Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Anyone in the Philly area with an unlimited AT&T data plan able to get Facetime over cellular working?

Mine is still not. I rebooted several times now over the last few weeks.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Anyone in the Philly area with an unlimited AT&T data plan able to get Facetime over cellular working?

Mine is still not. I rebooted several times now over the last few weeks.

With AT&T there is no FaceTime over cellular, they blocked it. Unless something changed.

phositadc

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
I can't do FaceTime over cellular on AT&T unlimited, so as far as I can tell they haven't changed anything.

CKohkah

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
I have a feeling it's going to take a new software update, perhaps iOS 6.1, to turn facetime over cellular on. Since the previous facetime settings are written into the OS there's no way they can just change it over the air unless they send out a carrier update, which you would also have to Install.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
I have a feeling it's going to take a new software update, perhaps iOS 6.1, to turn facetime over cellular on. Since the previous facetime settings are written into the OS there's no way they can just change it over the air unless they send out a carrier update, which you would also have to Install.

Not sure why you would need an update to activate that feature? If they can enable it for AT&T subscribers with a mobile share data plan, they can do it for those on an unlimited data plan. I think it's on AT&T to provision your account for that access. Maybe it is a slow process converting everyone over?

ben824

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2012
GA
Facetime over cellular is ONLY available on the iPhone 4S running iOS 6 and the iPhone 5. With AT&T, the 4S FaceTime over cellular is still currently (unless recently changed) restricted to Mobile Share plans. The iPhone 5 and LTE iPads have been activated to use FaceTime over cellular regardless of plan type. Some iPhone 5 owners have still complained of no FaceTime over cellular with grandfathered unlimited plans. The reports on this are mixed so might have to call AT&T to figure that out if you have a an iPhone 5.

But to make sure we are clear here ONLY the 4S and 5 are cellular FaceTime capable. If you have an iPhone 4, regardless of carrier, it CANNOT FaceTime over cellular. Apple did not add this feature in the iOS 6 version for the iPhone 4.

sdsvtdriver

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
Southern California

Incorrect.

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
After that big announcement, I heard stories from other areas of the country with AT&T users on unlimited plans getting FaceTime over cellular but I haven't received it yet.

I was trying to confirm in the Philly area.

Oh and I have the iPhone 5.

ben824

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2012
GA

Not true. While you are correct in that it takes the feature being enabled through the OS, Apple allows the carrier to control access to the feature over the air. How do I know? I had an iPhone 4S that was blocked while running iOS 6 betas and the public release, then we upgraded the plan to mobile share since it saved us $50 on our monthly bill, and boom instant access to FaceTime over cellular on my 4S and now my 5.

Also your reasoning doesn't hold when you consider features like HotSpot. This feature's access is controlled by the carrier. It goes so deep that even setting options menus won't even show up on the device if the carrier hasn't authorized access.

geneticfusion

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2010
Wow, so much misinformation in this thread it's laughable.

At any rate, Facetime over Cellular without Mobile Share is being rolled out on LTE capable devices (iPhone 5) and Tiered, read that again, TIERED data plans. Unlimited data won't be able to whatsoever.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Actually (And yes, I'm the guy in that post who discovered this originally), this seems to have been a temporary AT&T glitch that has now been "fixed" (probably due to widespread coverage). No Unlimited users still have FT over cellular. It lasted 2 days.

Oh well, at least something I posted went viral.

That sucks:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.