Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ellen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2007
I was wondering if this is a glitch in iTunes 11, or something else - has anyone else experienced such a problem?

I purchased the 12-12-12 concert from iTunes and tried to play it off my Sonos system. I couldn't "see" it in the Sonos music library, and eventually realized that all the songs were m4p which is not supported by Sonos. In the past, all my purchases were m4a (or older purchases upgraded via iTunes Plus).

I then noticed that in one of the drop down menus there was an option to convert files to AAC. So I figured I would give it a try - and voila, each song copied itself as an m4a file which hopefully is the same quality as the m4ps though I see that the file sizes are somewhat smaller.

This strikes me as very odd.

Ugadawgs

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
I have noticed the same issue with some purchased downlosds. In my case, when I try to covert the m4p files to AAC, I cannot. I get an error saying I can't because the "protected files cannot be converted." Aggravating to say the least.

oiplus

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2012
Same here

Same issue with me, for albums/songs that are marked as "album only", they download as m4p files. I have contacted the iTunes store and they didn't answer my question, just giving me a copy/paste speel about what iTunes Plus is and how all files are protection free, which they aren't, which is the problem in the first place.

I bought an album for my daughter to play on her non-Apple device, and of course it wouldn't play because the file is protected. Apple did refund my money on the purchase, but still couldn't answer as to why the files are now m4p.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.