Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBPnoob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
Okay, so as you can see from my user name, I'm a noob.
This is the first time I've ever messed with digital copy.
I put in the digital copy disk and put in my redeem code. It starts to download the SD version... Question 1: Would Disney/Apple ever upgrade my digital copy to HD in the future?

Question 2: How do I get this digital copy to iCloud sync with my iPad/Mac/iPhone? I've never tried this iTunes in the Cloud thing, but I figured it would work automatically... I look at my iPad and iPhone and do not see anything in the "Videos" app. I really don't want to go back to hooking my phone up to my mac via USB...

Hope this makes since. Any help is appreciated!

outl4nd3r

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2008
Okay, so as you can see from my user name, I'm a noob.
This is the first time I've ever messed with digital copy.
I put in the digital copy disk and put in my redeem code. It starts to download the SD version... Question 1: Would Disney/Apple ever upgrade my digital copy to HD in the future?

Question 2: How do I get this digital copy to iCloud sync with my iPad/Mac/iPhone? I've never tried this iTunes in the Cloud thing, but I figured it would work automatically... I look at my iPad and iPhone and do not see anything in the "Videos" app. I really don't want to go back to hooking my phone up to my mac via USB...

Hope this makes since. Any help is appreciated!

I don't know if they would upgrade the digital copy to HD.

But for question 2, you load up iTunes on your iOS device, then select the purchases tab. in there you can select movies, and then you can download your previously purchased movies on to the device.

I hope that made some kind of sense...

MBPnoob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
Thanks for the info!

Also... am I not getting the "iTunes Extras" with my digital copy?? Ugh. I feel like I should have just downloaded the iTunes version instead.

Rushli0n

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2012
HD versions and iTunes Extras are a hit and miss with Digital Copies from Blu-rays. It's one of the main reasons I went to just the iTunes copies. But yeah as the last poster mentioned, you cannot "stream" your iCloud purchases (yet) to your iDevice. You have to download the entire file. I believe this feature will come soon though, as iTunes 11 allows you to stream Movies/TV Shows without downloading the files.

wharzhee

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
texas
u can stream using ur idevices.. who said u cant?

just (re)download the movie from purchased section, and then play it off the "videos" app.

wharzhee

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
texas
@MBPnoob: Please look at the other thread about HD quality iTunes digital copy.

the only way how to check if u're eligible for the iTunes Extras(which i believe u shld, since u say nemo has extras), is to use ur iTunes (using a computer) and then go under "purchased" and then under "movies", u will see ur finding nemo coverart.

156211_10151310080062248_1936616107_n.jpg

hover ur mouse on the coverart, u will see a little play button on the bottom right. click it.

61807_10151310080132248_912804745_n.jpg

a window will pop up. if itunes extra is written on the bottom left, u are eligible for the extras. If u don't already have it, press the cloud icon on the bottom right.

As for the streaming: here is a step by step instruction to help.
1) go to ur "itunes" app, u shld see under "purchased" below

540451_10151310067152248_2000887600_n.jpg

71710_10151310066987248_1335334645_n.jpg

382030_10151310067067248_2084780051_n.jpg

2) go to ur "videos" app, and u shld see the item downloading

406644_10151310067017248_901801660_n.jpg

181866_10151310067052248_409944480_n.jpg

44415_10151310067122248_1099316681_n.jpg

you can see the light grey bar filling up the play bar, and you can play the movie while downloading (hence, streaming)

Last edited by a moderator:

Rushli0n

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2012
Downloading it to your device and streaming are not the same thing, at least in my opinion. Streaming means it doesn't take up any hard drive space (ie Netflix).

In the new iTunes, you can stream your movies/tv shows without the need to download the entire movie. You cannot do this on your iDevice.

wharzhee

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
texas
Downloading it to your device and streaming are not the same thing, at least in my opinion. Streaming means it doesn't take up any hard drive space (ie Netflix).

In the new iTunes, you can stream your movies/tv shows without the need to download the entire movie. You cannot do this on your iDevice.

the concept of streaming is simple. watch it whilst downloading.
there is no such thing as "not taking up any hdd space".
just cause u cant find the content, doesnt mean it was never there in the first place.

before u can play anything, the (cache) data must be downloaded.

updated: btw (with regards to iTunes), dont be deceived that u dont download the entire movie after watching the movie till end in the icloud.

Last edited:

Rushli0n

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2012
the concept of streaming is simple. watch it whilst downloading.
there is no such thing as "not taking up any hdd space".
just cause u cant find the content, doesnt mean it was never there in the first place.

before u can play anything, the (cache) data must be downloaded.

updated: btw (with regards to iTunes), dont be deceived that u dont download the entire movie after watching the movie till end in the icloud.

Have you heard of the app Air Video? That app sees movies you have on your home computer and then streams them to your iPad. That is streaming. If I have a 700MB file, that isn't downloaded onto my iPad so I can watch it. It doesn't take up any space. And anything that may have been cached, is deleted after I finish the movie.

And again, in iTunes if I delete a movie I bought/downloaded to my HDD it will show up with a little iCloud icon. I can then hit play, and it will stream (and cache a bit) so I can watch it. If I stop watching it and look at my movies folder, it isn't there. It hasn't been downloaded.

My only point is that there is no streaming to iDevices. You have to download the movie to watch it. Can you begin to watch it before it fully downloads? Sure. But that is not what I would define as streaming.

wharzhee

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
texas
I can then hit play, and it will stream (and cache a bit) so I can watch it. If I stop watching it and look at my movies folder, it isn't there. It hasn't been downloaded.

why dont u do a simple test. play a movie in the iCloud.
then when the movie has loaded, do whatever u want, shut it down, restart ur computer, etc.
replay this movie again, and see if it requires any time at all to download from the iCloud again.
Then see for urself if the movie has been downloaded or not onto ur computer, despite having that nice little cloud icon next to it.

For all the rest u've said, people can debate what streaming means to them.

The fundamental underlying it will always be the same.
Data can only be received if u download it. The system then read the data stored.
Almost all data can only be read AFTER it has COMPLETELY downloaded.

Streaming allows this specially designed data to be delivered in such a way it allows the user to read the data whilst pushing(downloading) the content. Hence u can read the data and yet download at the same time.
The rest is up to the big boys to implement the system.

Last edited:

Rushli0n

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2012
We obviously don't agree, so I'll make one last point, which was pulled directly from the iTunes website:

With iCloud, you can access your content on all your devices. And now, when you buy an album, song, movie, or TV show on any device, it’s instantly accessible in your iTunes library on your Mac or PC. Just double‑click to play. Or if you’re going offline — say, taking your notebook on a plane — click the new Download button and bring a copy with you.

Even Apple notes there is a different between playing from iCloud (streaming) or downloading them so you can view offline. There is no "play from iCloud" option on your iDevice for Movies/TV Shows. You can only download them. /end rant

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.