Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
I have never bought an app that didn't meet my expectations, nor do I buy apps that aren't specifically called out by review sites or don't have very, very promising screenshots. It's good to actually research and read about what you're buying. The only time I don't care is when it's a free app.

But I always leave a review when something isn't right. And developers usually find me via Google to follow up (which I find hilarious). Some of them give you promo codes for their other apps, and some even add you to their TestFlight thing. Really, if you don't like something, LEAVE FEEDBACK! It's useful for them, especially when you go into detail of what exactly you don't like. :)

I need a Office suit app, there's a lot out. Docs2Go, Pages/Keynote, Etc. I don't want to drop $10-$20 and find out I could have bought something better for less. Right now I use CloudOn, which requires Internet at all times and I can't have my phone tethered 24/7 without AT&T noticing.

Reviews!!! and How much does one pay for bottled water? pop? a Fast food lunch? many other wasteful things. think about the work involved in these apps I rarely feel I wasted .99 and on a $5 + app I read up on but still $5 even $10 you never went to a movie and left pissed because you thought it was a waste of time and money? Or other entertainment..

You can't compare wasting money on apps with food/drinks for survival.

I don't buy bottled water, I buy a gallon jug and carry it around with me. Soda, rarely drink and fast food I rarely eat. I tend to spend my money on things like working out, motorcycle, entertainment.

As for a movie, yes I believe I've wasted money and time for a movie or two.

I'm not trying to argue, I'm just trying to understand how the AppStore works with paid apps. What if a company like Sparrow gets bought out, no more updates, and what about all the twitter apps that Twitter acquired?

kuwxman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Kansas City
I've been saying for a long time that Apple needs to bring some of the jailbreak devs on board...or at least let them develop some of their tweaks for purchase/download through the App Store (LockInfo, Multifl0w, etc). That would benefit everyone.

Until then, I went over to Android for the time being as well. Trying out a Nexus 4 until my next iPhone upgrade is available. I was never one into jailbreak themes either, just tweaks. Saying that, I've got this phone to where it is comparable to my previously jailbroken 4S with a LockInfo style lock screen (thanks to LockerPro) and Multifl0w-ish style multitasking with Google's built in way of doing it. Running a Nexus device I also get free tethering (just like I had with MyWi). Sooo, I'm in no hurry to run back for the time being.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
I've been saying for a long time that Apple needs to bring some of the jailbreak devs on board...or at least let them develop some of their tweaks for purchase/download through the App Store (LockInfo, Multifl0w, etc). That would benefit everyone.

Until then, I went over to Android for the time being as well. Trying out a Nexus 4 until my next iPhone upgrade is available. I was never one into jailbreak themes either, just tweaks. Saying that, I've got this phone to where it is comparable to my previously jailbroken 4S with a LockInfo style lock screen (thanks to LockerPro) and Multifl0w-ish style multitasking with Google's built in way of doing it. Running a Nexus device I also get free tethering (just like I had with MyWi). Sooo, I'm in no hurry to run back for the time being.

Yeah, I was also tempted to move to Android, but honestly what do I gain? Because all of what it does I can already do having my iPhone 4 jailbroken. Intelliscreen X, and all other tweaks make the best of both worlds: a great app selection, plus the customization part.

----------

http://www.labnol.org/software/itunes-app-store-refunds/13838/

----------

"Chronic-Dev 0xMAS is about to begin, and promises lots of green and red trees!!!!" tweeted by @p0sixninja

Yes, but I don't want all that hassle just to try out an app. Be it $1 or $10 I don't want to spend money on something that I'm not sure I will appreciate. So if I can download it with Installous try it out for a couple of days then I know if I want to buy it.

Bloons TD 5 was released and I knew immediately that I would want it because I love Bloons TD 4 so I just bought it without even trying it with Installous, but it's an exception.

