Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Just noticed that my iPhone 3G's screen won't light up. I made a call about half and hour ago and everything was working fine. Now, nothing.

I tried calling myself from my work phone and it rang just fine, but no screen, so I couldn't answer it. I'm going to stop by the Apple Store on my way home from work in an hour but if anyone has any ideas before that I'd love to hear them.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Well, I plugged it in and held the Home and Power buttons for ~10 seconds and nothing happened, but I kept holding it and after ~45 seconds the Apple logo appeared, and then about two minutes later the screen came back and everything seems to be working normally.

Strange.

iPhone-user

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2008
The same thing happend to me today also, I have the 3G and just got it yesterday and today I was playing a app game and all of a sudden it froze and shut off, I plugged it up and it beeped and I held down the home and power button but nothing came up on the screen. So I did what you did and held the power button down for 45 seconds and it works fine now.

Italchef

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2003
Maple, Ontario
This also happened to me the other day. Holding the two buttons was the only way to get it back. It must be a glitch with the new update. Too bad, the update has rectified my email issues.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Do you have a case that's covering part of the face? They put another sensor on the front and that is causing this problem on a lot of phones. Hope that this helps. :)

I've had this iPhone 3G since the day after release and I've had a Contour Flick on there since about a week after that. This is the first time I've had this problem.

vrflyer

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
Suburb of Columbus
I've had that happened to me at least twice on the old 2.0.2 update (ever since v2.1 it's been ok though). I though it was odd or just a fluke. :apple:

rageboi

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2008
I've had this problem a few times over the past month or so, the only way to rectify is to hold power and home buttons to restart.

Thankfully it has only been half a dozen times so far so no big deal yet.

:)

stevepeck

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
HULL-Yorkshire-UK
XFiles

Wow this seems very strange indeed, a black screen.
Maybey you should contact the writer of XFiles and they could work it into there next series.
The truth is out there

Shahmeer Salman

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
I also had this problem. I held the two buttons for about 10secs and the apple logo appeared.
If you have a case, before doing this, take out your iPhone and then try this. Try to keep your hands very calm while using it

Jawulska

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2014
I have a similar problem but different...

Hi,
Maybe you can help...
My iphone4 does make sound when I plug it in, in fact it keeps registering that I've plugged it in, over and over, while maintaining a black screen.
Please can you help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.