Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sgtarky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
Benton, Arkansas
I have fought all these years to not use ITunes now I am getting around to using it. when you bring something into ITUNES is it make an extra copy or is it simply a link? I noticed when I pulled a movie into then deleted the movie from the folder it was in, it still showed up in Itunes....I would much rather it be links instead of having 2 copies of files. unless I am not understanding the function.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I have fought all these years to not use ITunes now I am getting around to using it. when you bring something into ITUNES is it make an extra copy or is it simply a link? I noticed when I pulled a movie into then deleted the movie from the folder it was in, it still showed up in Itunes....I would much rather it be links instead of having 2 copies of files. unless I am not understanding the function.

You can set that up in iTunes under preferences>advanced tab>uncheck Copy to iTunes Media folder.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

In iTunes > Preferences > Advanced uncheck these boxes if you don't want iTunes to make a copy or manage your files:
attachment.php

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
iTunes is quite adaptable to your preferences, generally. If you want it to copy the file, it will copy it, if you want it to make a link, it will make a link, if you want it to move the file and keep it organized for you, so you won't have to, it will do that. It all depends on how you set it up in preferences or how you add the files.

I strongly prefer to let iTunes organize my media in folders instead of fussing around with them myself. I add new files by dragging them into the Automatically Add to iTunes folder, with the Keep iTunes Organized and Copy Files to iTunes boxes checked in iTunes>Preferences>Advanced. That results in a single copy of the file that iTunes organizes into convenient folders.

Sgtarky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
Benton, Arkansas
I know I keep going back to the way windows media center does things....but lets face it is a pretty good m$ product. but did have to add a addon called media browser, you would make a logical category called Kids movies and it would read files from several different folders. are there any addons to iTunes that will do something similar, I see you can set the directory for your files but it is only one directory and its for videos and music. of course I might just wait until atv 3 is jailbroken and use xbmc

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
you would make a logical category called Kids movies and it would read files from several different folders. are there any addons to iTunes that will do something similar, I see you can set the directory for your files but it is only one directory and its for videos and music.
If you have ever used another database program, it helps to think of iTunes as a database manager, which it is, and not worry so much about what the underlying file structure is, because you will never have to look at it if you don't want.

Within iTunes, you can set any file to a particular Genre through the Get Info menu (right-click on a file) Under the Info tab. This can also be done using a program like Subler or MetaX (or Z. whatever it is now). It won't change the file structure, but you can ignore that. If you go, within iTunes, to the Grid display, you can then choose to see the films by Genre. Then you open into any Genre folder within iTunes, and see all the files within that Genre, change their names, add then to a device, watch them, whatever you wish Meanwhile, you're letting iTunes worry about what folder they happen to be stored in, so you don't have to.

Sgtarky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
Benton, Arkansas
If you have ever used another database program, it helps to think of iTunes as a database manager, which it is, and not worry so much about what the underlying file structure is, because you will never have to look at it if you don't want.

Within iTunes, you can set any file to a particular Genre through the Get Info menu (right-click on a file) Under the Info tab. This can also be done using a program like Subler or MetaX (or Z. whatever it is now). It won't change the file structure, but you can ignore that. If you go, within iTunes, to the Grid display, you can then choose to see the films by Genre. Then you open into any Genre folder within iTunes, and see all the files within that Genre, change their names, add then to a device, watch them, whatever you wish Meanwhile, you're letting iTunes worry about what folder they happen to be stored in, so you don't have to.
one, I dont want to change my file structure on the windows HTPC that Is working perfect the way I set it up. but it appears to use itunes I would have to copy the media into(if i didnt want to change the file structure) as I said you cant point the itunes media library to multiple directories. I think i will give this up and wait on the jailbreak and put xbmc. I will steer people away from this overpriced hunk of junk, most new tvs have netflix app built in thats is about all I can get out of this

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
one, I dont want to change my file structure on the windows HTPC that Is working perfect the way I set it up. but it appears to use itunes I would have to copy the media into(if i didnt want to change the file structure) as I said you cant point the itunes media library to multiple directories.
Re-read GGJStudios post above. That shows you how to add things to iTunes without copying the files and maintaining your current file structure, if that's what you would prefer.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
one, I dont want to change my file structure on the windows HTPC that Is working perfect the way I set it up. but it appears to use itunes I would have to copy the media into(if i didnt want to change the file structure) as I said you cant point the itunes media library to multiple directories. I think i will give this up and wait on the jailbreak and put xbmc. I will steer people away from this overpriced hunk of junk, most new tvs have netflix app built in thats is about all I can get out of this

The easy way....

