Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattfab

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Do you mainly use it for just web browsing and videos, games, or work or school?

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
Do you mainly use it for just web browsing and videos, games, or work or school?

Mainly entertainment. Keep updated on news, web browsing, playing lightweight, fun indie games (not large heavy games), photo taking, video taking, e-reading, never used it for work, I do use it for school (access pdfs, powerpoints, school notes), etc.

I also watch a ton of movies on my iPad, as well as videos on YouTube. The iPad has become my main device for Skype and FaceTime because of how much more portable it is compared to my 17'' laptop.

Mostly I'll use it at school and on my daily commutes to school (to and from) on the train which is about an hour each on average. I'll also use it on the couch downstairs, and in bed. It's also a great device for when I want to show someone something that I found on the internet (parents, brothers, friends, etc.) because there are so many cords plugged into my laptop: speakers, wireless mouse, headphone jack, charger -- it's a hassle to unplug all of those and carry around a 17'' laptop every time I want to show something to someone, or work somewhere else other than my room.

The iPad has never been used for heavy computing tasks (like typing long school papers) -- even though I could use the wireless keyboard for it, the apps on my laptop are much more work/heavy computing-friendly.

Last edited:

iPagan

macrumors regular
May 31, 2010
Modem for my MBP.

I have a 1st Gen iPad, 3G, 16GB, jailbroken and running MyWi 5.5.

Have ATT's grandfathered unlimited data plan.

Orange Crane

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
Inspiration scrapbook and idea keeper. It's also pretty good for navigating the ikea warehouse area.

smooth

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
Detroit
I use mine mainly for reading and it serves as my digital photo album. I do use it as a planner as well and use iCal, Notes and Reminders pretty frequently.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
I use it for personal use like browsing, watching movies/TV shows.

I'd like to try and make my iPad the best it can be as a laptop replacement. So, I'd like to use it for work and edit documents and power points without a hassle.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
As much as it could as a laptop replacement but i still use for laptop for downloading movie and some other tasks.

My Ipad is mainly for browsing, it is very fast. Gaming on certain level but i dont read books or magazine as much before i still prefer the feel and weight of the actual magazine.

Actually i dont really know whether i get enough use of my device. :mad:

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
Primarily for work - reading and marking up documents, note taking and writing.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Reading is my primary purpose but I also do email, and surfing. At night when I'm home, my kids seem to take it over and play their games on it.

apple-ette

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2009
Light games (crosswords, Sudoku, etc), web surfing (esp. while watching TV), photo viewer occasionally.

= bluntman =

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Everyone at work carries a black notebook to keep notes during meetings - I use my iPad (and ultrathin keyboard cover) instead.

It also affords me the ability to play a quick game of solitaire during the more boring parts of those meetings. :D

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
Mainly?

I suppose I'm an equal opportunity user. I just tried editing in iMovie yesterday lol.

But here is one reason that stands out, airplane use on the kneeboard (my own concoction):

p1341498564-4.jpg

p1341498118-4.jpg

LightOnAHill

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
I use it at court to view my files and take short notes. if I have to take longer notes ill whip out the MacBook air

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Reading. E-books, web articles with RSS Reader+Instapaper, Zite and Flipboard. Some web surfing. Some games, music and videos. But really, mostly reading.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.