Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Cook made the short list? :eek: He looks taller on stage.
*rimshot* Good one!
On Topic: I can't think of many people who should be on the list. A lot happened this year, and I think I'm kind of leaning towards Barack Obama because of the election (which seems like a lazy, but solid choice) or Malala because of the broader issues she represents: violence against women, violence against children, the struggles of people around the world to get an education, the ongoing fight against senseless extremists.

But... Tim Cook? I would loose any respect I have for Time if they chose him as the most important person of 2012. They may as well select George Lucas for selling Star Wars to Disney at that rate. :rolleyes:

fozzy.bear

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2011
Rochester ny
Maybe if the stock were $800

Overseeing a 30% drop in the value of the company certainly qualifies him for something...but Man of the Year? I think not!

RolyPolyBird

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2010
Should never have made a shortlist of anything, he has made bad choices since taking over and his leadership (at least in the top job) capacity is unproven. That said I am rooting for him to take accolades in the years to come.

Typical mainstream media ********.

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
As a lot of you are missing the point of Time's list and didn't read the post, I'll reiterate.

This is not an award of merit, it's an award for the person/thing who generated the most response, news coverage and/or cultural shift in the past year. Positive, negative or both.

I'm not impressed with either since the two events which I thought both focused attention and united eyes in interest (mine at least) were the last year of the space shuttle Endeavour and Baumgartner making his jump.

The shuttle has had massive impact over it's life and it went out in style this year.

edit: at a push I would vote for Curiosity too, just for the eccentricity of it's design.

Suspended
Jul 18, 2009
"for better or for worse"

"for better or for worse"

For worse.... so now we reward people that do "bad" things with the title "Person of the Year". Geez Time Mag, shame on you.

FrogsterDude

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2011
As many have said, Cook is a great business man, maybe one of the best, but he is not exactly person of the year... sorry. I mean, if Steve Jobs didn't get it posthumously last year I'm not sure Cook is more deserving.

Also, I know it's person of the "year" but Jobs was well deserving for all he has done for the world by founding Apple. His company has completely changed the course of the human race.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Overseeing a 30% drop in the value of the company certainly qualifies him for something...but Man of the Year? I think not!

30% drop since when? The stock price at the beginning of the year was around $405. Today it closed at $533. That's not a 30% drop.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
Here are the poll results for Time's person of the year 2012.
http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2128881_2129111,00.html

It looks like Tim Cook is near the bottom of the list.
That poll doesn't decide anything though, and it was totally (hilariously) messed up by 4chan, who got Kim Jong Un at number one and managed to make the chart spell out KJU GAS CHAMBERS..

http://kotaku.com/5969335/north-korea-totally-trolled-by-4chan

You couldn't make this stuff up. :D

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
As many have said, Cook is a great business man, maybe one of the best, but he is not exactly person of the year... sorry. I mean, if Steve Jobs didn't get it posthumously last year I'm not sure Cook is more deserving.

Jobs omission was glaring but as I've said before this is not a measure of success. It's a measure of influence.

Cook took the reins of Apple this year, released iPhone 5 and various other products, sent the Apple stock higher, ****ed up Maps publicly, became the highest paid CEO in the world ...

in short HE MADE NEWS.

And that's why he's on the list.

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
At least he's a real guy. In the past they awarded it to fictional characters, intelligence fronts, - wait a minute... What does this say about Tim?

Chabba

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
Nothing Tim Cook, or Apple can do will compare to the things Malala did and the **** she went through. She's a badass little girl. :cool:

yauzers619

macrumors member
May 22, 2011
Malala Yousafzai all the way.

Tim Cook can be POY in 2013 when he moves all manufacturing of every Mac Product line to the US and still remains profitable.

eyhk

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2010
I find it absolutely hilarious that everybody is griping about Tim Cook when Marissa Mayer from frickin Yahoo got on the short list as well.

Chabba

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
WTF, Mohamed Morsi???? The new dictator? Didn't they follow the news the last weeks?

Hitler was Person of the Year, Stalin twice, Khrushchev, Deng Xioping and Putin. The person of the year doesn't have to be a good or well liked person.

pancakedrawer

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
Melbourne
Kim Jong Un is leading the polls by a long way thanks to 4chan. It will be interesting to see what Time does about that. His photo certainly isn't amongst those being promoted.

Pyrrhic Victory

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2012
A lot of you don't seem to understand that the Time Person of the Year award has nothing to do with heroism or virtue. That's why Morsi is on the list and I would have to consider him the favorite, if they are really considering a global perspective.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I think Cook is doing a great job, but Person of the Year seems premature. Much like Obama winning the Nobel Peace Prize his first year in office. :rolleyes:

I agree. Year 2012 was basically the year that Tim Cook survived the "Steve Jobs is Dead, No One Can Lead Apple Any More" meme. The world had high expectations of him to lead Apple in a post-SJ era, and Cook did a solid job. It was the minimum he could do.

Now if Cook can continue and build his successes in 2013, and show the world that Apple can have a blockbuster year (in 2013) in a post-Steve era, THEN he might deserve recognition like Person of the Year.

I'm not just talking about blockbuster year for sales. I'm actually talking about Apple being a huge success in all fronts that matter... like bolstering its brand image (recently under assault from various mistakes like Maps), or perhaps even coming to a resolution/settlement with the thermonuclear war against Samsung/Google.

----------

Hitler was Person of the Year, Stalin twice, Khrushchev, Deng Xioping and Putin. The person of the year doesn't have to be a good or well liked person.

Correct.

Time gives the recognition to individuals that have had GREAT influence on current events. Hitler and Stalin were two examples, and their actions affected millions upon millions of people on this planet. In other words, they made a mark on this world (for better or for worse).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.