireless router.

cfs112

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Ok, update, went to the Apple store and they replaced it with a brand new one. went home, tried it again and now I'm getting wifi speeds faster than what I would get from my iPhone 5! I guess for me it was a hardware issue. So strange, perhaps some of the first batches of the mini were somehow defective with their wifi antennas? So I suggest, if you're having wifi problems with your iPad mini and you got one from the first day batch then definitely get it replaced with a new one.

iMissie

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2012
Slow iPad mini

My iPad mini is very slow! Does not keep wifi connection.
Takes ages to load to apps and iTunes and then does not load the pages.
I will try to return to Apple store and see if the an help. My iPad 3 and iPhone 4S are much faster!
Thanks for the info you have all provided. Would appreciate any extra info!
Cheers:confused:

cfs112

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
My iPad mini is very slow! Does not keep wifi connection.
Takes ages to load to apps and iTunes and then does not load the pages.
I will try to return to Apple store and see if the an help. My iPad 3 and iPhone 4S are much faster!
Thanks for the info you have all provided. Would appreciate any extra info!
Cheers:confused:

I had the same issue with my iPad mini a month ago. I returned it and they gave me a new one that has no issues with wifi. Since there's a new iOS update out, try that first and see if it fixes it. If not, then go to Apple store and tell them that you already tried updating and you are still experiencing wifi connectivity issues. They will of course try it out using the wifi in their store. In my case, they tried it out at the store and it seemed to be working fine, but I reiterated to them that I use it mostly at home and that it isn't my router because my older iPad connects fine to it. They should do an exchange. Let us know when you get your new one if you still have wifi issues. I think the first batches of the iPad mini had this problem (mine was one of the first batches.)

supergod

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
Toronto
I had wifi problems with two ipad minis in a row and was frustrated as hell. $100 phone bill from talking to the morons on AppleCare. Never had such a frustrating purchase ever. Returned it and got the LTE model.

LTE has better wifi connectivity; no issues now on every network. Night and day

Alith

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
London, UK.
I used to have awful WiFi with lots of interference and signal loss on my 2.4GHz BT Home Hub 2. I switched to an Airport Extreme 5GHz router with channel bonding and I've not seen a single slowdown or issue since. My wired connection is about 65Mbps.

My iPad Mini and iPhone 5 get about 55-60Mbps and my iPad 3 got about 25-ish before I sold it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.