Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluthndr

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
I really doubt you even have a Note II.
You created a new account today and this is your first post?
If you really had a note, you would not have all those negative feedback and to say that the battery is about the same as an iPhone? You have got to be nuts.

Most posts I've read from every new Note II buyer has been very positive.
You on the other hand had mostly negative comments.
I'm not saying there are negatives to the phone but you really seem like a troll.

Yup dude. I am on an apple forum talking about my Note 2 experience. Since it is not a glowing review including the standard cut & paste of "quad core" and "2100 mah" of the samsung stat sheet I must be a troll... *shakes head*

sorry I wasted everyones time. I just thought people might want real world feedback instead of another stat recital or speed test. I actually read through this forum thoroughly before making my decision to drop my iphone and go note 2 (which according to you I dont even own).

Note 2 is awesome! Apple is the best! Rah rah samsung. Rah rah apple. There now everyone can call me a fan boy.

Unreal.

Admin, please delete my account here.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I really really want to get a note 2. I'm just not sure if its a big enough upgrade from the s3 I have.

I have an S3, and wanted the Note II also. But in the end I felt like the two were too similar to justify the upgrade, so I ended up getting a Nexus 4 instead. Couldn't be happier.

swy05

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2008
Yup dude. I am on an apple forum talking about my Note 2 experience. Since it is not a glowing review including the standard cut & paste of "quad core" and "2100 mah" of the samsung stat sheet I must be a troll... *shakes head*

sorry I wasted everyones time. I just thought people might want real world feedback instead of another stat recital or speed test. I actually read through this forum thoroughly before making my decision to drop my iphone and go note 2 (which according to you I dont even own).

Note 2 is awesome! Apple is the best! Rah rah samsung. Rah rah apple. There now everyone can call me a fan boy.

Unreal.

Admin, please delete my account here.

Haha.

The Note2 has a 3100mAh battery. I dont even own a note2 and I know this.

You sure you have this phone?

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Can't find a way to use different tones for text/email/phonecalls/vm/etc so I don't have to pick up and look at my phone 100+ times a day.

You set these from menu -> Settings within each individual apps - Messaging, Email (you can set different tones for each account) or GMail.

You can set individual ringtones for particular people under Contacts.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
I've noticed it's popular to say that Samsung's software is subpar. And I can kind of see that with the original touchwiz in the Galaxy S, but I think with the Note 2, they seem to be the only phone manufacturer that are adding innovative features in their phones. The way you could interact with the stylus were really impressive.

I wish it was a bit cheaper off contract though.

Apart from wishing everything was cheaper, how can you complain about the price when its cheaper than a 16gb iphone 5 but you can do alot more on?

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
Apart from wishing everything was cheaper, how can you complain about the price when its cheaper than a 16gb iphone 5 but you can do alot more on?

Of course. I'm merely speaking from my financial perspective. I was comparing it to the Nexus 4's price but I don't expect Samsung to subsidize this phone.

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
Could someone please comment on the speed of the Galaxy Note II? More specifically, the home screen lag (which is apparently fixed after disabling S Voice on the Home button?), general responsiveness of the phone (is it instantaneous? Is S Pen interaction as quick?) and general speed of the Apps. Considering the thing has four cores, I'm skeptical of most people mentioning lag but after experiencing it in a phone shop last week it's made me double-take.

Also - what's the calendar application like with the Note II? Do you interact with the same app regardless of your finger vs stylus? Cheers.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
If you have s voice enabled, there's a bit of lag between pushing the home button and getting back to the home screen because it's waiting for you to hit the button again, perhaps a bit too long IMHO.

The S pen also definitely lags, not a whole letter behind or anything, but you can see the input trailing behind you as you draw it, which doesn't surprise me all that much. Adding a note: None of the apps are designed to be used by a stylus: All included apps can be used with your fingers or your stylus, even the s note app. Drawing on PDFs (with the latest version of adobe reader) kicks ass, and the handwriting recognition is really surprisingly good. I'm not even trying to be an android fanboy there, it's ****ing good. I would have expected an iPhone to have that kind of handwriting recognition if it had n-trig stylus capability, which is a damn shame it doesn't. It's a huge disappointment that the iPad doesn't have it! Imagine the note taking capabilities! The fat pens suck!

Seriously Apple, the iPad needs a stylus. Then I could actually use the damn thing in engineering classes and I'd buy one without question. Until then I don't want one.

As far as catching app lag, like having a list not scroll 100% smoothly, I have seen that once while quitting an app (the transition appeared to not be 100% smooth) - kinda surprised me, but it was the Safeway Just4U app, which has been known to spontaneously crash on everyone I know. XD I'm kinda laughing at the fact I remember that!

