Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which looks better

• iMac + 2x Thunderbolt

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • Mac Pro + 3x Thunderbolt

Votes: 22 51.2%

• Total voters

badman89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
Check out this triple monitor set up. I want this so bad! My question:

iMac (27") + 2x Thunderbolt Display (27")

OR

Mac Mini + 3x Thunderbolt Display (27")

Basically I need to know if I can put a thunderbolt display on either side of the iMac and it will all line up properly (unlike in the picture with the Dell displays).

Last edited:

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012

OR

Mac Pro + 3x Thunderbolt Display (27")

Basically I need to know if I can put a thunderbolt display on either side of the iMac and it will all line up properly (unlike in the picture with the Dell displays).

The iMac won't line up properly with the thunderbolt display. I think this was a bad idea on Apple's part.

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
2012 27" has two Thunderbolt/mDP ports. The Dells used are U3011 (30" 2560x1600). You can use the Dell U2711 (27" 2560x1440 like the 2012 27" iMac).

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
it is a real shame that the imac does not properly line up with the thunderbolt displays .. just makes it look weird. I want to run a triple monitor setup as well but it just doesnt look right doing it with the iMac:(

badman89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
Sorry, I meant mac mini, not mac pro.

Is it possible to connect three displays to the mac mini? Would I be able to watch a movie spanning all three?

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC
here is my setup... only one TB display and a samsung display/TV on the other side (I'd like another TB, but just can't justify another grand!)

looking into options to raise the TB and samsung to make them level with the iMac, but it's ok for now

one of the best parts of this thin iMac, even though it's just the edges, is that the edge of the TB display fits right behind it at the angle I'm using, cutting the amount of bezel between displays in half :)

Attachments

• imac-2012-19.jpg
    imac-2012-19.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21,708

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
My desk is messy atm or I'd take a picture.

But I have 2 - 27" iMacs (2012/2011) w/ a 27" thunderbolt display hooked to the 2012 iMac.

I use a free program called Synergy, so I only use 1 keyboard and mouse. My mouse moves over to my bootcamp machine just like the dual screen, its rather amazing, seamless and fluid everything flows. I just can't drag anything over the the Windows machine of course.

You would never know I am running Windows on 1 screen if you didn't see the little Start Icon and quickbar on the bottom. Quite impressed how it looks and works.

I wasn't really aware till recently that you could move so seamlessly between two different computers and OS's. But in the end this works out perfectly for me as I do need Windows/Parallels for work stuff.

I was going to originally get another thunderbolt display and sell the 2011, but for me this is absolutely a perfect set up.

Also, triple monitor backgrounds are so fun, and look so cool too. :)

badman89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
here is my setup... only one TB display and a samsung display/TV on the other side (I'd like another TB, but just can't justify another grand!)

looking into options to raise the TB and samsung to make them level with the iMac, but it's ok for now

one of the best parts of this thin iMac, even though it's just the edges, is that the edge of the TB display fits right behind it at the angle I'm using, cutting the amount of bezel between displays in half :)

Thank you so much for your response. However, your picture is rather disappointing to me - as it shows that the Thunderbold Display and iMac display are misaligned!

When you say that you're trying to raise the TB what exactly do you mean? Is the height adjustable? Or are you just thinking of putting something below the base?

Penn Jennings

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Michigan

OR

Mac Mini + 3x Thunderbolt Display (27")

3 x Thunderbolt Displays... 3 x 2560x1440.. 11,059,200 pixels... driven by an Intel HD 4000 integrated GPU?

I'll be honest, I have ZERO experience with that arrangement but it sure sounds like a bad idea if you can even get 3 displays to work. I thought the limit was 2 but again, I'm not sure.

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC
Thank you so much for your response. However, your picture is rather disappointing to me - as it shows that the Thunderbold Display and iMac display are misaligned!

When you say that you're trying to raise the TB what exactly do you mean? Is the height adjustable? Or are you just thinking of putting something below the base?

putting something below the base... see this thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1242827/

the OP has a stand for his that looks like what I might get. perfect spot to slide the iPad under too

bill phillips

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2012
aligning the imac with tb displays

ok guys heres what you do, I have the same setup, 2 tb displays and a 2011 imac, (waiting on my new 27 now, which apparently isnt vesa compatable) and for the longest time i looked into options for aligning the three...and heres what i came up with, I bought 3 independent mounting arms (erogtech 7500 hd to be exact) vesa mounted all three and it works awesome.

What your going to have to do if you got the new iMac is use two mounting arms for the two outside tb displays and use them to raise them up to align with the imac which you'll just leave on its stand. Well this is what ill do anyway..or if your not running some type of eyefinity setup,and you dont want to spend the money just leave it alone, they look fine next to eachother, it really doesn't matter as each screen is independent anyway... hope this helps

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
Problem solved

I use 2 of these with my thunderbolt displays to align them with the imac

http://www.twelvesouth.com/products/hirise_imac/

bill phillips

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2012
or you could use the 12 south high rise absolutely. Its definately the cheapest way to go aside from propping something underneath it...I personally just didnt like the way it looked at all..I like the imac stand the way it is originally..imho

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008

How did you connect the TB to the imac? Can you use the existing built in cable from the TB to the imac or you have purchase a standalone cable?

ste0803

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2012
Gateshead//Newcastle/UK
Am i the only one who has thought of buying a 27" imac for the main unit & 2 further (even older) imac's for target display mode for the 2 other screens?

granted isn't a cheap option but would look even.

would mean they all look the same and are all the same height and resolution.

Ste0803

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC
How did you connect the TB to the imac? Can you use the existing built in cable from the TB to the imac or you have purchase a standalone cable?

the TB cable on the TB display is plugged into one TB port on the iMac and an MDP to HDMI adapter is plugged into the other. For some reason I couldn't daisy chain iMac > TB display > HDMI, the HDMI display just didn't show anything

Arman

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
SoCal
Why not buy two thunderbolt displays with new iMac and then pickup two VESA mount kit and two floating arm VESA stands. That would be a nice setup. You could line it up just right and the two side monitors would look like they are floating. You would be looking at about 2500 out the door

Arman

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
SoCal
I don't believe Mac Mini can do 3 thunderbolt displays. You can max run two of the thunderbolt port. A third would need some sort of hdmi to mini display port adapter and even then I think max it can only do 1080p natively, otherwise you have to SwitchResX and force at 40Hz. Not totally sure.

Read Here

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
I don't believe Mac Mini can do 3 thunderbolt displays. You can max run two of the thunderbolt port. A third would need some sort of hdmi to mini display port adapter and even then I think max it can only do 1080p natively, otherwise you have to SwitchResX and force at 40Hz. Not totally sure.

Read Here

I thought with thunderbolts u-buet chaining we could have 10(?) devices from the one port?
Of course, that's not saying that the Mac mini video has the grunt to run more then 2 displays, but just a comment regarding the selling speal about thunderbolt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.