Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrbigglessworth

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
I purchased and received my first Apple computer product last Monday Dec 10.

It is a 2.6Ghz, 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM with a Retina LG screen with a Week 49 build.

I had very minor game performance issues for the first 2 days under Windows via bootcamp, but after applying various updates all is well.

I have had no lagginess, no slowdown, no EFI wonkiness (it shipped with the latest) and have not had to reset the SMC at all.

It connects just fine to Wifi N, sleeps and wakes instantly, no lagginess, no stutteryness, nothing of any sort of issue that I see constantly reported about in this forum.

Ive used the trackpad and an external wireless mouse, Ive used a thunderbolt to DVI adaptor for a 20 inch external monitor and I even share the mouse with my Windows desktop both from Windows via bootcamp and OS X (via auto start options using Synergy. Synergy itself is a bear to setup, but that is a different issue)

I can VNC to my Windows box when needed (it is home premium 7 so RDP/Cord wont work right now) and access shared network folders via wifi in Windows via Homegroup and via finder Command K Lookup.

I also have a 3TB External USB3.0 drive for backup purposes that just flies on data transfer rates.

VMWare works as expected and running Win7 via by bootcamp partition and a VM of Ubuntu side by side is no sweat.

Gaming performance is insane compared to my 6 year old desktop. Its very difficult to drop below 120 fps in Team Fortress 2, and I was getting 50fps or more with everything turned on (except shadows) in Star Wars the Old Republic. My old system averaged 35 fps and 25 fps respectively.

Fans kick on and spin up appropriately to manage heat, and it does get warmer in Windows in games than it does under Mac but I do not see any reports of any system throttling of the processor speed to compensate. After the introduction videos of whatever I play, I see the cpu speed ramp up to 2.6Ghz.

All in all, my biggest issue is just learning the ins and outs of how OS X behaves.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Sorry to disappoint you. Your rMBP is just the normal average one.

:p

kh3khalid

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2012
So this thread is just to show off your 16GB and 512GB SSD? :p

As the last poster said it's an average rMBP that anyone can get, nothing special about it. But as a machine compared to other brands or your older desktop, it's an epic one. Everyone with a rMBP has an epic machine.

mrbigglessworth

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
Everyone? Mine is not epic, it is not the 2.7 with 768, I though providing specs was relevant to the situation, if you see this as showing off, then well, that is your issue.

I have been browsing the forums here for several months and see nothing but constant griping and complaining about various issues with the 15 inch retina models. I just thought it would be for a nice change of pace to show that sometimes, a machine exhibits no problems and provided a reference point for performance based on previous hardware.

Last edited:

Spetsnazos

macrumors regular
May 3, 2012
there is scrolling lag on certain sites but if you go to those sites with other laptops or desktops you'll get the same thing...

mrbigglessworth

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
I dont seem to know what scrolling lag is as any site that I visit functions as expected. I dont have any unexpected delays when I move down any particular page. Ive been using both Safari and Chrome.

I have seen people mention this lag, but I simply just dont see it, or my tolerance for perfect scrolling inst so tight as to notice a determent in performance.

Last edited:

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
I have seen people mention this lag, but I simply just dont see it, or my tolerance for perfect scrolling inst so tight as to notice a determent in performance.

This is pretty much it. They all lag but it is a very subjective item so some users notice, some don't. I notice it but it doesn't bother me. I love my retina - 0 complaints and I even have a few dead pixels.

lwilliams

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2012
Athens, GA
I have to report the same results. After I got mine 2 weeks ago, I got worried reading all the bad things people were saying here. But this device is perfect! I'm glad your is too! :D

golf1410

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA
Sry dude, they will release a better one in next 6 months and fix all the issue relate to heat and display. They will have a new Intel Haswell that will support even more pixels and double GPU performance in CPU. Ivy bridge does not deserve retina display as it has weak GPU core. What you have is just a laptop that Apple was trying to push the hardware to the limit, test the market and say to Intel hey look! Make a better one next year because we sell a lot of retina MBP.
Intel. Ok!