I think the note 2 makes a really nice phone though, quite the opposite of what was said earlier in this thread. The handset speaker is really good, the proximity sensor works really well, and the in-call control is fantastic. Samsung even ripped apple's green status bar (while in call) off and that worked fairly well I might add XD

What was really bad about the Note 2 was the out of the box experience. For starters, they botched up the plastic wrap the phone was in - it looks like they just didn't wrap the phone all the way and stuffed it in the box such that the wrap was all kinked up on the bottom. I thought I had a used phone for a moment, but it was spotless and several others that ordered it on slickdeals had mentioned similar.

That said, the touchwiz "new phone" wizard is bloat, and so are at least 5-6 apps that came with the phone. Oh yea, and the samsung keyboard sucks - swiftkey 3 works MUCH BETTER, but then you have to switch back to the samsung one if you want to draw things. The problem with the samsung one is that it works great and has a 5th row of just numbers, really fantastic, but the moment you start typing on it, it shrinks to one-handed mode and there's no way to make it get back easily without digging into a menu to turn that off.

To finish on a more positive note: The popup s notes (if you take the pen and hold its button and tap the screen twice, you'll get one) and the popup browsers are super cool, and kinda take a peek at what I'm hoping to see more of in the future: THE ABILITY TO HAVE OVERLAPPING WINDOWS ON PHONES AND TABLETS! YES!

I admit it. I'm a frigging viking. I want to see a more easily accessible filesystem and overlapping windows as an option on phones and tablets. Squee!

Last edited:

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Could someone please comment on the speed of the Galaxy Note II? More specifically, the home screen lag (which is apparently fixed after disabling S Voice on the Home button?), general responsiveness of the phone (is it instantaneous? Is S Pen interaction as quick?) and general speed of the Apps. Considering the thing has four cores, I'm skeptical of most people mentioning lag but after experiencing it in a phone shop last week it's made me double-take.

Also - what's the calendar application like with the Note II? Do you interact with the same app regardless of your finger vs stylus? Cheers.

Can comment about the calander as I dont use it but I dont get any lag on touchwiz at all. When I was trying different launchers I did notice it a big so I deleted them now its smooth as butter. The s pen is very repsonsive I thought it was a gimmick at first but I use it all the time now so much more accurate than using ur fingers.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
I find the phone very responsive too, as I said the pen lags very little, I think my wacom probably has lag, but it's hard to detect because I'm writing on one surface and looking at another.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I have heard good things about the Note 2, but to quote the ninja turles "I've said it before, and I'll say it again".....if you truly are invested in the eco-system there is no replacement comparable. I could not replace my iphone with any other phone and do what I do. Granted I could use an ipad to do most of it, but I don't have that with me outside of the house.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
I don't buy into that ecosystem nonsense. It's like bumper sticker tech talk or something.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I don't buy into that ecosystem nonsense. It's like bumper sticker tech talk or something.

Agreed. It might not be as seamless but you can still get things to work. I've done it on Android phones/tablet and I just started doing it with my new Windows Phone 8 HTC 8X.

(previous iPhone owner, current Mac owner)

doomfront

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Thanks for the great answers.

How easy is it to play .avi and .mkv files on the Note II?

I've had zero problems. With avi

I actually use plex and just set up the media server on my PC at home and use that to stream all of my movies and TV shows works flawlessly over 4G. Might not be ideal if you don't have unlimited data though.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

Agreed. It might not be as seamless but you can still get things to work. I've done it on Android phones/tablet and I just started doing it with my new Windows Phone 8 HTC 8X.

(previous iPhone owner, current Mac owner)

Phillips hue lighting system...use it every day and have it on timers and use away from home (cannot do those features on the andoird version). Manage my airport express's (cannot do it with an android phone). Control my apple tv (cannot do it on an android phone). Reminders showing on my mac and pc with not effort (cannot do with android). Do you seem where I am getting at? If you actually use the eco system the phone is a huge part. Most people say they are in the eco-system but only use icloud or own a mac and ipad and think that means in the eco system. I would agree they are not truly in the eco-sytem. Once you have the right apps and go beyond owning just a mac, ipad, iphone.....they offer so many other products that are apple exclusives

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Phillips hue lighting system...use it every day and have it on timers and use away from home (cannot do those features on the andoird version). Manage my airport express's (cannot do it with an android phone). Control my apple tv (cannot do it on an android phone). Reminders showing on my mac and pc with not effort (cannot do with android). Do you seem where I am getting at? If you actually use the eco system the phone is a huge part. Most people say they are in the eco-system but only use icloud or own a mac and ipad and think that means in the eco system. I would agree they are not truly in the eco-sytem. Once you have the right apps and go beyond owning just a mac, ipad, iphone.....they offer so many other products that are apple exclusives
The lighting thing is just something you need to inform the developer about. You only tried it briefly.... it may already have that feature now. Regardless that is not really part of the ecosystem per se.

