Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
I am 100% sure that everyone here has no idea what Apple will do with a TV. But I'm also 100% sure that 6 months after it's released, 25% of you will want one, 25% of you will hate those who want one and claim they are sheep, 15% will have one already, and 35% will say "I'm waiting for the Apple TV2, THEN I'm getting one..."

You know I'm right...and that's because Apple has done NOTHING to make me think that they haven't thought of something that will make this TV like no other one on the market.

Then 6 months later Samsung will come out with the "S-TV/S-Voice-Enabled Galaxy/IV/ZZXXR-Note-56/Sharpness+" and claim they didn't copy Apple's TV or Sharp's technology.

Finally 4 years later Samsung pays out $40B in a judgement for copying the Apple TV, while 25% of you will claim they cannot patent rounded corners on TVs. And the other 75% will own an Apple TV by that point...

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Are current tv's that difficult to use?

The CONTENT on current TVs _IS_ hard. We've all gotten used to it, but it can be a lot simpler.

Think about what you do now: You turn on the TV, look at whatever guide listing you have to see 'what's on right now', and tune to that channel. If nothing is on, wait around wasting time surfing until your program comes on.

Nothing has changed in 50 years except the guide is now on-screen instead of in the newspaper.

What I want to do: I see the TV blinking 'new shows available'. Turn on the TV. Choose a TV show I want to watch. If there are new episodes, watch them right now. Similar to a 'subscription' of shows, and a notification of new shows available. And categories of SHOWS, not NETWORKS.

This is similar to what Spotify, Pandora, Rhapsody, etc. have done for music. I don't have to listen to a radio all day long for my favorite songs. I can choose what I want to hear, and skip over songs.

TV will change. Whether Apple changes it, we will see.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
The CONTENT on current TVs _IS_ hard. We've all gotten used to it, but it can be a lot simpler.

Think about what you do now: You turn on the TV, look at whatever guide listing you have to see 'what's on right now', and tune to that channel. If nothing is on, wait around wasting time surfing until your program comes on.

Nothing has changed in 50 years except the guide is now on-screen instead of in the newspaper.

What I want to do: I see the TV blinking 'new shows available'. Turn on the TV. Choose a TV show I want to watch. If there are new episodes, watch them right now. Similar to a 'subscription' of shows, and a notification of new shows available. And categories of SHOWS, not NETWORKS.

This is similar to what Spotify, Pandora, Rhapsody, etc. have done for music. I don't have to listen to a radio all day long for my favorite songs. I can choose what I want to hear, and skip over songs.

TV will change. Whether Apple changes it, we will see.

But this content has to be delivered by some service provider, and for many that is Verizon, Comcast or some local cable company. What will be their incentive to deliver the content they currently sell free so that you can pay Apple for the content instead of them?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I don't get how all the Apple haters think that all Apple will do is make a thin TV set, put an Apple logo on it and sell it for double the price of a competing set.

Apple has NEVER done that with any of it's hardware.

Apple is about the SOFTWARE as well as the hardware. iPads are selling like crazy because of the software's ease of use. Same with iPods, MacBooks and MacBook Airs.

Apple TV will come with a value-add that makes it well worth the price, or it won't sell. Simple as that.

Apple sold 'MP3 players' for twice the price of rivals, and beat them all. Apple sells laptops for twice the price of rivals, and is the leader in laptops. Apple sells tablets for twice the price of rivals, and is the leader in tablets.

It's because of the SOFTWARE, but nay-sayers won't wake up.

If Apple products came in cheap plastic enclosures (and before anyone chimes in, yes I know not all plastic is crap) would they sell as well? I doubt it. Buying do agree, if Apple does a TV there will be more too it than how it looks. The UI and content will be the hook. If Apple can't get the content side worked out they won't do it.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
If Apple products came in cheap plastic enclosures (and before anyone chimes in, yes I know not all plastic is crap) would they sell as well? I doubt it. Buying do agree, if Apple does a TV there will be more too it than how it looks. The UI and content will be the hook. If Apple can't get the content side worked out they won't do it.

Perhaps the UI will be like iOS?

saturn88

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2011
Ha, probably a lot higher. Bose has a 46" LCD and just because it has Bose's special sound enclosure in it they are asking $5000 for it. Unless a consumer is just a Bose fanatic that's too much money to ask. Apple's TV MAY start at $2000 but I wouldn't count on it being that low.
Bang & Olussfen TV is $20,000
Sharp Elite 70" $8,000
Sharp Elite 60" $5,500

maroontiger2k9

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2009
I'm no insider/analyst, but they will NOT be at CES. Not Apple's style. Too early.

Everyone is so quick to say you won't buy an Apple TV, but wait until they reveal it. Guarantee everyone's story will change. TV Set w/ set top box built it or solely a standalone set top box.

Im sorry but i can honestly say that im not buying the 1st gen... i might wait until 2nd-3rd gen

the apple tv 2nd box is more than enough functionality to hold me over and prevent my jaw from shattering the floor from the apple television unveiling :cool:

I personally think that the 1st gen will be similar to the ipod mini in the fact that it is cool enough and provides more than enough functionality worthy of a purchase, but apple will hold back on a few ground breaking features to be added in the 2nd-3rd gen

jwdsail

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
Thoughts...

Apple will not sell an AppleTV TV/display until they can make a huge leap in image quality with 4K at a reasonable (Apple reasonable) price.