Spetsnazos

macrumors regular
May 3, 2012
Sry dude, they will release a better one in next 6 months and fix all the issue relate to heat and display. They will have a new Intel Haswell that will support even more pixels and double GPU performance in CPU. Ivy bridge does not deserve retina display as it has weak GPU core. What you have is just a laptop that Apple was trying to push the hardware to the limit, test the market and say to Intel hey look! Make a better one next year because we sell a lot of retina MBP.
Intel. Ok!
Lold where do you get these "facts". The GPU performance isn't going to make much of a difference. Tell me exactly when the rMPB suffers in terms of performance? About the only good thing with haswll is battery life will be better by about 10%

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
Intel. Ok!

You realize that the 15 inch MBPr has a DISCRETE GPU right? Unlike the 13 inch, the 15 inch version has no problems running the retina display. And personally, I think even the iGP option is manageable on the 13 inch (although not ideal).

----------

Everyone? Mine is not epic, it is not the 2.7 with 768, I though providing specs was relevant to the situation, if you see this as showing off, then well, that is your issue.

I have been browsing the forums here for several months and see nothing but constant griping and complaining about various issues with the 15 inch retina models. I just thought it would be for a nice change of pace to show that sometimes, a machine exhibits no problems and provided a reference point for performance based on previous hardware.

People tend to run to forums if they notice a problem with their laptop. Majority of people haven't had problems with the laptops or it would have blown up big time and Apple would have been forced to perform a recall. Hope you're enjoying your MBPr! I got mine recently and it's a mega laptop.

----------

It's going to turn back into a pumpkin at midnight.

Ah I heard some of them did that! Is there a code to see if mine will as well? ;)

golf1410

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA
Lold where do you get these "facts". The GPU performance isn't going to make much of a difference. Tell me exactly when the rMPB suffers in terms of performance? About the only good thing with haswll is battery life will be better by about 10%

Google dude. Read the news. It is all over the Internet. Intel has release the info. In term of performance we all know, with millions of pixels are driven by GPU in CPU and Nvidia. That is why Apple overclock the GPU and that is why rmbp is hot when you play games like diablo 3 and you really can't put the game max out video setting. Some frames drop. Bra bra. Hardware is not up there yet. Accept the fact. You will see the different when the Haswell is in rmbp. This is not the first time Apple put the hardware limit..

golf1410

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA
You realize that the 15 inch MBPr has a DISCRETE GPU right? Unlike the 13 inch, the 15 inch version has no problems running the retina display. And personally, I think even the iGP option is manageable on the 13 inch (although not ideal).

I understand where are you coming from. I just pointed the fact about the GPU in CPU. Thats why ppl use the command to switch to Nvidia card for smother experience. However, this Nvidia card is overclocked by Apple to drive milion of pixels. when you on battery, it is on intel GPU by default or you need to plug in AC. Or you have to put command to force it to use Nvidia card. Just saying, in 6 months intel will response to the demand of high resolution display with more suitable CPU. The experience will be even beter than this generation. At usual, Apple first generation products do have some problem, and they are sloved in the next generation. Thats why ppl say IRON rule, Dont buy the first generation producr from Apple. Wait until rev or next gen. I myself have had this laptop as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUIdQB_O3qM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
I understand where are you coming from. I just pointed the fact about the GPU in CPU. Thats why ppl use the command to switch to Nvidia card for smother experience. However, this Nvidia card is overclocked by Apple to drive milion of pixels. when you on battery, it is on intel GPU by default or you need to plug in AC. Or you have to put command to force it to use Nvidia card. Just saying, in 6 months intel will response to the demand of high resolution display with more suitable CPU. The experience will be even beter than this generation. At usual, Apple first generation products do have some problem, and they are sloved in the next generation. Thats why ppl say IRON rule, Dont buy the first generation producr from Apple. Wait until rev or next gen. I myself have had this laptop as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUIdQB_O3qM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Yeah they aren't going to make a product WORSE in subsequent generations but having used the MBPr, it's a very polished product in it's own right.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
No you didn't, because you got the LG screen which will most likely show image retention problem sooner or later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.