Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
Finally got home to open my new iPad mini and what do I get? An empty box with finger prints and scratches all over it. #

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 376
Last edited:

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
Was the box sealed? If not, why didn't you look in it before leaving with it? Additionally, weren't you able to notice a weight difference with no iPad mini in the box?!

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
The box was within another brown box. My mother signed for it while I was at work. She didn't even know what it was since it was for me.

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
I bought it from apple.com. Thank god for Amex. They already reimbursed me. Called UPS and Apple. UPS said they have been getting a few calls like this over the last 2 weeks. They said it could either be internal or at customs.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
I bought it from apple.com. Thank god for Amex. They already reimbursed me. Called UPS and Apple. UPS said they have been getting a few calls like this over the last 2 weeks. They said it could either be internal or at customs.

Sorry to hear. At least you were reimbursed. You're probably better off going to your nearest Apple store and buying the iPad mini there.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I guess it happens all over the world then. Not just where i live.

U are lucky, i once read about a guy buying an Ipad over the internet and he gets an Ipad box with a brick inside.

nellyplatinum

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
I would laugh at you. No one is going to care for just an iPad.

why would you laugh at me?obviously if you have an employee thats stealing and are able to find any clues to who is doing it you can save the company money by getting rid of them...today an ipad tomorrow something more expensive

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
why would you laugh at me?obviously if you have an employee thats stealing and are able to find any clues to who is doing it you can save the company money by getting rid of them...today an ipad tomorrow something more expensive

I would laugh at you because the police typically don't care about theft under $5000 and don't do anything even if you report it.

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
Finally got home to open my new iPad mini and what do I get? An empty box with finger prints and scratches all over it. #

Was the plastic wrapping on the iPad box or had it been ripped off?

These iPad thefts are insane. It's pathetic and upsetting.

I want to send an iPad mini to my mom as a gift this holiday (I'm in NY and she's in FL) but I'm having seconds thoughts about it.

kendu2412

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
Fairfield CA

Who will care ? UPS only help you if you didnt received , now you received , hold on hand , opened box and complain about nothing in box , who will think that true ?

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

I want to send an iPad mini to my mom as a gift this holiday (I'm in NY and she's in FL) but I'm having seconds thoughts about it.

You may be able to quell those second thoughts by pre-packaging it with insurance and the like before sending it off as opposed to going into the store with the iPad box to package it there. Of course, that doesn't stop a thief for opening it and whatnot, but at least with it already packaged no one on the front lines can pass along the box's contents.

bursthead

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Lost or stoen

I returned my first ipad mini using Apples pre-paid newgistics label. I sent off my ipad mini and the smart cover. The smart cover made it back to apple, but the ipad mini never even made it out of my city.

It took over a month and over a dozen calls, but Apple reimbursed me for the lost ipad. The only thing that saved me was that the tracking recorded the package being received by postal carrier. I can't say for certain it was stolen, but be careful when you ship your ipads.

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010

The plastic was not on the box. They must have used a box cutter to tear the plastic off because there is a huge scratch all along the side of the box as well as finger prints everywhere.

Is there a way that apple can locate the ipad with the imei number or anything?

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
Was the box sealed? If not, why didn't you look in it before leaving with it? Additionally, weren't you able to notice a weight difference with no iPad mini in the box?!

Actually when he picked the box up he thought "wow it's true what they say! the new mini is so light!".

Seriously though, glad you got your money refunded, hope you can get another one in time for the big day!

Is there a way that apple can locate the ipad with the imei number or anything?

When mine got stolen the police wanted that IMEI number, they blocked it so anyone putting in a sim card would get no reception.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR

That is why I love using my Amex, I have never had any issues with disputing a charge when problems occur.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.