Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benjamins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
The hardware isn't the issue here. We all need to stop worrying about that side of it.

Content delivery will be the real story.

exactly. it's the content the matters.
No reason for any fancy TV is there is no content. Apple needs to be able to do better than Netflix, Amazon and Hulu.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Here is how you all will justify that you "need" a Apple TV.
It likely will be a unibody design machined from aluminium with a apple glowing on the front.
You would use your iPhone , iPod touch or iPad as a remote. And there will be a Apple TV built in.

I have bought 2 TVs in about 12 years.

I will just wait until Apple TV 6 unless my kids break the current one, or the screen goes bezerk...etc.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
It all comes down to content. Until Apple TV can provide live sporting events and first run network/cable content, it will NEVER be able to make a dent in the cable/satellite model.

It already does this.

You can view LIVE NBA, MLB and NHL (when they get back to playing).

Apple has also had free live concerts. The entire month of September, you could see 1-3 concerts a day.

Apple TV also provides Hulu Plus, which is first run network/cable content.

Apple is not there yet, but it's getting there quicker than you think. I think that soon, Apple TV will have live streams of TV channels. But the market is going a different direction - where you don't just watch a live channel, you instead watch SHOWS. And these become available at a certain day/time, instead of just watching a stream waiting for the content. You click when the content is available.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Buy or start a satellite company. Everyone has access, real time access without huge download times. Show the content on a super-duper hi-res new technology screen controlled by a sleek box and remote.

Everything else is a hobby.

KanosWRX

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
LCD TV = No Thanks

Plasma's have always been better for watching Movies on, LCD's have not caught up to the black level quality that Plasma's give. But then again the normal consumer and probably normal forum user here doesn't even know or care about this so they will just take whatever Apple gives them and say its better without doing any actual research.

NOV

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2004
The Netherlands
I don't think that Cooke (or any other Apple executive) has the charm and vision that Jobs had to get content partners on board, as Jobs managed with iTunes. I'm pretty sure we will be stuck with a Samsung look-a-like although it might offer some more available content. They probably come up with some TV-variation of the magazine they developed for iPad (sorry, forgot what it was called), that will flop within a year.

Apple TV/ iTV has all the potential to become Apple's next big flop and send $AAPL into its 300-400's.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I'm guessing this well set the benchmark price of $2,000

Ha, probably a lot higher. Bose has a 46" LCD and just because it has Bose's special sound enclosure in it they are asking $5000 for it. Unless a consumer is just a Bose fanatic that's too much money to ask. Apple's TV MAY start at $2000 but I wouldn't count on it being that low.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
I'm a bit worried if they are getting into the TV panel market as there is so little money to be made as the panel isn't where the cash comes from, but the broadcasting etc is what i think they'll do and they can continue with an apple TV for that. Putting an Apple TV with a panel just seems like a way to loose money.

I bet apple will go 4k If they do it and maybe even sell it as a panel with a small box. some kind of NFC or wifi to push the picture to it instead of lumping it into one unit. Panels to me seem like a way for apple to loose money to me? anyone else have details about possible profits or lack of on what apple are getting into if this rumour were true?

TrentS

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
Overland Park, Kansas
The Future!!

What if the new Apple TV could be a one 1/4 inch thick see-thru rectangular glass panel that you could mount on your wall ( maybe 60 inch in size ), and when not watching tv, it would act as a digital photo display, but when sent a wi-fi signal from your cable box, or satellite, it would become a beautifully lit TV display? Complete with a see-thru remote control, Siri integrated.

:D :D :D :D

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
exactly. it's the content the matters.
No reason for any fancy TV is there is no content. Apple needs to be able to do better than Netflix, Amazon and Hulu.

Where's the money in just being a distributor of content? I can't imagine Apple is making a lot off the $99 ATV as it stands right now. I thought I read somewhere that iTunes is not much more than a break even business. IMO it's the content and user interface that's the hook to get someone to buy a premium TV. And since people don't upgrade TVs that often there would be an ATV type box to supplement or for those who already have TV set and aren't looking to buy new. But I have a hard time believing no one buys TV's anymore so there has to be some market of people interested in a new TV.

