Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AoS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
I know the iPad mini uses the same processor as the iPad 2, but I've been looking to finally purchase a tablet for the first time ever and I was wondering if the mini would be a lot slower than my iPhone 5. Anybody have any experience with this?

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
I know the iPad mini uses the same processor as the iPad 2, but I've been looking to finally purchase a tablet for the first time ever and I was wondering if the mini would be a lot slower than my iPhone 5. Anybody have any experience with this?

I had an iPhone 4s which is the same processor as the mini. I did not notice any difference at the time.

Now that I have an iPhone 5, the main difference I notice is in games. For Web Browsing or regular apps like evernote, I do not notice any difference.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California

iPhone 5 is slightly faster than the iPad with cellular data - I'm not entirely certain if that's the case for wi-fi, but my guess would be that it is also slightly faster over a wi-fi connection. iPad 2 is still a great gaming tablet, you'll notice not that much of a difference -- if you're that concerned about gaming speeds, you'd probably stick to a PC/console platform anyways.

Specs:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html
http://www.apple.com/ipad/ipad-2/specs.html

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
With iphone 5, everything seems instaneous. Switching apps for example, and what i like about the 5 is it has 1 gb of ram. Safari never refreshes itself anymore even though you have used other apps.

lawhochun

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
Hong Kong
I have both and the iphone 5 is noticeablely a lot speedier in terms of app switching and scrolling. I dont have any complaints about ipad mini's performance, tho one noticeable area is scrolling within heavy graphics apps e.g scrolling through list of apps in the app store, appears to be less responsive

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The iPhone 5 uses an A6 processor which is much faster then the A5, the GPU is better I believe even though its pushing more pixels. Overall the iPhone 5 processor/gpu is superior to the Mini's

JamesMyCQs

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2012
As I understand it, the iPhone 5 is faster than everything apart from the latest iPad (iPad 4 / iPad with Retina Display)

You won't really notice a difference with general usage: Both the iPhone 5 and Mini will provide a really smooth user experience when switching between apps etc, as people have said the main performance difference you'll see is in games.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
For me its not about speed - I think the performance of the Mini, iPhone 5 or even the iPhone 4s is sufficient for 90% of people's needs. If you're a gamer who pushes the limit of games then yeah I can see that but for every day usage I think its a non issue worrying which device is faster.

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
IMO, iPad/iPhone speed differences are only noticeable when compared side by side but in real world usage then most apps feel similarly enough that any speed differences are inconsequential (and often mental. Some people feel a need to justify their purchases so they start imagining speed improvements on apps that aren't even optimized for the newer processors).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.