Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VinegarTasters

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
Here are 3 features that iPhone 5 lacks BADLY.

1) Image Stabilization

To see what pretty GOOD image stabilization is like, look at this video (done in software after the fact):

View the above again in full screen and select 1080p to appreciate it.

2) NFC

Metro/Subway and Starbucks payments not withstanding, but where is that door opening, room entering light and music on technology? GPS won't work here because you could trigger it a block away. Bluetooth 4.0 I don't think can handle it yet.

3) 1080p wider screen. (You know why the stocks are down currently because of lower demand than usual).

Last edited:

kamalds

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010
I have Galaxy Note 2 as well. Here is what I miss:

1) ability to send files via Bluetooth
2) Wifi direct
3) USB flash drive mode. Goodreader app does the job but needs iTunes installed in the computer
4) ability to download files in background

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
I think the next time an iPhone gets an upgraded screen it will be 1080p or 2272x1280 but the latter while it is simply a double again would result in a really dodgy res lol.

I don't think they will go higher unless the screen actually gets bigger as well. 326ppi is already beautiful and they think that too.

I also don't think they will go back to a non-widescreen device ever.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012

1) Image Stabilization

To see what pretty GOOD image stabilization is like, look at this video (done in software after the fact):

YouTube: video

2) NFC

Metro/Subway and Starbucks payments not withstanding, but where is that door opening, room entering light and music on technology? GPS won't work here because you could trigger it a block away. Bluetooth 4.0 I don't think can handle it yet.

3) 1080p wider screen. (You know why the stocks are down currently because of lower demand than usual).

1. Dollycam uses the gyro and accelerometer to assist with stabilization, which can be processed after the video is finished recording. (There is a free version you can test out)

Luma Camera does the image stabilization in real-time while recording, and saves both videos so you can see the difference. This app also gives you unlimited upload space, so you can archive your videos in the cloud. It's like an Instagram for videos, though uploading is not required.

I found this functionality pretty cool, as you can archive all of your videos in the cloud, delete them from your device (after transferring to your computer of course), and you can stream your old videos via the app. It truly acts as a streaming server, giving you higher/lower quality videos depending on your connection.

Lastly, the iPhone 5 standard camera has some pretty powerful video stabilization built-in already. You can see it in action pretty nicely with Filmic Pro.

2. "but where is that door opening, room entering light and music on technology"

This is already possible with both Bluetooth and Wifi, it doesn't require a smartphone either. My computer locks itself when I walk away, and comes on when I get close. We just need a commercial device to hook this in to our electronics. Read more about this here:

http://lifehacker.com/5905218/autom...when-you-leave-the-room-courtesy-of-bluetooth

This can also be integrated into any computerized home lighting/power system, simply by having the computer run a script to turn everything on when the Bluetooth device is in range.

3. That's a personal preference. Personally, I like the size for one-handed use, and once the pixels are indistinguishable by the eye, it doesn't matter how high the ppi gets.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
1) Image Stabilization

The iPhone 5 has digital image stabilization[?] Are you talking optical? Just better?

2) Wifi direct
3) USB flash drive mode. Goodreader app does the job but needs iTunes installed in the computer

While it requires the [pay] app on each device, iFiles works pretty great. A few times I've moved a file from the iPhone to the iPad via BT when a WiFi network wasn't available (can also move files to the device using a web UI).

When I've got WiFi (even via cellular), I just use DropBox as a bridge, since I usually want a copy of the file on some centralized storage anyway.

I'm old school, so I can appreciate filesystem access, mounting the device like a flash drive, etc., but honestly, lack of those hasn't been disruptive to my ability to get things done. I guess my appreciation of the other things iOS does so well (especially in combination with iTunes, OSX, AppleTV), I don't find it a bother.

FYI, you can call a handler that will extend the background processing of a suspended app, for up to 10 minutes, like a background download of a file, etc.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
While it requires the [pay] app on each device, iFiles works pretty great. A few times I've moved a file from the iPhone to the iPad via BT when a WiFi network wasn't available (can also move files to the device using a web UI).

When I've got WiFi (even via cellular), I just use DropBox as a bridge, since I usually want a copy of the file on some centralized storage anyway.

I'm old school, so I can appreciate filesystem access, mounting the device like a flash drive, etc., but honestly, lack of those hasn't been disruptive to my ability to get things done. I guess my appreciation of the other things iOS does so well (especially in combination with iTunes, OSX, AppleTV), I don't find it a bother.

FYI, you can call a handler that will extend the background processing of a suspended app, for up to 10 minutes, like a background download of a file, etc.

You make things so hard on yourself by using iOS. Android is so much simpler and easier to use when doing work. Look at how you are bending yourself over for your iDevice instead of the other way around.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
The iPhone 5 has digital image stabilization[?] Are you talking optical? Just better?

Why not use the free app Bump? It's faster than Bluetooth and multi platform. :)

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2011
Portugal
Why do people make such a fuss about the iPhone not having NFC?

Second, the iPhone 5 resolution is perfect as it is.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012

2) Wifi direct

There are multiple free ways to send files between devices, even devices with a different OS. The bump app I mentioned earlier is just one of many, and has numerous advantages.

