Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
Seeing as to how everyone is ranting and raving about the 27" iMac and 680MX benchmarks, and could care less about the GT 650M, I've decided to show the 21.5" some love as once my 21.5" iMac arrives this week with the GT 650M, I'll run a battery of tests to see how it handles the latest and greatest titles! By the way, the Steam Winter Holiday Sale begins this 20th and runs until January 4th. I'll also try to upload some YouTube vids of the iMac's 650M in action. Now I know no one really cares about the 650M, as you're all still busy gawking and fawning over your 27 inchers and the 680MX benchmarks, but I still think it'll make for an interesting discussion nonetheless. Hopefully my system will arrive this Thursday, and I'll try to have some results posted come time this Saturday or Sunday. By the way, Apple really expedited the shipping on my order, as I ordered it on the 9th, with an expected delivery between the Dec. 21-27. However, it went to preparing for shipment and shipped on the same day, and should be delivered by the 20th! If no one cares, too bad, because I do! ;) :p To think I almost waited an entire year for the new iMac is just insane (Have been waiting since last February), and I'm excited to be a proud first time iMac owner!

phluid13

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2007
I care! Care Bears and care bear cousins! Stare!! Lol.

Ok joking aside, I actually care. I get mine tomorrow. 21inch, i7, maxed out ram and fusion drive. Ill try to post in this thread once I've had a chance to settle in with it.

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
I care! Care Bears and care bear cousins! Stare!! Lol.

Ok joking aside, I actually care. I get mine tomorrow. 21inch, i7, maxed out ram and fusion drive. Ill try to post in this thread once I've had a chance to settle in with it.

Lol, but does the bear care for the hare who stares at the turtoise who went bare?!? Seriously dude, the 21.5" is getting neglected and it ain't right! If you game, can you also post some gaming benchmarks as well please?

----------

Yes please! We need more benchmark for the 21.5 model!

Thanks!

I agree. If it helps, I ordered, the i5, 16GB RAM, & 1TB Fusion! I wondered whether I should've gotten the i7 but couldn't really justify it based on my regular usage. I'm sure benchmarks will still indicate how great this little machine can perform, in respect to its bigger brother :D

Trinite

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2010
I'm with you, MagicThief!

I'm still caught in your original dilemma - 21.5 650M vs. 27 680MX - so very much looking forward to hearing your thoughts about the 650M's performance.

phluid13

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2007
There are those individuals where the 21 inch is within their budget. This topic is more relevant than some may care to know. And there's probably plenty out there wondering if this will still suit their needs good enough for what they want. I will be doing some video editing and blizzard gaming, so this one will be fine for me I'm sure. My mid 2010 does fine with the blizzard games so I don't expect anything less for this upgrade for me. Ill keep you posted.

Apple souce

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2012
yes please, I odered a maxed out 21.5" and it should arrive in a week or two. Im looking forward to seeing how good the graphics perform as im sure that everything else is top-notch.

I got the 21.5 maily because the 27" is too big for me.

Too bad you can only upgrade the graphics on the high end 27, and that the difference between 640m in the low end and 650m in the high end is small. None the less the 650m should atleast be able to play on high or ultra at 720p res.

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
Could care less: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw

Quite the fail if you ask me, video makes no sense.

----------

yes please, I odered a maxed out 21.5" and it should arrive in a week or two. Im looking forward to seeing how good the graphics perform as im sure that everything else is top-notch.

Too bad you can only upgrade the graphics on the high end 27, and that the difference between 640m in the low end and 650m in the high end is small. None the less the 650m should atleast be able to play on high or ultra at 720p res.

Yes exactly, I'm doing this for all the people who went with the high-end 21.5" version, or are even thinking about going with the 21.5". It seems everyone here is smitten with the 680MX, that our poor little 21.5" guy has been left out in the cold. I'm sure the 650M can handle high-ultra gaming at resolutions of 720p/768p, maybe even 900p. I feel Apple should've tiered the GPU options as follows:

Base 21.5": 650M 512MB VRAM

High end 21.5": 660M 1GB VRAM

Base 27": 660M 1GB VRAM

And so on and so forth. Oh well these are the cards we were dealt and must make the most out of the situation. I agree, the 27" is really too big for me, and to settle for that large of a screen just for the GPU, when the real estate is not needed is just silly.

----------

There are those individuals where the 21 inch is within their budget. This topic is more relevant than some may care to know. And there's probably plenty out there wondering if this will still suit their needs good enough for what they want. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks dude! I will be posting benchmarks of a lot of recent titles, as well as D3. I personally feel this to be a relevant topic, otherwise, I wouldn't be wasting my time planning this.

