Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
My 2012 MBP takes a full minute to shut down. Inexcusable.

Yep, I hope 10.8.3 does the job.

EDIT: But what drives me even more crazy are the ongoing Airplay issues starting with 10.8.2 and iTunes 11.

Last edited:

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
Same deal here. My 2011 MBP with a homebrew "Fusion Drive" setup takes about three to four times longer to shut down than to start up. It's absurd.

I'm really hoping that the release notes asking specifically for testing related to "graphics drivers" is good news too. The state of OpenGL on OS X is really quite dreadful - still stuck on 3.x and it's usually dog-slow compared to Windows/Linux on the same hardware.

How do you "homebrew" your own Fusion drive? Considering it's OS X code based and not a actual caching solution I'm really wondering how on earth you was able to pull something like that off.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
edit:
how to get it...

instructions are actually under NDA.... cut/paste removed.

but yes, basic idea
  • register as a paid mac developer
  • click download on the link
  • it will download fom app store

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Oooooh, you have to be a PAID Mac dev. :/

Yup.

If you're interested in developing for the mac platform in any sort of serious way, you'll need a code signing certificate for the app store which is included in the $99.

And if you're not seriously interested in developing for the mac, at least enough to pay the 99 bucks, you're probably not the sort of end user that apple want feedback from on in-progress features.

Its beta software. Apple want to contain it to a smaller subset of machines in case it does bad things.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Let's hope this one finally upgrades my Late 2008 MBP to a Retina version. I'm sick of the extra weight and the low resolution display, so they better get their stuff together!

Mr. Wonderful

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2009
Same deal here. My 2011 MBP with a homebrew "Fusion Drive" setup takes about three to four times longer to shut down than to start up. It's absurd.

I'm really hoping that the release notes asking specifically for testing related to "graphics drivers" is good news too. The state of OpenGL on OS X is really quite dreadful - still stuck on 3.x and it's usually dog-slow compared to Windows/Linux on the same hardware.

They pretty much focus on graphics drivers every release.

Drivers have improved a lot since the 10.5 days, but we pretty much know the graphical experience we're going to get on OS X. That's not going to change.

Personally, I'm hoping this update restores Advanced GPU acceleration options in CS6 with the AMD 6490M. Otherwise, I'm going to have to go Windows next time for CS.

ItWasNotMe

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2012
My 2012 MBP takes a full minute to shut down. Inexcusable.
LOL - my 2011 Mac Mini was once still running shutdown after 10 hours (left it overnight to see if it would ever finish...). Had none of 'my' applications active and no downloads in progress. In the end pulled the mains plug out, rebooted and verified all the disks.

Usually takes 10-15 minutes, even longer if Time Machine has started working out what it wants to do.

Quicker if all the external drives are dismounted in Finder first:confused:

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
My shutdowns take around 10 seconds on both my rMBP and Mac Pro. I don't know what causes those minute long shutdowns. Certainly something 3rd party.

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Coming back from sleep is still terrible on rMBP... USB becomes sluggish, external keyboard doesn't wake up the system...

Graphics switching is still pretty bad. :(

Same here, even after using Quartz debug some UI things are lagging again. It's obviously a software issue, I hope this fixes it.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Please please PLEASE let it solve the Logic Pro lag issue! PLEASE!!!

Based on what I've read online, I doubt it's fixed in this beta, but hopefully by final release of 10.8.3. Sounds like they just figured out how to reproduce it consistently on their end, probably needs more than just a couple days to fix.

robalo

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2012
iCal snooze

Hoping Apple will fix the iCal snooze that allows just 15 minute snooze. Variable snooze times are a must that where lost in Mountain. Keeping fingers crossed.

:)

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
apple have just put the combo and delta dmg files onto the mac dev center so you can now update from these instead of the mas.

and also changed the seed note to add:

Combo or delta manual update:

- Log into your Apple Developer account and download the OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.3 Update (Combo or Delta).

- The OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.3 Update (Combo) updates:
OS X Mountain Lion 10.8, 10.8.1, 10.8.2 GM, or previous seeds of 10.8.3.

- The OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.3 Update (Delta) updates:
OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 GM or previous seed builds of 10.8.3.

EDIT: These have since been removed due to the release of build 12d44

Last edited:

sflomenb

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2011
Does anyone know if the problem when the Mac loses internet connection in sleep mode has been fixed?

mag01

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2011
As for slow shutdown, unfortunately no improvement in this build (MBA 2012).

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
This is pretty sad. Apple has moved to an annual release cycle for OS X, placing 10.9 not too far into the near future, and 10.8 is still giving a good amount of users grief.

Some prominent bugs for many:

- WiFi connectivity since 10.7
- The "Chris Angel" disappearing mouse cursors
- Graphic glitches (static images in many core apps)
- Slower system functionality compared to 10.6 even with more RAM
- SMB and file sharing protocol nightmares
- An antiquated HFS+ Finder (even ZFS would have been much better, which has been discussed at great length since 10.5 beta's)
- Less configuration options with such OS X utilities as AirPort Utility 6.0 (thankfully I can drag and drop 5.x as it will not install in 10.8)
- OpenGL Core way behind other systems
- iWork '09 and iLife '11 are barely updated save for iOS "features"
- Axed Keychain and Dock syncing bet Mac's, and iDisk (shame Dropbox wasn't acquired)
- Axed web hosting
- OS X Server became a cheaper app addition and lacks important aspects that 10.6-7 Server offered
- Oh look, more social networking thrown into every core app. Yeah.

You'd believe all these dropped components would give Apple engineers more time to focus on producing a polished system as previous years have shown. Ironic.

God I miss the days before 10.7. Bring back Bertrand Serlet!

Last edited:

mag01

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2011
This is pretty sad. Apple has moved to an annual release cycle for OS X, placing 10.9 not too far into the near future, and 10.8 is still giving a good amount of users grief.
God I miss the days before 10.7. Bring back Bertrand Serlet!

Agreed.
Though as for ZFS I don't like it much for its memory requirements - it's more suitable for server environments. Though there are ways how to scale the RAM usage down (more or less).

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
What i really liked about OS X before Lion and Mountain Lion that shutdown was very much instant (at least for me).

Now it seems all kinds of crappy services have taken the stage and all the Snow Leopard optimisation has taken the backstage.

Right, now it feels if you are working on a Windows computer.........:eek:

Is it just me, or does opening the systems settings window take far more time then it did under 10.7?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.