Whenever I plug my phone into my Laptop, I can click and drag like a USB drive, though that's probably because I have ifunbox installed (REALLY GREAT SOFTWARE) http://www.i-funbox.com/

This works natively with my Linux machine as well, but not many people use Linux ;)

iOS allows programs to download files in the background, but only for 10 minutes after you've closed the app. This prevents performance issues, and it prevents rogue apps from destroying your monthly data cap. Especially now with LTE, I can't imagine wanting something on my phone that I couldn't download in 10 minutes.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
1. 4.3-inch display (I think Apple should have went even bigger)
2. More use of multi-touch gestures (swipe, pinch, etc for faster navigation)
3. More unified and modern UI (features, design, etc.)

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012

1) Image Stabilization

YouTube: video

View the above again in full screen and select 1080p to appreciate it.

2) NFC

Oh yea, forgot to mention, NFC range is way too short to facilitate anything you're referring to in #2. It's funny, because Bluetooth can already do that, but you're asking for NFC, which can't :p

MassiveAttack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2010
New York
Why do people make such a fuss about the iPhone not having NFC?

These same questions were asked years back:

Why do people make such a fuss about the iPhone not having 3G?

Why do people make such a fuss about the iPhone not having multi tasking?

Why do people make such a fuss about the iPhone not having copy and paste?

Why do people make such a fuss about the iPhone not having a larger display?

Why do people make such a fuss about the iPhone not having a dual core processor?

Why do people make such a fuss about the iPhone not having turn by turn navigation?

and so on....

Do you get it?

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Why not use the free app Bump? It's faster than Bluetooth and multi platform. :)

Because you still need a fast internet connection for bump to work. Why go through some middle man, make it more complicated by requiring third party software, and eat up your monthly data cap when Android has simple nfc / wifi direct / bluetooth file sharing built in that doesn't require going through the internet?

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006

2) Wifi direct

What is wifi direct?

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
You make things so hard on yourself by using iOS. Android is so much simpler and easier to use when doing work. Look at how you are bending yourself over for your iDevice instead of the other way around.

I don't. It's not. I have Android devices sitting here, I was an early adopter, and been through HTC, Moto and Samsung products, numbers of OS revisions, tons of custom ROM ... I'm also a developer whose dealt with both platforms from an app development and deployment angle.

If Android was better, I'd be using it, and from my perspective based on several things like interoperability across devices, resource sharing, customer service and support, app UI/aesthetics/UX/consistency, device sharing with my family, uptime and bug free operation ... it's not.

I'm pretty pragmatic about technology, and no other combination of products has worked as well as my combination of Apple gear. I also have a number of other platforms running here at the homestead, Windows, Linux, NAS/RAIDs, and whatnot, so it's not like I'm 100% locked into "Apple only". Whatever works _best_ for us. :)

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Because you still need a fast internet connection for bump to work. Why go through some middle man, make it more complicated by requiring third party software, and eat up your monthly data cap when Android has simple nfc / wifi direct / bluetooth file sharing built in that doesn't require going through the internet?

Because Bump is multiplatform, works on every phone, works even after you've gone home and are 1000 miles away from the user, doesn't require both phones to have specialized hardware, keeps a record of everything transferred (if you want), and is easier. I can transfer the file much faster through Bump than any Bluetooth solution. It's pretty transparent how it works, you bump the phones together and the files transfer, the user doesn't care how its done on the backend.

If you care, then use a different free app that has Bluetooth, or wifi, or iMessage or email, or Dropbox...etc.

I've yet to see someone successfully transfer a file Android to Android with whatever it comes built-in with. The last time I saw someone try, they gave up after about an hour. He looked it up the next day only to realize he was trying to transfer the file through a Samsung proprietary protocol, and the other phone wasn't a Samsung. This wasn't immediately apparent when it wasn't working.

He was dismayed when he found out only a few phones have Wifi direct, and when he saw how slow Bluetooth was, just gave up on the idea.

So after the event was over, I clicked and added all my photos to a photostream, added all 20 people to the stream, and was done. If they don't have iPhones, it sends them a link to an online gallery to view on their phone/computer. He would have been stuck trying to do a 1 on 1 Bluetooth transfer to everyone (had he figured out how to do it), hoping they all had compatible phones.

Long story short, hardware specific solutions which require the users to have a specific device are the past, and no longer relevant in an increasingly connected world.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
NFC is really a DOA technology.

Definitely. I had it on my Galaxy Nexus and almost never used it (once while in vegas I used the free $10 credit Google gave me to buy drinks from the vending machine).

I use passport much more frequently (every time I go to starbucks). It would be nice to just be able to tap, but having someone scan it is just as easy and I will take the battery savings any day (whatever they may be).

As for sharing phone to phone, sounds like sending over the cloud would be just as efficient.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
That's unless Apple adopts it then you'll have a totally different opinion, right?

Better yet Passbook is totally DOA, that's a fact.

Serious question, where is NFC used in retail establishment in the US? I have never seen it anywhere. I seen scanning the Starbucks app or boarding passes for a flight, but I don't think I have have ever seen NFC being used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.