Normally if iTunes has its default settings, when you drag a movie, audio file etc to iTunes, the GUI will display a "+" sign to indicate that it is adding it to the iTunes library and with default settings, it makes a duplicate copy.

Simple solution:
On the Mac, you hold the the "option" key which overrides the iTunes default preferences, which means that iTunes leaves the file where it is and does not make a duplicate, instead it catalogs it into its database.

I think iTunes on Windows does the same thing with the Alt or Control key.

Try this...
Drag a movie onto iTunes but keep holding the mouse button. iTunes should display a "+" sign. While still holing the mouse button, try pressing and holding alt or control and see which gets rid of the "+" sign. When the + is gone it means iTunes won't duplicate the file.

This is what I do to keep my movies on 2 external drives and iTunes music, apps, audiobooks etc on another external drive.

Let us know if any of this helps :)

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
i will try it out sounds workable. but I have a ton of movies to move over
Just set iTunes preferences to your "Movie" folder location. No need to copy files into the iTunes Media folder. To add movies, just go to File>Add to Library>select everything you want to add...and you're done. Easy.

Sgtarky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
Benton, Arkansas
Just set iTunes preferences to your "Movie" folder location. No need to copy files into the iTunes Media folder. To add movies, just go to File>Add to Library>select everything you want to add...and you're done. Easy.

as i stated eariler my movies are in 4 folders and span 2 drives

wolfpuppies3

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2012
Virginia, USA
"Overpriced hunk of junk" You crack me up. iTunes is free.

If you are unwilling or unable to become comfortable with a new piece of software there is little anyone here can do to assist you beyond all of the above suggestions.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
You can add media from multiple locations to iTunes. For example, my iTunes library won't fit on my internal drive, so I have one iTunes library, with my favorite music stored on my internal drive, so it's available when I'm mobile, with the remainder stored on external drives.

How to split a single iTunes library over two or more media locations
Exactly!

I have my music on the internal drive and my movies on an NAS. My iTunes Media Folder is located on my internal, but it could be anywhere. Don't have iTunes copy media into the Media Folder when adding files and it will keep track of where the source files are located. It doesn't matter that they are spread across a pre-determined file structure across multiple drives. It just keeps track of the path.

Also, I noticed that I was incorrect in my above post in saying that you should used iTunes preference to point iTunes to the movie folder. You need to point it to the Media Folder location. Sorry if I confused things with that error.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
um...so do what he said for all 4 folders?You're making this harder than it is.

You don't even have to do it for the 4 folders. You just tell iTunes where your library is located and then tell it not to add files to the library database when you add them to the library. By telling iTunes this you are telling it to keep track of the original location of the files.

Sgtarky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
Benton, Arkansas
You don't even have to do it for the 4 folders. You just tell iTunes where your library is located and then tell it not to add files to the library database when you add them to the library. By telling iTunes this you are telling it to keep track of the original location of the files.
I only get home everyonce awhile and didnt have time to test it, I was trying out stuff on my mac, but in windows apparently it creates a link by default when you drag it over. another issues is the handbrake for windows, its not adding subtitles, works fine in mac tho, I guess I will copy each movie over to mac and handbrake them there

----------

"Overpriced hunk of junk" You crack me up. iTunes is free.

If you are unwilling or unable to become comfortable with a new piece of software there is little anyone here can do to assist you beyond all of the above suggestions.

overpriced hunk of junk is in reference to the apple tv.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.