Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I doubt they ever originally intended getting into the app and music sales business, until they saw what Apple was doing with it.

This is not factual statement, I don't believe it, I've never said it. It's a lie.

Explain what Fully Funded means.

And I am sure Google had every intention of getting into apps, movies, music, etc because an ecosystem is what it is all about. No ecosystem = no loyalty.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Explain what Fully Funded means.

iOS is fully funded by hardware sales. Does Apple make money on ads and app sales? Sure. A pittance.

The bottom line is this:

Apple funds its mobile OS development - and bases its profit plan - on hardware sales.

Google funds its mobile OS development - and bases its profit plan - on advertising.

You can split hairs and twist words and dig up old posts all you'd like, but this is the simple truth. That's all I have to say on this topic.

Have a Google day! :cool:

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
iOS is fully funded by hardware sales. Does Apple make money on ads and app sales? Sure. A pittance.

The bottom line is this:

Apple funds its mobile OS development - and bases its profit plan - on hardware sales.

Google funds its mobile OS development - and bases its profit plan - on advertising.

You can split hairs and twist words and dig up old posts all you'd like, but this is the simple truth. That's all I have to say on this topic.

You are the one twisting words. The question was fully funded. Anyways, I think this topic's gone on long enough and you're not about to admit that you were wrong.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Come on guys, he's saying that advertising is NOT THE ONLY source of their revenue. He never said it's a major portion.

Absolutely. The problem is that he's arguing a point that nobody is disagreeing with.

You are the one twisting words. The question was fully funded. Anyways, I think this topic's gone on long enough and you're not about to admit that you were wrong.

As pointed out earlier, samcraig's initial statement was: "It has been said that all of Google's revenue comes from Ads. LagunaSol for one says it repeatedly."

The quote from LagunaSol was about Android, so regardless of whether you want to force a strict definition of "fully funded", the initial statement was still wrong.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

The bottom line is this:

The word you mean to use then is mostly as in mostly funded. Fully funded is not accurate

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
If Google's system takes off, I'm sure the Labels will cry foul about lost revenue and then we'll see what happens. For now it seems the labels think getting the lump sum up front is a good deal, meaning they don't have much faith in the long term income potential like they do with iTunes Match.

How could you possibly deduce that to be the case? How do you even know that the upfront payment model wasn't Google's stipulation?

And even if you're right, who really cares about what the Music industry thinks in terms of technology in music since they pretty much had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century with digital Music? Those people have absolutely no vision regarding digital music delivery mechanisms and are complete luddites.

These same people whose opinion you seem to care about so much previously considered that the internet would be the downfall of the music industry, and now, less than a decade after it's release, iTunes is the worlds most popular music vendor.

Last edited:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
It's accurate enough. It characterizes the situation in a manner consistent with the facts, where arguing the opposite (as you are doing) misleads.

Maybe for you. I prefer full disclosure of the truth. Not somebody's "interpretation." Sort of like saying someone is "a little" pregnant ;) Or condoms are completely effective ;)

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Their revenues from online advertising funds the development of Android (which, BTW, operates at a loss).

Do you have a source for this? I'm pretty sure Google makes enough money from Android ecosystem sales and licensing Gapps (Gmail, Google play, Maps, Youtube etc) to vendors to cover development costs of Android.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Source? And what proportion of Android development costs come from advertising rather than ecosystem revenue and gapps licensing?

This is my point exactly. LagunaSol tells me that I can't let truth get in the way...

And yet - he states things like Android is fully funded by advertising. If Google has more than one revenue stream - no matter how small and no matter if you think it's splitting hairs or not - the TRUTH is - it is not FULLY funded. It might be majorly funded or almost entirely funded. But not FULLY.

We're ready to go into full production with our new product, sir
So we received full funding from our investors? We don't have to use any of our own funds?
Yes. We are fully funded.
We have the 1,000,000 needed then - we don't have to use any of our savings? That 1,000,00 came from our investors?
Well - we have $960,000 - but that's just as good as fully funded. You can just round up...

But I digress...

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Google is the new Microsoft amongst the more hardcore Apple fans these days, it seems.

Hey guys! You know competitor X? I hate them so much for all their copying!

You know who copies the most? Canon, Konica, Brother - man - those copiers are nuts!

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
IMO you're wrong. Unless you have something which could change my mind.

In your opinion? It's a matter of fact that AAC is non-proprietary, and it's supported by numerous players and devices from many manufacturers. Changing your mind is irrelevant when you would assert opinion as a response to verifiable fact, but you still might wish to read a bit. Here's this, for starters: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
In your opinion? It's a matter of fact that AAC is non-proprietary, and it's supported by numerous players and devices from many manufacturers. Changing your mind is irrelevant when you would assert opinion as a response to verifiable fact, but you still might wish to read a bit. Here's this, for starters: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding

I was referring to the bottom portion of the quote. You should have read the post right after the one you quoted.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Granted, it's not vendor-specific (really made a mistake thinking that).
But there are enough players without support for AAC, with the Sandisk Sansa Clip/Clip+ line being notable examples that are still being sold. For a small, inexpensive player, they are really good ones (audio quality is much better than the iPod shuffle, and at least on par with the iPod touch).

But I might consider switching to AAC - even tough open source (Rockbox!) support is - unfortunately - limited in some areas.

Huh. I didn't know that. As I said, every player I've checked in recent times, including basic players built into feature-phones, have all had AAC support. I remember when I discovered that my old car stereo, with its big selling point of supporting MP3 disks, turned out not to support AAC, I was mildly annoyed. However, the AUX Input allowed me to connect my iPod well enough. Now, just recently, I had occasion to go and buy a new car stereo, and I specifically asked about that, and was told that there was not a stereo in the store that didn't support AAC now. So, while my information was incomplete, from my sampling it does seem that the vast majority of players do now support AAC format... FWIW...

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
And even if you're right, who really cares about what the Music industry thinks in terms of technology in music since they pretty much had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century with digital Music? Those people have absolutely no vision regarding digital music delivery mechanisms and are complete luddites.

This is kind of the problem though isn't it? The reason iTunes worked was that the deal has to care about them while coming up with a solution for digital delivery. It's like telling your local grocery that since they don't offer "Pea Pod" delivery, your just going to steal their stuff instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.