BlueRaider

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012
Android is the future for jailbreakers whether people are willing to admit it or not. I was the biggest iOS fanboy in the world beginning with the release of the original iPhone. As the time between jailbreak releases grew more and more the less enthusiastic I became about iOS. I can't stand using an iOS device without some sort of quick settings tweak in the notification center, tethering, 3G Unrestrictor (I know that most of these things are available on stock iOS now). I also became disenchanted with the physical design and hardware of the iPhone. I could barely discern a difference between my 4 and 4S in terms of performance. After playing with friends Android phones with 4"+ screens my iPhone felt inferior. I eventually ended up purchasing a Galaxy S3 this summer and I couldn't be happier. Everything I could do via Jailbreaking my iDevices I could do on the Galaxy S3. The big difference being that Samsung has no issue with it.

If you enjoy tinkering and tweaking your devices I encourage you to try out an Android device. The Galaxy Tab 2 and Nexus 7 are extremely affordable and extremely powerful devices. After purchasing my first Android device there was no turning back. No more waiting on people smarter than me to crack the OS so that I could use it in the manner I wanted made the switch simple.

I still check the dev's twitter feeds daily (as does everybody in this thread I bet) hoping for promising news on an iOS 6 jailbreak for my iPad 3. Hopefully p0sixninja is not full of **** and is actually close to dumping the A5/A6(X) BootROM's. That would insure jailbreaks for another couple of years and hopefully buy some time for new people to come onto the scene and keep it alive. Without another low level exploit I fear jailbreaking is close to death.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I see so I guess only time will tell if its possible or not and when it comes to waiting I am good at waiting. I know that Ipod touch 5th gen uses the A5 chip, lets hope that A5 device device would be able to jailbreak on IOS 6 and above.

I know these device uses A5 chip
Ipod touch 5th gen
Ipad mini (not sure)
Ipad 3, old device
Iphone 4s, old device

I hope that A5 device doesn't get left out on jailbreak and only A6 device gets jailbreak.

Doesn't matter so much which CPU is in the device, a jailbreak exploits a software/firmware flaw. If a flaw is found in iOS 6, there may be a jailbreak created to exploit it.

If no exploitable flaw is discovered, sorry but no jailbreak will be possible.

The ONLY way a jailbreak can happen, is if there is an exploit found in the running OS that a hacker can exploit.

Given that apple has put a lot of focus on security lately with gatekeeper (not iOS yes, but still an implementation of code-signing they will be getting real world data from), ARC in the development tools for more convenient / less easily screwed up memory management, etc - I wouldn't hold my breath. It may take quite a while, if ever.

There are only two or three serious hackers/developers working on ios jailbreak for the last couple of years: pod2g, musclenerd... Anybody else?

See, this is the thing. Someone WANTING a jailbreak, and working day and night on it is no guarantee of one coming out. If the exploitable flaw is not there, then nothing short of hardware hacking will jailbreak the device.

You can't just magically jailbreak a device that is set up to run signed code only. There needs to be an exploitable flaw.

With the iPhone taking off in business, business customers DO NOT want jailbroken devices. The ability to control data leakage outside of the company, maintain the security of your mobile device fleet, etc all depends on the device running signed code only.

Apple will certainly be cracking down on anything that looks like it might be exploitable.

A more likely way the devices will get broken these days is if someone leaks/steals the root code signing keys from within Apple. Then anyone could sign their own code with the root keys.

Last edited:

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Android is the future for jailbreakers whether people are willing to admit it or not. I was the biggest iOS fanboy in the world beginning with the release of the original iPhone. As the time between jailbreak releases grew more and more the less enthusiastic I became about iOS. I can't stand using an iOS device without some sort of quick settings tweak in the notification center, tethering, 3G Unrestrictor (I know that most of these things are available on stock iOS now). I also became disenchanted with the physical design and hardware of the iPhone. I could barely discern a difference between my 4 and 4S in terms of performance. After playing with friends Android phones with 4"+ screens my iPhone felt inferior. I eventually ended up purchasing a Galaxy S3 this summer and I couldn't be happier. Everything I could do via Jailbreaking my iDevices I could do on the Galaxy S3. The big difference being that Samsung has no issue with it.