Heinsenberg

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2011
Murrieta, CA.
Ha, probably a lot higher. Bose has a 46" LCD and just because it has Bose's special sound enclosure in it they are asking $5000 for it. Unless a consumer is just a Bose fanatic that's too much money to ask. Apple's TV MAY start at $2000 but I wouldn't count on it being that low.

I actually own the Bose TV; VideoWave. 46" LCD sounds amazing and it the user interface is great to say the least. It was $3999. This is in my bedroom and if have never heard what it sounds like, you should give it a listen.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I don't get how all the Apple haters think that all Apple will do is make a thin TV set, put an Apple logo on it and sell it for double the price of a competing set.

Apple has NEVER done that with any of it's hardware.

Apple is about the SOFTWARE as well as the hardware. iPads are selling like crazy because of the software's ease of use. Same with iPods, MacBooks and MacBook Airs.

Apple TV will come with a value-add that makes it well worth the price, or it won't sell. Simple as that.

Apple sold 'MP3 players' for twice the price of rivals, and beat them all. Apple sells laptops for twice the price of rivals, and is the leader in laptops. Apple sells tablets for twice the price of rivals, and is the leader in tablets.

It's because of the SOFTWARE, but nay-sayers won't wake up.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
Apple should go back to the basic and focus more on computers rather than all these gimmicks. As of late, they are good at pissing people off. Fix the internal os before moving to something else. It's like they are selling half ass products and moves on to build another half ass products.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
What if the new Apple TV could be a one 1/4 inch thick see-thru rectangular glass panel that you could mount on your wall ( maybe 60 inch in size ), and when not watching tv, it would act as a digital photo display, but when sent a wi-fi signal from your cable box, or satellite, it would become a beautifully lit TV display? Complete with a see-thru remote control, Siri integrated.

:D :D :D :D

And seamless remote control from my iPad or iPhone.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
I don't get how all the Apple haters think that all Apple will do is make a thin TV set, put an Apple logo on it and sell it for double the price of a competing set.

Apple is about the SOFTWARE as well as the hardware. iPads are selling like crazy because of the software's ease of use. Same with iPods, MacBooks and MacBook Airs.

Apple TV will come with a value-add that makes it well worth the price, or it won't sell. Simple as that.

Apple sold 'MP3 players' for twice the price of rivals, and beat them all. Apple sells laptops for twice the price of rivals, and is the leader in laptops. Apple sells tablets for twice the price of rivals, and is the leader in tablets.

Maybe apple will make tv into a nice iOS device since they had been focusing on it. Maybe we can walk to our new Apple TV and swipe to change the channel?

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011

Are current tv's that difficult to use?

danakin

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
Toronto
In my opinion, the most important thing a TV can do is provide a wonderful display. How I get media on to it is secondary. I have a Denon Blu-Ray player, a cable box, and an Apple TV all connected via HDMI through a Denon receiver.

My (main) TV is a Panasonic Plasma that easily bests the Sony LCD I have in the bedroom.

Plasma still provides an overall better picture experience than LCD/LED. If this supposed Apple Television is not a Plasma display, or an OLED by the time it's released, it will have a second-rate display. This makes it a no-go for me.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I actually own the Bose TV; VideoWave. 46" LCD sounds amazing and it the user interface is great to say the least. It was $3999. This is in my bedroom and if have never heard what it sounds like, you should give it a listen.

I'll bet it does sound amazing. I love Bose. I own a Lifestyle system. I think when these companies try to incorporate their proprietary technologies it just bumps up the price too high though. For example, if you're a Bose fan you can only get up to a 55" LCD TV from them and that bad boy cost $6000. The website doesn't even mention if the backlighting is full array. I hope so at that price but there are Bose fans that would like a 60 or 65" and that's just not an option and if it was it would be at a price not affordable by many.

This is why I'm concerned that Apple's TV won't be priced in an affordable range for many unless they keep the sizes of the panel small such as a 46" to 50". I would rather have the TV I choose and the sound system and internet applications separate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.