Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Augure

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
So after I don't remember which update, one of those random bugs that I'm sure I'm not the only one to have, started happening and this one is really annoying.

When I press my keyboard volume button, the change appears on the screen, you know, the little square with a speaker and small volume dots, but the volume of the sound itself doesn't change.

So as a temporary solution I chose to have the volume control icon in the upper menu bar, but even this doesn't work. The only way I have to change the volume is to go into the preferences each time, which is of course super annoying.

Anyone have a solution ?

EDIT: I tried ressetting the PRAM: the problem got back even worse.

Last edited:

Augure

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
It didn't work. Instead it became worse, whether with my headphone on or without, the volume button doesn't change the volume even though the indicator appears and changes.

It's annoying as hell

throughthehaze

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2012
Volume control not Working

My Macbook pro has started doing this, I did a clean instal of Snow leopard and it cured it until the software update, did you resolve the issue?

hirhiness

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2012
Volume Control Not Working on Brand New 2012 Mac Book Air!

I bought my MacBook Air in August 2012 and have been using GarageBand to record vocals. I'm using a BLUE MIC that I bought from the Mac store and studio headphones. After plugging them in and out my keyboard volume controls stopped working. I've tried re-booting and doing the workaround suggested in the forums and NOTHING is working!!! I just got this darn laptop and bought it specifically for recording (I'm a professional songwriter) so this is how I make my living. Can someone help????

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
I bought my MacBook Air in August 2012 and have been using GarageBand to record vocals. I'm using a BLUE MIC that I bought from the Mac store and studio headphones. After plugging them in and out my keyboard volume controls stopped working. I've tried re-booting and doing the workaround suggested in the forums and NOTHING is working!!! I just got this darn laptop and bought it specifically for recording (I'm a professional songwriter) so this is how I make my living. Can someone help????

When you say not working, just curious. When you press the volume buttons on the keyboard do you see the volume bar on your screen?

If you see the volume bar and still no sound.. then there is something else going on..

If not then,
Next, check your keyboard preferences and make sure the "Use all F1,F2 keys as standard keys..." option is unchecked.

Next check the "Audio/MIDI" set up under "Utilities" and check your "Outputs"..

If the above didnt help then maybe you can take it to the Mac Store where you bought the Mic and explain the situation to them?

Last edited:

s6677

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2013
Update october 2013 on MacBook Pro

When you say not working, just curious. When you press the volume buttons on the keyboard do you see the volume bar on your screen?

If not then, check your keyboard preferences and make sure the "Use all F1,F2 keys as standard keys..." option is unchecked.

After doing the recent update a couple days ago, the sound button stopped working. The volume bar wasn't appearing anymore.

Following this advice (unchecked F1, F2 keys), it has solved the problem. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.