Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tburk32

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
I didn't see anyone else post this and I'm not sure if I'm doing something unethical or if it will come back to bite me later but I am actually enjoying the adventure of trying to get all of the songs that I have that are in the itunes store to match instead of upload. What I did yesterday was upload my 'uploaded' itunes match songs to the google play music service to see if they would match on google's side. I didn't go through all of my 232 songs that were uploaded to determine if they matched on google or not but I redownloaded them from Google, added them to my itunes library and re-ran match. Surprisngly 40 songs that were previously uploaded on itunes match now showed "Matched" status. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with what I did with google or if the songs would have worked had I just re-ran match on the same songs but I just thought I'd pass along my findings...

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
I didn't see anyone else post this and I'm not sure if I'm doing something unethical or if it will come back to bite me later but I am actually enjoying the adventure of trying to get all of the songs that I have that are in the itunes store to match instead of upload. What I did yesterday was upload my 'uploaded' itunes match songs to the google play music service to see if they would match on google's side. I didn't go through all of my 232 songs that were uploaded to determine if they matched on google or not but I redownloaded them from Google, added them to my itunes library and re-ran match. Surprisngly 40 songs that were previously uploaded on itunes match now showed "Matched" status. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with what I did with google or if the songs would have worked had I just re-ran match on the same songs but I just thought I'd pass along my findings...

I was wondering the same thing, I am going to give this a try! Thanks for the informative post!

tburk32

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
I am curious to see if you experience similar results. It would also be beneficial for someone to test it by rescanning the items in itunes match to see if anything changed on Apple's side or if it truely is Google's music helping the matching process.

mactmaster

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
I'll check this out tonight. I only have about 10 songs left that are in the iTunes Store but show up as uploaded. I've been re-ripping tracks to get them to match. I also have done things like clip songs to more closely match the length that is shown on the iTunes Store and sometimes that will get it to match. Sometimes converting to AAC will help with matching a song. My library is just about 99% Matched or Purchased with 1% remaining being tracks that are not on the iTunes Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.