Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
If someone told me they had $500 to spend on me today I would be shopping for the following (and only purchasing what I could with the $500 of course):

• New toilet for powder room
  • New vanity
  • New mirror
  • 12" compound sliding miter saw
  • Router (wood)
  • 500 sq ft of flooring

Though I'd love to buy fun stuff, there is something pretty great about knowing I can resume using the powder room bathroom again because running upstairs when I really have to go sucks. Oh and I am old and boring.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I like the idea, but Intel yields $.90/year, not quarter (which is still a very good 4.4% yield). So it's $21.60 a year from those 24 shares. Not sure where $64.80 came from (that would be three payments of $.90 a year I guess).

I see that you calculated a value 40 years from now based on dividend yield only and got $31k, but unfortunately with the proper 4.4% yield, if it remained constant, you'd end up with just $2,799 in 40 years. Of course, there could be significant capital gains in excess of the dividend yield, or the opposite could happen.

Again, I'm ALL for starting early with investing, and $500 is NOT too little to start, but just wanted to make sure the numbers are correct.

Thank you for the correction, surely don't want to mislead anyone! Note to kids: always check your money facts, don't trust anyone with your money.

Again thanks for fixing me.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
I know it sounds stupid, but I'm getting an iPhone 5 32GB with AppleCare plus and some clothes.

I have an iPhone 4S 32GB in perfect condition with box and all accessories originally packed that I can get about $300 on Craigslist.

So new iPhone 5 for me, new clothes and $300 in my pocket. I'd say I made out okay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.