Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

super!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
Has anyone had experience with British Airways and large items? I'm looking to get this shoulder bag for my 21.5" iMac but wonder if BA would allow me to take it on board.

On BA's website:
The maximum size must be 55cm x 40cm x 20cm (115 cm), including handle, pockets and wheels.

Flight case dimensions:
58cm x 21cm x 51cm

If I'm not able to take it, I'll be shipping it instead but would love the convenience of being able to take it on board.

cyclotron451

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2005
Europe
I was able to take my 2012 Mac mini as hand-luggage through Luton Airport security, I wasn't certain if it would pass due to being dense & heavy and not the usual thing to be found in luggage; they just swabbed it for GC/MS analysis and otherwise were content. BA, and other airlines, can refuse to let you board if they're unhappy - but mostly it is that airline that rhymes with "Mayan-Air" that like to say "NO!" or more usually "YES, but give me all your money!"

I did (briefly) think about bringing an iMac as hand luggage myself, but I wanted the 27"....

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
I really think that it's down to the staff and the mood they're in on that particular day. A friend of mine had her hand baggage weighed and commented on recently and she was going first class. So, how happy would you be if it had to go in the hold in that bag after all? And remember that you're not the only person using the overhead locker and your fellow passengers are not going to treat other luggage that kindly.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
imagine if you weren't allowed to take it, you have option 1 give away your iMac to security or option 2, cancel your flight. Either way you lose a large amount of money lol. I wouldn't risk it.

I was at Santa Maria, Azores airport and i was pulled up for having a wacom tablet and laptop inside the laptop bag. They were trying to class the wacom tablet as another computer and it took a lot of sweet talking to get out of it (lucky it was a girl).

NVRENUF!

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
PERTH, Australia
I wouldn't risk it,

I would put it back in it's original box and ship it with insurance.
take heaps of photos as you pack it etc and of the unit it's self.

make sure it is password protected and send it

plus an imac isn't going to fit in over head or under seat in front of you lol

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
imagine if you weren't allowed to take it, you have option 1 give away your iMac to security or option 2, cancel your flight. Either way you lose a large amount of money lol. I wouldn't risk it.

I think BA would give him the option of shipping it as hold baggage if they refused it as carry-on.

Email BA? What a strange thing to ask a Mac forum.

Not that odd a question. The bag size clearly exceeds BA regulations and that is the response he would get if he emailed them. OP is wondering whether he could get away with it and therefore seeking advice of people who may have been in a similar situation.

super!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Perhaps shipping it is the only method that will give me piece of mind.

I wouldn't risk it,

I would put it back in it's original box and ship it with insurance.
take heaps of photos as you pack it etc and of the unit it's self.

make sure it is password protected and send it

plus an imac isn't going to fit in over head or under seat in front of you lol
Would it be enough to pack it in the original box? On inspection, I can see that the corners of the box appear slightly strained - it doesn't seem like it would be reliable enough for a couple of shipments or more. A friend of mine said he would sell his Tenba case (link) for £100 - a good investment?

super!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
Another thing, would I have to pay any taxes if I wanted to ship (via courier) my iMac to Spain from the UK? Can anyone shed light on this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.