Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
I am confused, this seems like worse for the consumer on bandwidth

I am on capped bandwidth, so with spotify, aswell as streaming my music I am also uploading it for others (others are streaming music from me)

instead of me just streaming music as i can from other places

was thinking of paying for spotify, but if this is how it works then I might delete it instead

it's for desktop only and for typical user, they will use around 2GB-3GB of data on desktop each month streaming spotify.

The cap for cable internet is like 300GB here in the USA. Unless you live in place where your cable internet is capped at 20GB....then yeah get the spotify browser edition that is in beta...

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
Spotify biggest competitor just announced that it now has 3 million paying subscribers.

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/indu...million-subscribers-launches-1008058242.story

The subscription marketplace is looking more and more like a two-horse race.

French subscription service Deezer is launching a free, ad-supported version of its music service in more than 150 countries Thursday (Wednesday in the U.S.) and a host of features that suggest market-leading Spotify has serious competition. Deezer now has 3 million subscribers, 1 million more than it had in October and 2 million fewer than Spotify.

Spotify is worth $3 billion (with 5 million paying subscribers), does that mean that Deezer with 3 million paying subscribers is worth: $3 x 3/5 = $1.8 billion?

LOL.

And unlike Spotify, Deezer is available in 150 countries.

The United States is still a notable exception to the 150-plus countries in which listeners can access Deezer.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/permalink/2013/20130103cannibalism2012
Growth of Paid Downloads vs. Streaming, 2012 vs. 2011

A. Paid Downloads: 1.336 billion. Up 5%.
(iTunes, Amazon, etc.)

B. Spotify Subscribers: 5.2 million. Up 86%.
C. Spotify Active Users: 20 million. Up 100%.
D. Deezer Subscribers: 3 million. Up 114%
F. Pandora Listening Hours (per qtr): 3.56 billion. Up 67.9%.

streaming_v_downloading2012.jpg

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
1. I like to have physical posession of my music. Be it an actual disc or a hard drive containing various files of music. I want posession.

This pretty much sums up how I feel about subscription services. I like to have the actual files on my hard drive, and a back up of them all. I like ownership.

iHailCarlo

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
I will wait for Apples streaming service to see what its about, but i love itunes and probably will always use it. I have tons of music loaded in there and will keep loading it up.

McCaffers

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2012
Sadly I don't think this will come out for a long while yet as paid downloads generate much more revenue than a subscription service would.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.