Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Odisey

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
Why is RAM not showing up on Windows side? Shouldn't 4 Gigs show in properties? Using Bootcamp.

16 GBs RAM installed today and Windows properties shows only one processor running 1.99 GBs RAM. I actually have 2 processors, so I am thinking it may be a glitch on the Windows' side. I'm running Windows XP Home 32 bit, wondering why it is not recognizing up to 4 GBs RAM max in Windows properties dialogue box. Seems a lot faster on Windows side though ...

Thanks

Last edited:

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
The answer to this is simple. Any 32bit operating system will not see or use more than 4gb of ram. Usually that is the case anyways. In my experience, especially with XP home edition, it might not even use that much it would see anywhere between 2 and 3.5. I suggest at least installing XP pro, but you would be doing much more good by having an x64 version of windows if you want it to function properly on a mac that new. The hardware in the computer is aimed toward newer systems like vista and 7. Yes XP will run, but the hardware is beyond XP. The best chance you'll get is either installing XP Pro x64, or any version of windows server 2003. That is of course if you must be using XP.
as for it seeming faster, of course it does. Windows XP has a minimum requirement of a 266mhz cpu with 64mb of ram, or something like that. essentially this computer is over kill for it, so it seems faster.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx

If you want to use more than 4gb in windows, you have to install a 64bit OS, or a windows version that supports PAE.

Last edited:

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
A portion of that address space is tied up with other thing. I don't remember them at the moment, but it is normal.

Sincci

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2011
Finland
Don't bother with x64 version of XP or Vista, none of those are supported by Bootcamp anymore. Your best option is IMO 64bit version of Windows 7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.