This will require advances in technology (More Google Fiber and similar, h.265 looks promising.. etc) and partnerships, perhaps gaining exclusive rights to 4K content. (Disney - Lucas, Marvel, ESPN, etc) Perhaps a partnership w/ Red? I think Apple would distribute 2K and 4K content online in a h.265 based format along with higher quality (less compressed) 4K content via a Red partnership.. at least until bandwidth and bandwidth caps improve. 4K will take time, I expect distribution to follow the progression of Netflix.. Start with a mix of hard media and online until bandwidth catches up..

If Apple could secure exclusive rights to 4K content, (Disney - Lucas, Marvel, ESPN, etc) this would out-manuver the cable companies, allowing Apple the level of control of the user experience they always aim for.

The current AppleTV will continue to be improved, and will remain the primary 1080p TV device from Apple. I'd say that we will see the AppleTV mature in the next year to be what many of us want. It will gain 3rd party apps, it will gain Siri and Leap Motion (like) controls. I don't think we'll see an AppleTV TV/display until these much needed improvements come to the current AppleTV. The Display will come after these improvements have been beta tested by users of the 1080p AppleTV box.

I'm quite happy with my current Sony HDTV, Mac mini, and Tivo. If the current AppleTV box gains 3rd party apps and better controls, I can see adding one to the current mix. I wish the TV were larger, 55-65 is what I want now. I do not plan to replace this TV until it dies, and I hope 4K displays and content will be available by then.

Antares

macrumors 68000
What would they call it? iView? iTeeVee? iWatch? iScreen?

I will be in the market for a new TV later this year. But that may be too early. Either way, I would happily consider an Apple branded TV as long as it had the same visual quality as a top-end Samsung along with Apple's design aesthetic. This is even before any off the added features that Apple would bring...

I salivate at the prospect of a 4K TV in a reasonable price range.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
Here is how you all will justify that you "need" a Apple TV.
It likely will be a unibody design machined from aluminium with a apple glowing on the front.
You would use your iPhone , iPod touch or iPad as a remote. And there will be a Apple TV built in.

Oh man its going to have a glowing apple on the front? I'm sold..

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
55" is to small these days. Thats what I have now and want 65 when it comes time to replace the one I have.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
But this content has to be delivered by some service provider, and for many that is Verizon, Comcast or some local cable company. What will be their incentive to deliver the content they currently sell free so that you can pay Apple for the content instead of them?

Yes, I agree that this is a major problem.

However, Verizon, Comcast, etc. do not own any of the content, the Networks do. Do the Networks care whether Verizon, Comcast or Apple delivers this content? No. Depends who gives them the most money for their content.

One solution to the internet service providers is the government. The government can regulate internet costs.

Another solution is to have the content providers (network) pay for the internet costs by you paying for network content.

Things must change in a major way. Apple TV right now is just a hobby, because these problems don't have solutions as of yet.

----------

If Apple could secure exclusive rights to 4K content, (Disney - Lucas, Marvel, ESPN, etc) this would out-manuver the cable companies, allowing Apple the level of control of the user experience.

Entirely correct. If buying an Apple TV was the only way to get ESPN content, for example, this would change the game.

The only reason I subscribed to DirecTV at one time was because of NFL Sunday Ticket. All the other programming was the same.

Plus, Apple could even do something like, 'FREE TV' with a 2 year service contract. Something to change the game completely.

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Mar 15, 2008
Europe
i would bet a 55" apple tv would run about $4900.

and i'll still buy it. (damn you apple!)

At that price it better be a plasma screen then. There's not one LCD panel in the market that delivers really good video quality. Even the experimental LED-pixel screens have the same problems in the dark-grey to black area. At least that's my opinion as an engineer in TV production/broadcasting.

uknowimright

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2011
Yes, I agree that this is a major problem.

However, Verizon, Comcast, etc. do not own any of the content, the Networks do. Do the Networks care whether Verizon, Comcast or Apple delivers this content? No. Depends who gives them the most money for their content.

One solution to the internet service providers is the government. The government can regulate internet costs.

Another solution is to have the content providers (network) pay for the internet costs by you paying for network content.

Things must change in a major way. Apple TV right now is just a hobby, because these problems don't have solutions as of yet.

250px-Comcast_Logo.svg.png

aprofetto8

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
I imagine there's a ton of prototypes in Apple's labs. Even in the Biography of Steve Jobs they talk about all the prototypes they go through before a product goes into production.

For sure they're experimenting with a TV prototype, probably have been for years. I just don't see what the purpose of it would be.

Where Apple needs to come in is UI and content. They need to do to TV and Movies what they did with Music. If they're somehow able to get content on demand and wrap it all in a nice set top box, then I think they'll have the golden ticket.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Why would I replace my TV?

Clearly you have not been brain washed but the Apple marketing yet :p

I hope they also update their set top box as I don't need and can't afford a new TV right now, after getting my 27" iMac with the works.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
I am 100% sure that everyone here has no idea what Apple will do with a TV. But I'm also 100% sure that 6 months after it's released, 25% of you will want one, 25% of you will hate those who want one and claim they are sheep, 15% will have one already, and 35% will say "I'm waiting for the Apple TV2, THEN I'm getting one..."

You know I'm right...and that's because Apple has done NOTHING to make me think that they haven't thought of something that will make this TV like no other one on the market.

Then 6 months later Samsung will come out with the "S-TV/S-Voice-Enabled Galaxy/IV/ZZXXR-Note-56/Sharpness+" and claim they didn't copy Apple's TV or Sharp's technology.

Finally 4 years later Samsung pays out $40B in a judgement for copying the Apple TV, while 25% of you will claim they cannot patent rounded corners on TVs. And the other 75% will own an Apple TV by that point...

Hi Tim.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.