Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trubbles

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
For years now, I have resented Microsoft perpetually treating me, a paying customer, like a criminal. I own XP, 2 copies of Win7 64 Ultimate, Office 2010, Office Mac 2011, amongst others.

The PITA of changing your licenses from old devices to new devices is painful.

This week, while trying to migrate from my old Air to my new 15" rMBP, everything went smooth (Thanks OSX) except Office, which wants to be reactivated. Upon trying to do that, I am rejected and told to call.

The call takes my 72 digit number (yes, 72 digits!) and after I type it all in, it asks me "For security measures, we require you to answer one additional question. How many computer is this license being used on?"

The answer is 3. I bought a "Home and Student family pack" that came with 3 licenses and I have it installed on exactly 3 computers. I want to "deactivate" my MacBook Air and use that license for my new MacBook.

So I punch in 3.

"Thank you for calling Microsoft. Goodbye."

Yes, that's right - it hung up up me!! I tried again. Same result. I tried again, and tried to see if there is an option to speak to a person. I had that experience in the past with Windows XP. Nope - no more live operators.

I googled "deactivate Office." Nothing. I checked Microsoft support. No chat, email or phone support for serial number related issues. Just a knowledge base.

What a bunch of BS. Makes me want to download it illegally as a big FU.

Now that I'm finished venting, does anyone know how to move an Office 2011 key to another Mac?

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
For years now, I have resented Microsoft perpetually treating me, a paying customer, like a criminal. I own XP, 2 copies of Win7 64 Ultimate, Office 2010, Office Mac 2011, amongst others.

This week, while trying to migrate from my old Air to my new 15" rMBP, everything went smooth (Thanks OSX) except Office, which wants to be reactivated. Upon trying to do that, I am rejected and told to call.

The call takes my 72 digit number (yes, 72 digits!) and after I type it all in, it asks me "For security measures, we require you to answer one additional question. How many computer is this license being used on?"

The answer is 3. I bought a "Home and Student family pack" that came with 3 licenses and I have it installed on exactly 3 computers. I want to "deactivate" my MacBook Air and use that license for my new MacBook.

So I punch in 3.

Yes, that's right - it hung up up me!! I tried again. Same result. I tried again, and tried to see if there is an option to speak to a person. I had that experience in the past with Windows XP. Nope - no more live operators.

I googled "deactivate Office." Nothing. I checked Microsoft support. No chat, email or phone support for serial number related issues. Just a knowledge base.

Now that I'm finished venting, does anyone know how to move an Office 2011 key to another Mac?

Just call and say you lost the serial, so long as you have the physical disc in possession.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Agreed, I don't think it's going to get any better though, and I have to do the call in thing quite often as well. I hate it, as long as people pirate it's probably not going to change though.

So I punch in 3.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Agreed, I don't think it's going to get any better though, and I have to do the call in thing quite often as well. I hate it, as long as people pirate it's probably not going to change though.

Or rather as long as corporations think these measures actually do anything to deter piracy.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Talk to billing support. They'll route you to the right department. Went through this the other day with Xbox support. Pretty much the same thing happened. Entered my serial, and then it said I was out of warranty, and hanged up on me. They have it all set up weirdly. The billing guy even said that it should have let me through.

I know that this is a little different, but it's pretty much the same thing in every support center. If you can't contact the right department, try another.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.