Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage24.png
Our sister site TouchArcade is continuing its new promotion called "Free Play" in which they work with developers to offer highly rated games for free. The latest offering is the arcade-style space combat game Arc Squadron.
Arc Squadron from developer Psyonix is an arcade-style space combat game built using the Unreal Engine, so it's definitely a visual showpiece title.

Beyond its great looks, though, lies a visceral behind-the-back rail shooter with a heavy influence from the classic Star Fox series. An intuitive touch control scheme translates your taps, drags and swipes into firepower, barrel rolls, and deft ship maneuvers. The controls are what really appeal to me about Arc Squadron, as it feels like you have real hands-on control over your spacecraft, almost like it's an extension of your finger, and it's much more satisfying pulling off cool moves using a scheme like this as opposed to some plain old virtual buttons.
Arc Squadron was originally released this past October and received a 5 star rating from TouchArcade. The game is normally $4.99 and has never been free before. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Highly Rated iOS Arcade Space Shooter 'Arc Squadron' is Free for Limited Time

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Bosses?
Rails Like StarFox?
Free?

I couldn't resist; I'm downloading it now.

Honestly, the description hits on a lot of the key selling points I was planning on having for my game... I kind of hope it's not as fun as I think it's going to be with that description (because that'll mean I can compete with it easily...)

Edit: it's definitely fun and challenging and darn are the graphics pretty... I'm not sure if my game can compete...

Last edited:

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
Great I thought I give it a try then I saw the huge list off In-App purchases. It's yet again a freemium came...am I the only one still comfortable with paying 20€+ for a game/program but it turn expect it to be full-featured from the get go?

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
I hate the freemium business model. This appears to be the worst of both worlds. They were charging for it and selling in app "money".

I don't mind in app purchases but they should be limited to DLC content and addons rather than a requirement to progress. I also don't mind it when they offer a "lite" version to try with the option to "upgrade" in app to the full version.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Great I thought I give it a try then I saw the huge list off In-App purchases. It's yet again a freemium came...am I the only one still comfortable with paying 20€+ for a game/program but it turn expect it to be full-featured from the get go?

Damn. IAP again? I think I'm going to delete the game right away. Thank you for the update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.