I think if you only look at Apple solutions you create a false-dichotomy that you are stuck in that ecosystem with no easy way out. You brought up reminders, for instance. That is not only possible on iOS/OS X. Very easy to use Google Tasks that sync with a variety of Android apps. But, unlike Apple who only wants to play with Apple, you can also use the same solution that works on Android on iOS (free). So I can manage tasks on my macs, pc, iPad, iPhone (soon to go), and Nexus 4. I can't say the same with Reminders from iOS/OS X.

This arrogant "all in" mentality of Apple is beginning to annoy me. I used iCloud, iMessage, Reminders, iTunes Match, etc. But I dropped all of it now that I have an Android phone because Apple won't play nice with anyone but themselves. They are lucky Google isn't that way because if Chrome was not available on iOS and OS X I might just reconsider Apple entirely.

Michael

Last edited:

doomfront

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
I imagine it'll need some third-party software or will it play natively from the SD card?

I've never even tried the native video player app. Haven't tried it since Gingerbread. I know Mobo player has played everything I've thrown at it through the years though

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
This arrogant "all in" mentality of Apple is beginning to annoy me. I used iCloud, iMessage, Reminders, iTunes Match, etc. But I dropped all of it now that I have an Android phone because Apple won't play nice with anyone but themselves. They are lucky Google isn't that way because if Chrome was not available on iOS and OS X I might just reconsider Apple entirely.

Michael
You think Google is any different? I've been a gmail user since it started back in 2004. Now with this whole mobile war going on....gmail has decided that unless you have an android device they won't support it like they used to. They are dropping google sync and are forcing users to use imap and caldav etc. They are forcing users to use their apps if they want push. How are they any different?

So now if I want to keep gmail around on my iOS devices i have to change things up completely different than it used to be and i still can't do everything I used to be able to do. I don't want a separate app for just gmail...I want to use the email app on my iPhone. So now I will have to set it up as an imap with no push capabilities. The biggest issue for me is calendar though. my family uses it to schedule things and set reminders etc. Now using caldav it does not have the capability to add invitees.

So you are trying to force me to get an android now? I was highly interested in a Note 2, but that went out the window now with this. I've dropped gmail completely after using it for 8 years.

Google and Apple are very similar in how they operate like that....but don't act like Google is some amazing company that is highly supportive of all platforms.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
You think Google is any different? I've been a gmail user since it started back in 2004. Now with this whole mobile war going on....gmail has decided that unless you have an android device they won't support it like they used to. They are dropping google sync and are forcing users to use imap and caldav etc. They are forcing users to use their apps if they want push. How are they any different?

So now if I want to keep gmail around on my iOS devices i have to change things up completely different than it used to be and i still can't do everything I used to be able to do. I don't want a separate app for just gmail...I want to use the email app on my iPhone. So now I will have to set it up as an imap with no push capabilities. The biggest issue for me is calendar though. my family uses it to schedule things and set reminders etc. Now using caldav it does not have the capability to add invitees.

So you are trying to force me to get an android now? I was highly interested in a Note 2, but that went out the window now with this. I've dropped gmail completely after using it for 8 years.

Google and Apple are very similar in how they operate like that....but don't act like Google is some amazing company that is highly supportive of all platforms.

Do you mean that is something are are going to change with mail on IOS? ...b.c I just add my gmail and it has always worked. It may not be as good as the gmail app, but it works.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona

As an FYI I will be outraged if exchange support is removed from my account. So far it has not happened (at least for me) and I would hope there will be an uproar if and when it does.

Michael

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
Android also forces us to use a gmail app too. I never really understood why android just doesn't have one email client like on ios. That has always been the one thing on android that annoyed me.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Android also forces us to use a gmail app too. I never really understood why android just doesn't have one email client like on ios. That has always been the one thing on android that annoyed me.

I agree. The default one is bad, and if you just use gmail the gmail app is great....but things like yahoo mail are terrible and who really wants multiple mail apps.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Do you mean that is something are are going to change with mail on IOS? ...b.c I just add my gmail and it has always worked. It may not be as good as the gmail app, but it works.

you have to setup your device as exchange so you can get push etc. just adding from the default gmail thing won't change. It won't really affect the newer users, but mostly the old ones that have been around since it started and that use it as exchange

http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2716936

----------

As an FYI I will be outraged if exchange support is removed from my account. So far it has not happened (at least for me) and I would hope there will be an uproar if and when it does.

Michael
if you have free gmail or free google apps it will still work to devices already synced, but if you get a new device after January 30th you will not be able to set it up as exchange. It's not removed from my account, but anytime in the future that i get a new device it won't work. I will be stuck with imap...use their app and not be able to invite attendees on the calendar.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.