Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mapleleafer

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2009
Wired. I tell my customers that I don't use wireless, so I don't use wireless. I wouldn't be surprised, though, that the next generation of Macs will forgo the ethernet port.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Everything around by desk is wired; even my Apple TV. Primary because of other "server" and NAS but also to keep the bandwidth for the real mobile devices and the MBP of my wife.

Plus Internet is faster this way as I enjoy 200MB downstream and 100MB up; if the partner on the other side can deliver the same way.

So: cable when ever possible (for now; open to change)

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC
Wired!

Wireless is handy but it drops packets much more, especially if you are in a noisy area (like an apartment in a city). Just ask online gamers (high-connectivity applications where packet loss can mean disconnection) which one they are always told to avoid.

fossen

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2010
Wired for my iMac, running over a Netgear XAVB5101 Powerline Nano500.

I do a lot of work using Remote Desktop to a Windows Server in the basement, so a consistent, fast connection is important. For the most part, the responsiveness is the same as if I was working locally on the iMac.

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC
Wired. I tell my customers that I don't use wireless, so I don't use wireless. I wouldn't be surprised, though, that the next generation of Macs will forgo the ethernet port.

Apple would be shooting themselves in the foot. Wireless and wired are not the same in how they communicate. For some applications wireless is not even a choice.

While dropping the optical drive was an annoyance of one more thing to go on the desk a ethernet to thunderbolt (or some other interface) adapter would be needed. However with moving the drive you are just moving it. With using a different network adapter you can actually cause some applications to fail (just like some apps do not work well with some routers but others do) so you have one more point of failure.

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Only mobile devices get wireless. Everything else is wired. Moving large files over wireless sucks.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Both Ethernet and wireless networks are faster than any internet connection you may have. You won't see any difference in internet performance between the two.
This

Wired...it's simply faster

Don't believe? Run speedtest with both...I'm betting your wired will be faster,even if only slightly

http://www.speedtest.net/
300mbps wifi is going to give you 180mbps real world performance. You'd be hard pressed to find a broadband connection or application that this limits you in. And there is faster N than that.

Apple would be shooting themselves in the foot. Wireless and wired are not the same in how they communicate. For some applications wireless is not even a choice.

While dropping the optical drive was an annoyance of one more thing to go on the desk a ethernet to thunderbolt (or some other interface) adapter would be needed. However with moving the drive you are just moving it. With using a different network adapter you can actually cause some applications to fail (just like some apps do not work well with some routers but others do) so you have one more point of failure.
Mark my words, it's coming.

802.11AC 1.3mbps that should push 780mbps which alines perfectly with wired gigabit. Apple will feel justified in saying hardwired as antiquated.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
I use wireless at home.

At work, where we use all Macs, it's a wired connection because it has to be to be connected with the fileservers.

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012
That's not true for internet use. WiFi is still much faster than the internet connection, and is extremely reliable.

Times my wired ethernet has gone down in last 10 years = 0
Time my wireless connection has gone down in last 10 year = more than 0

If you game then latency is better with a wired connection.

I can't think of a single reason why one would choose wireless over a wired ethernet connection other than "it is one less wire"

To be honest with you I don't much care for how many wires run into my PC - I care about whether it does what I want it to.

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012
Wired...it's simply faster

Don't believe? Run speedtest with both...I'm betting your wired will be faster,even if only slightly

http://www.speedtest.net/

Wired - it's simply better

Wireless does not have a single technical advantage over wired. If one is the sort of person who would goes for form over function - go wireless. If one wants things to work at their best first and foremost use a wired connection.

AlanShutko

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
I have gigabit Ethernet between my iMac, server, and Apple TV. It really speeds bulk transfers.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Times my wired ethernet has gone down in last 10 years = 0
Time my wireless connection has gone down in last 10 year = more than 0
Times my wireless network has gone down = 0
Times my ISP's service has gone down = too many to count

Unless you're in an area with significant interference or you have hardware problems, your wireless network should be as stable as a wired network. The only unstable factor I've ever experienced is my ISP, which affects both wired and wireless internet connectivity. As for my wireless network apart from the internet, it's never failed to deliver consistent high-speed performance.

fossen

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2010
I can't think of a single reason why one would choose wireless over a wired ethernet connection other than "it is one less wire".
To be fair, running CAT5 through a house, on multiple floors can be a big pain. I used wireless until powerline had reached the point I felt comfortable using it.

Mac2133

macrumors member
May 31, 2012
The first one is wireless. The second one is wired..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-19 at 6.26.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-19 at 6.26.09 PM.png
    210.1 KB · Views: 103
  • Screen Shot 2012-12-19 at 6.30.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-19 at 6.30.00 PM.png
    154.9 KB · Views: 127

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Everything wireless in my home. Have 2 Airport Extremes & Exprees to make sure wireless works in the house everywhere. Large 3 story home so needed to extend. Wireless slightly slower but not enough to make me wire anything.

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012
To be fair, running CAT5 through a house, on multiple floors can be a big pain. I used wireless until powerline had reached the point I felt comfortable using it.

I use HomeplugAV plugs around my home.

I also use wireless for my iPad and my other portable devices. I have 3 desktop PCs (1 iMac and 2 Windows devices) and I use wired connections for all of them. None of them ever go down. My wireless network suffers intermittent interference - hey I live in a city so I know it will be congested.

I stream media across my home network so wireless doesn't cut the mustard. I also game online so latency is a plus.

Even if one doesn't do either of those things the reliability of a wired connection is a benefit. You can rest assured the one time your wireless connection goes down will be when you really need it.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Both Ethernet and wireless networks are faster than any internet connection you may have. You won't see any difference in internet performance between the two.

Thanks for the theory, but in practice wired is much snappier.
Big files of speed-checking sites give a very distorted image.
Try a big Pinterest page with 1000+ HTTP requests and time the difference.

And if you have like me, an area with 40 networks under the wifi-symbol available with many in the 5Ghz area too, the speed is more like 10:1 in favour of wired. But my ISP delivers 100/70 down up, so that is some serious bandwidth too.

rpg51

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2012
I just tested

20.90 wireless

20.80 wired

I bet dollars to donuts Mac2133 has a a configuration issue with his wireless. I had terrible speed for a while and then I decided to reset my gear to factory and reinstall and it works MUCH better now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.