Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
First you need to actually get your facts straight before people can attempt to "defend" anything. It's $8-12 MILLION, not BILLION. Nice attempt at being falsely hyperbolic.

I'm also pretty sure that Samsung makes a LOT more electronic products they market/advertise than Apple.

Is that chart just computers/mobile electronics?My guess is no.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
First you need to actually get your facts straight before people can attempt to "defend" anything. It's $8-12 MILLION, not BILLION. Nice attempt at being falsely hyperbolic.

The chart goes up to 12,000 million.

That's 12 billion.

Yes... Samsung spends nearly 12 billion on marketing.

That chart shows 12,000 million?

Indeed - 12,000 Million = 12 Billion, otherwise Apple would spend just under 1 Million if you read the graph Intarweb's way :p

Intarweb

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2007
The chart goes up to 12,000 million.

That's 12 billion.

Yes... Samsung spends nearly 12 billion on marketing.

That chart shows 12,000 million?

I'm also pretty sure that Samsung makes a LOT more electronic products they market/advertise than Apple.

Is that chart just computers/mobile electronics?My guess is no.

Indeed - 12,000 Million = 12 Billion, otherwise Apple would spend just under 1 Million if you read the graph Intarweb's way :p

I'm an idiot.

I now know why something didn't sit right with me as I was submitting the post.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Sounds to me like he's saying that things are fairly good in our part of the world, all things considered. I tend to agree.

Oh. I thought he was suggesting that a company was getting off easy. I also think you can't compare a company with an individual. Especially when talking about hands getting cut off. The equivalent MIGHT be that the company's products are banned and that was certainly on the table, wasn't it?

urbanslaughter1997

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007
As a former resident of Oregon and current New York Resident, New York is the obvious choice. This state is doing a ton to develop its high tech industry. There's literally no better place in the world for nanotechnology and they're growing other techs as well. New York is poised to become the next Silicon Valley.

Justinf79

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2009
Oregon
This would be double nice for Oregon, as Intel is looking to expand their Hillsboro plant significantly as well.

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
Oh. I thought he was suggesting that a company was getting off easy. I also think you can't compare a company with an individual. Especially when talking about hands getting cut off. The equivalent MIGHT be that the company's products are banned and that was certainly on the table, wasn't it?

Well, that kind of thing you can recover from. You can't recover from getting your hand removed, at least not completely. But this is all very off-topic. :p

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008

It does sound ridiculous sure but is not 8,000 million, 8 billion?

Dead horse........beaten. I didn't reload the page before posting.

Last edited:

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
To be honest, I don't think IBM is really interested in any kind of Apple Products, IBM focuses on Super Computer/High end server kinda processors.

The IBM East Fishkill fab used to produce PowerPC processors for the Mac Gx line up until Apple moved to Intel.

Henriok

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2002
Gothenburg, Sweden
The IBM East Fishkill fab used to produce PowerPC processors for the Mac Gx line up until Apple moved to Intel.

And it's used to produce the CPUs to Nintendo's Wii and Wii U, at volume that far surpasses all other PowerPC processors made for Apple. Ever.
However.. less than the SoCs Apple is using in the iDevices.

Cinnabar

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2009
United Kingdom

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
As a New Yorker, I second this! The New York Times recently published articles about how companies that get concessions from state and local governments rarely deliver on their promises. :mad:

not only that but making CPU's creates pollution. let someone else have these problems

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
I hope, in this case, that you therefore think twice about what you buy based on the conditions people have to suffer through in the backyards where they are made....?

I was a blue-collar worker in electronic industry. I know the work place conditions. It's even more nasty in old days.

SqB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Northern Colorado
I'm an idiot.

I now know why something didn't sit right with me as I was submitting the post.

:cool: Respect for ownership of the error. You have restored my faith in the people of the Interwebs.

----------

I'm personally glad to see as much of this move back to the US as possible. I believe that there is a pollution component to this fab, but it is better controlled here by people that have the ability to demand a safe working environment and careful maintenance of any waste in a way that can't exist in the other areas where these products are being manufactured.

Basically, people of NY or OR won't put up with unsafe practices where people in other countries may not have a choice.

Cobra611

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
Beacon, NY
To be honest, I don't think IBM is really interested in any kind of Apple Products, IBM focuses on Super Computer/High end server kinda processors.

IBM doesn't need to be interested in Apple. But, it has huge fabs already built and they are looking to lease the space that has been unoccupied for years.

----------

Doesn't IBM have a hand in the PS3 as well?

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Hey Apple...

there is a TON of unused clean-room space ready and waiting for you at the IBM East Fishkill, NY complex!!! With experienced workers ready for employment!!!

When was it built? Demanding requirements for the latest technology would likely need to have a total rebuild anyway. It would be great to get experienced workers. NY is a right to work state, isn't it? If not, the price of the chips would likely become too high to compete.

thebeans

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2009
Already Made Here

:cool: Respect for ownership of the error. You have restored my faith in the people of the Interwebs.

----------

I'm personally glad to see as much of this move back to the US as possible. I believe that there is a pollution component to this fab, but it is better controlled here by people that have the ability to demand a safe working environment and careful maintenance of any waste in a way that can't exist in the other areas where these products are being manufactured.

Basically, people of NY or OR won't put up with unsafe practices where people in other countries may not have a choice.

True it is good for the US to have more manufacturing here. But these chips are already made here. They will just be made in NY or OR if this all comes to pass instead of being made in TX where they are made now. However, Samsung will likely keep the TX fab operational and just use it to make other chips so the net result should be good.

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
That is just totally ignorant.

Many of those industries you mentioned would still be in the dark ages if it wasn't for electronics. The medical industry for one wouldn't exist in its current form without electronics.

Frankly after reading your series of posts I'm left with the impression you are of weak mind and easily manipulated. Think about that a bit. You pass more pollution every time you sit on the can then most semiconductor plants that are well operated.

Please name a Nobel Prize in Medicine winner who is major in electrical engineering.

I know, nuclear industry advocates say the same thing.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
As a former resident of Oregon and current New York Resident, New York is the obvious choice. This state is doing a ton to develop its high tech industry. There's literally no better place in the world for nanotechnology and they're growing other techs as well. New York is poised to become the next Silicon Valley.

It's what the NY state government wants, I agree. There is expertise here. Thanks to IBM, of course, there's a skilled labor pool in the area, and there's also the educational programs. For example, RIT in Rochester has its own fab. You've got other big tech schools in the area like RPI, WPI, and of course MIT, so the northeast is a great place for technology education. NYSTAR has been active in turning NY into a major player in technology, particularly hardware I think, taking advantage of all those local tech students.

I really don't know what Oregon has going for it, other than proximity to the Pacific. I hope NY gets the factory.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Seriously, there is no need to have another fab on the planet earth. Semiconductor manufacturing is not a clean business.

Then we need many more fab lines. Human life expectancy in countries that do a lot of leading-edge semiconductor manufacturing is longer than the planetary average. If fabs are poison, then more fabs in those countries will help even things out.

:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.