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008

Unless your sitting like two feet from the screen you will quickly notice the size of the 27, it becomes so natural you cannot begin to wonder how you used a smaller screen before

ashleypenny

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2012

:confused:It was a lighthearted joke, but surely it makes perfect sense. In your OP you said 'could care less'; thats a commonly misused phrase, which makes no sense as explained by the video; if you could care less then you do care, and you could care less. the correct phrase is 'couldnt care less', implying you care so little that its not possible for you to care less.

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
:confused:It was a lighthearted joke, but surely it makes perfect sense. In your OP you said 'could care less'; thats a commonly misused phrase, which makes no sense as explained by the video; if you could care less then you do care, and you could care less. the correct phrase is 'couldnt care less', implying you care so little that its not possible for you to care less.

Well thank you for sharing and caring! But really, I could care less! #

AndiS.

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012

----------

Yes exactly, I'm doing this for all the people who went with the high-end 21.5" version, or are even thinking about going with the 21.5". It seems everyone here is smitten with the 680MX, that our poor little 21.5" guy has been left out in the cold. I'm sure the 650M can handle high-ultra gaming at resolutions of 720p/768p, maybe even 900p. I feel Apple should've tiered the GPU options as follows:

Base 21.5": 650M 512MB VRAM

High end 21.5": 660M 1GB VRAM

Base 27": 660M 1GB VRAM

And so on and so forth. Oh well these are the cards we were dealt and must make the most out of the situation. I agree, the 27" is really too big for me, and to settle for that large of a screen just for the GPU, when the real estate is not needed is just silly.

----------

Thanks dude! I will be posting benchmarks of a lot of recent titles, as well as D3. I personally feel this to be a relevant topic, otherwise, I wouldn't be wasting my time planning this.

The 21.5 iMac will definitely be able to handle gaming, I had seen this video where somebody is playing Far Cry 3 on their rMBP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0sSOHiK_uU

Not my video, but given that the rMBP also has the 650M, I would assume it should run even better on the iMac with the same card.

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
Found one!

The first video I've found online of the 21.5" iMac's 650M in action, albeit with a not-so-demanding title, but still nice to see how it performs, and handles gaming. My unit will hopefully be here tomorrow, and I look forward to uploading some nice videos of what the 650M is capable of.

http://youtu.be/WXP0f1xw0k8

----------

He or she is probably playing the game natively in OSX.

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
Also uber overclocked unlike the iMacs 650m...at least I think so. They didn't overclock the iMacs too did they?

Yes they did. Benchmarks on barefeats basically matched the RMBP at the same resolutions, so it would make sense that it was over clocked.

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
Yes they did. Benchmarks on barefeats basically matched the RMBP at the same resolutions, so it would make sense that it was over clocked.

An interesting observation. Some benchmarks even demonstrated the iMac outscoring the rMBP, but yeah, I wonder too if they also over clocked the card, maybe to match the performance of the 660M?

LachlanH

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
Seeing as to how everyone is ranting and raving about the 27" iMac and 680MX benchmarks, and could care less about the GT 650M, I've decided to show the 21.5" some love as once my 21.5" iMac arrives this week with the GT 650M, I'll run a battery of tests to see how it handles the latest and greatest titles! By the way, the Steam Winter Holiday Sale begins this 20th and runs until January 4th. I'll also try to upload some YouTube vids of the iMac's 650M in action. Now I know no one really cares about the 650M, as you're all still busy gawking and fawning over your 27 inchers and the 680MX benchmarks, but I still think it'll make for an interesting discussion nonetheless. Hopefully my system will arrive this Thursday, and I'll try to have some results posted come time this Saturday or Sunday. By the way, Apple really expedited the shipping on my order, as I ordered it on the 9th, with an expected delivery between the Dec. 21-27. However, it went to preparing for shipment and shipped on the same day, and should be delivered by the 20th! If no one cares, too bad, because I do! ;) :p To think I almost waited an entire year for the new iMac is just insane (Have been waiting since last February), and I'm excited to be a proud first time iMac owner!

It's "Couldn't Care less"

RAHAGAHGSHAGSHAGSHAGHAGSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am no word Nazi but my GOD this annoys the $&#* out of me for some reason.

Apple souce

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2012
Its good to hear that Its overclocked just like the rMBP but it still sucks that its only 512 mb vram. It would have been nice of apple if they gave the high end 21,5" a 660m or 1 gb vram because like I said before the only difference between the base and high end model is:
Processor bump of 200Mhz
Graphics bump to 650m
with a big price difference of $200

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.