If you enjoy tinkering and tweaking your devices I encourage you to try out an Android device. The Galaxy Tab 2 and Nexus 7 are extremely affordable and extremely powerful devices. After purchasing my first Android device there was no turning back. No more waiting on people smarter than me to crack the OS so that I could use it in the manner I wanted made the switch simple.

I still check the dev's twitter feeds daily (as does everybody in this thread I bet) hoping for promising news on an iOS 6 jailbreak for my iPad 3. Hopefully p0sixninja is not full of **** and is actually close to dumping the A5/A6(X) BootROM's. That would insure jailbreaks for another couple of years and hopefully buy some time for new people to come onto the scene and keep it alive. Without another low level exploit I fear jailbreaking is close to death.

Pretty much exactly how I feel about jailbreaking/ios/android at this point except I purchased a Galaxy Note II. I do have an iPad but have no interest in jailbreaking it since I don't require as much from my tablet as I do my phone.

If/when a jailbreak does become available, how much time was spent/wasted on stock iOS and it won't be long until the next iPhone/iOS arrives. People will then either upgrade phones again or they're stuck on iOS6 waiting for a jailbreak for iOS7 before they can update. (which is funny because the main complaint I hear from (stock) iPhone users about android are immediate OS updates).

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL

This is a very well thought out post. Thank you..

however, no Android device will ever compare to a jailbroken Apple imo.:cool:

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
I'm Afraid I'm eyeing s Android myself if Apple doesn't change it's game soon I'm thinking of taking a serious look at android! By Apple forcing this cat and mouse game. Just let me have my Jailbreak Apple and a few more bells and whistles on my iPhone. Samsung has allot of nice features and I'm not ashamed to say it. I'm getting excited to see the Galaxy S4 now.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA

The only problem is actually being able to jailbreak an iPhone.

I'd agree that jailbroken iOS is better than Android. However, Android is better than stock iOS. The cat/mouse waiting game which was fun at first has now become a hassle. It's been 3 months now. Everyone with an iPhone 5 has been stuck on stock iOS 6 for a quarter of the life of the OS.

Once the next iPhone/OS comes out. Are people not going to upgrade their phones or OS? Are they willing to play the cat/mouse game all over again? This is the part I've lost all interest in. I'd rather use Android than get stuck using a non-jailbroken iPhone.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK

I'd agree that jailbroken iOS is better than Android. However, Android is better than stock iOS. The cat/mouse waiting game which was fun at first has now become a hassle. It's been 3 months now. Everyone with an iPhone 5 has been stuck on stock iOS 6 for a quarter of the life of the OS.

Once the next iPhone/OS comes out. Are people not going to upgrade their phones or OS? Are they willing to play the cat/mouse game all over again? This is the part I've lost all interest in. I'd rather use Android than get stuck using a non-jailbroken iPhone.

Well, true, but on the other hand most stuff that will come on ios7 can easily be replicated in ios6 + jailbreak.

Even now with ios6, why on earth would I want to update my iPhone 4, lose jailbreak for what functionality?

Dr Sam Beckett

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2012
http://www.labnol.org/software/itunes-app-store-refunds/13838/

----------

"Chronic-Dev 0xMAS is about to begin, and promises lots of green and red trees!!!!" tweeted by @p0sixninja

hes talking about smoking weed...

they are all meeting in amsterdam.. im sure some work will be done about the jb.. but the comment about trees.. is about smoking trees. Red and Green buds

----------

well it hasnt quite surpassed the time it took the ip4s yet but yeah kind of a double edged sword.. sucks waiting for a JB..but with every jailbreak iOS becomes that much more secure.. thanks to jailbreaks we have the most secured mobile phone software out.

gpsouza

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2012
Lisbon
My guess is, because of the introduction of iP5 in China, the chances that we get other jailbreaker increases significantly :)

ACardAttack

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2010
Doesn't matter so much which CPU is in the device, a jailbreak exploits a software/firmware flaw. If a flaw is found in iOS 6, there may be a jailbreak created to exploit it.

