Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple Maps or Google Maps?

• Sticking with Apple Maps

Votes: 101 42.4%
  • Going with Google Maps

Votes: 137 57.6%

• Total voters

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Apple Maps has worked great for me, is well integrated into the OS, has some nice perks like lock-screen navigation (I don't believe that's a Google feature). I'll be sticking with the Apple app!

Kukulcan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
I tested Google and Apple side by side for two days. There is one thing that made me decide for Apple - the traffic data is more up to date. Better integration and less data usage is the icing on the cake.

That is for TBT with spoken directions. I don't care that much how the maps look and if it shows traffic (which is an obvious feature that Google implements, but that just doesn't help that much if it is from an hour ago).

Besides that both are equal here where Apple map data is pretty much perfect. Google voice sounds more human, but Siris voice comes through a little more clear over the music playing.

Will use Google Maps for Streetview, maybe finding POIs - like I used the old Google maps (so more or less never). Transit directions, if I ever need them are done using a third app. Nice to have a choice (especially for those in countries forgotten by Apple), but for me the release of Google Maps didn't change that much.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I tested Google and Apple side by side for two days. There is one thing that made me decide for Apple - the traffic data is more up to date. Better integration and less data usage is the icing on the cake.

That is for TBT with spoken directions. I don't care that much how the maps look and if it shows traffic (which is an obvious feature that Google implements, but that just doesn't help that much if it is from an hour ago).

Besides that both are equal here where Apple map data is pretty much perfect. Google voice sounds more human, but Siris voice comes through a little more clear over the music playing.

Will use Google Maps for Streetview, maybe finding POIs - like I used the old Google maps (so more or less never). Transit directions, if I ever need them are done using a third app. Nice to have a choice (especially for those in countries forgotten by Apple), but for me the release of Google Maps didn't change that much.

Less data usage will apply to both maps since the new Google Maps is vector-based as well.

canwe3

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012
google has 10yrs of collected data. I use google maps but google nav did take me to wrong places COUPLE OF TIMES. I was late a lot of times cause of that. Iphone nav uses tom tom so I think nav wise iphone is better. I'll just use google maps cause it's what I"m used to.

ACtully I might just use apple maps just for navs, copy and paste the address. I prefer apple nav UI than googles.

Phrygian

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2011
Turn by turn is a bit of a gimmick to me. Neither google nor apple maps are better than my satnav. Good for an emergency I suppose.

On foot, which is when I use maps on my phone most, apple maps is awful, google excellent. It's all about the POIs, and apple just doesn't have them here. Yelp is a US company with little impact in other countries. Baffling why apple decided to rely on them so heavily.

So much this its not even funny. All these people worry about the quality of their turn by turn nav... but refuse to buy a garmin or a tomtom.... /facepalm.

And before anyone starts in on a "what if we can't afford a garmin/tomtom"? they cost 80-130 bucks, and if you are worrying about turn by turn, you already own the most expensive phone one can buy (well, close to it anyway), and you own a car.

And as for the data usage... that's actually interesting, but i have unlimited dataplan grandfathered from my iphone 3gs. yeeeeeeaaah. Might be an issue with getting that turn info as soon as you want in the boonies on 3G or edge... but again, refer to my first point.

----------

I've not downloaded Google maps, and from what I've read I am staying with Apple maps.

I'm also curious. What have you read? Apple geniousbar memos?

darky90

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
I'll be using Google from now on. It's been around and well trusted. Maybe I'll switch over to Apple's map once they fix their issues.

j4zb4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
I want to set it as default... Apple maps doesn't give directions in my country... so someone sends me a location I can't click on "directions to there" as I used to... I need that... Badly...

----------

In India, you cant even try to compare both the maps. You can say that Apple maps is just there as an icon with no data. I mean what was apple even thinking while making maps. I dont wanna state the obvious again and again.

But after google maps, you can say that i will start using my iPhone for directions. Earlier it wasnt just possible with Apple maps.

Dude Apple maps doesn't even give directions in our country... lol...

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
Turn by turn is a bit of a gimmick to me. Neither google nor apple maps are better than my satnav. Good for an emergency I suppose.

On foot, which is when I use maps on my phone most, apple maps is awful, google excellent. It's all about the POIs, and apple just doesn't have them here. Yelp is a US company with little impact in other countries. Baffling why apple decided to rely on them so heavily.

Apple adding Foursquare could have a huge impact. Let's see how it plays out.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
For turn-by-turn, I've been using mostly Navagon on the iPhone, though usually the system in my car. If I'm walking in a city, however, I'll probably pull up Google until I have more confidence in Apple. Not to say that Google doesn't make mistakes - because I've found some - but Google's POIs (restaurants, stores, etc) are clearly better than Apple's. Apple's looks better, though.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Apple Maps integration with Siri & the rest of the OS means it will still be my go-to app for turn-by-turn navigation. Being able to just tap the green bar at the top of the screen to return to the navigation is very convenient. And the data is getting better.

Google Maps is there for backup in case there are any errors with the info Apple Maps gives me. :D

I always check the route before I start too so I don't end up 20 miles from where I am supposed to be. Some people are too stupid to make a simple check like this and then whine when they don't end up where they want to be. People need to remember how to think for themselves and use technology as a tool, not as a replacement to their brain.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
Apple Maps integration with Siri & the rest of the OS means it will still be my go-to app for turn-by-turn navigation. Being able to just tap the green bar at the top of the screen to return to the navigation is very convenient. And the data is getting better.

Google Maps is there for backup in case there are any errors with the info Apple Maps gives me. :D

I always check the route before I start too so I don't end up 20 miles from where I am supposed to be. Some people are too stupid to make a simple check like this and then whine when they don't end up where they want to be. People need to remember how to think for themselves and use technology as a tool, not as a replacement to their brain.

Some people just don't have one.

mac00l

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011

Please explain me, how are you going to check if the place you are heading to is correct, if you have nothing more than an address and never been there before?

At least in Mexico that is a huge problem, since you have plenty of streets with the same name in a relatively small area.

Last night I was off by 5km. I was in the same street same number, in the same city, only in a different area. Apple never was able to get the correct place, google did.

Nonetheless I love Siri's turn by turn navigation implementation. Therefore I find the place in google, only to place a marker on Apple's Maps to get me there.

Regarding getting a dedicated GPS, well.... I have one, a Tomtom. Works great and I use it when going to other cities, specially Texas where streets might get confusing. But in the day to day, I find it easier to pull my phone from my pocket, give a direction and hear the instructions trough my stereo. I know I would never trust my life on Siri, but precision is something expected from a map app from which you are expecting precisely precision.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Please explain me, how are you going to check if the place you are heading to is correct, if you have nothing more than an address and never been there before?

Google Maps :p

Or Mapquest.

But if the data proves correct then I use the Apple Maps for the turn by turn for the reasons you listed. I live in the Northeast US in one of the most populous areas of the country so the data here has been quite accurate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.