If no exploitable flaw is discovered, sorry but no jailbreak will be possible.

The ONLY way a jailbreak can happen, is if there is an exploit found in the running OS that a hacker can exploit.

Doesn't there have to be a something in the hardware as well? Hence the A4 will always be jailbreakable (teathered at least), where the A5 is not so.

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
Doesn't there have to be a something in the hardware as well? Hence the A4 will always be jailbreakable (teathered at least), where the A5 is not so.

To an extent. The reason that the A4 is always jailbreakable is that they found an unfixable bug in the bootrom. Apple doesn't have the ability to patch the bootrom so it is always there. For everything after that they use userland exploits so it's all software. More than likely if they find a bug that works on an A6 it will also work on an A5 since it's all software at that point.

Dr Sam Beckett

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2012

To an extent. The reason that the A4 is always jailbreakable is that they found an unfixable bug in the bootrom. Apple doesn't have the ability to patch the bootrom so it is always there. For everything after that they use userland exploits so it's all software. More than likely if they find a bug that works on an A6 it will also work on an A5 since it's all software at that point.

right.. to expound more on that.. a4 and earlier are bootrom exploits and cannot be patched by Apple due to the fact that it is a hardware problem not software.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA

The thing is, and as you should know as an Android user, is that customization rules above all. You would have the entire top 100 on both paid and free apps in the App Store just completely be customization related apps. It would hurt sales of games and apps alike. People who are blowing off thousands on coins will only blow that same money on themes and tweaks. Do you really want Apple to be paying a $100,000 check out to a guy who knows how to make clock faces? Who can make themed icons? And who uses a template? No.

And if you let one person do it, you have to let EVERYONE do it. And with as much crappy apps that are out there, it would be horrible, everyone would be trying to get a piece of the pie because it would be so easy to do so.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
I'm Afraid I'm eyeing s Android myself if Apple doesn't change it's game soon I'm thinking of taking a serious look at android! By Apple forcing this cat and mouse game. Just let me have my Jailbreak Apple and a few more bells and whistles on my iPhone. Samsung has allot of nice features and I'm not ashamed to say it. I'm getting excited to see the Galaxy S4 now.

yeah true. it looks like iPhone 5 will be my last iPhone!

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Funny, I seen the Note 2 in person and it looks awesome. I told my wife it sucks owning all these Apple products, I'm scared to switch now. Haha.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
As an X android ROM developer flashing your phone isn't all that glamorous. Ya its fun right after you flash but then you feel the need to flash something else. Basically most users rely on others to do everything for them. If you switch to Android are you going to be able to add transparency to the ROM yourself? Are you going to compile your own ROMs, decompile APKs? Probably not. Then the bugs its the fix one thing break something else. Take it from a guy who worked on it for years, its not that great.

I'll add this too: its seems like android ROM development has really slowed down too. Certain devises get all the attention.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009

Umm, you do realize that android offers more customization than even a jailbroken ios device. the possibilities are literally endless as the source code for the entire OS is public. You can literally change anything you want in android. Theres also apk-tool that lets you mod apps without the source code and tons of other things. Heck most of what people jailbreak to get you can do on android without even rooting.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
Umm, you do realize that android offers more customization than even a jailbroken ios device. the possibilities are literally endless as the source code for the entire OS is public. You can literally change anything you want in android. Theres also apk-tool that lets you mod apps without the source code and tons of other things. Heck most of what people jailbreak to get you can do on android without even rooting.

Like what?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.