Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacaDroid

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Hey guys I'd like to get some input on my situation. I just recently purchased a black iPhone 5 from BestBuy. My first phone had noticeable scuffs on the top left corner so I returned it for another, I inspected the new one in the store and all seemed fine. Well now I am using the device and I have noticed a very small, we're talking like .1 of an inch, scuff on the side of the bezel and two little discolored circles(blueish) on the left. Everything else is perfect, good screen, home button, etc. So my question is, would you have the phone replaced for such minor nicks and scratches? Thanks guys!

EDIT: Pics now included

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 592
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 404
Last edited:

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
If the phone is functioning to your liking I would not exchange for those marks.

Last edited:

MacaDroid

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
If the phone is functioning to your liking I would exchange for those marks.

It's functioning great, I am somewhat scared that if I return it I will get one will a funky bad screen or something. I also don't want to look like I have OCD too much :eek:

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
It's functioning great, I am somewhat scared that if I return it I will get one will a funky bad screen or something. I also don't want to look like I have OCD too much :eek:

My suggestion was to NOT exchange. Sorry about the typo. :eek:

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
Hey guys I'd like to get some input on my situation. I just recently purchased a black iPhone 5 from BestBuy. My first phone had noticeable scuffs on the top left corner so I returned it for another, I inspected the new one in the store and all seemed fine. Well now I am using the device and I have noticed a very small, we're talking like .1 of an inch, scuff on the side of the bezel and two little discolored circles(blueish) on the left. Everything else is perfect, good screen, home button, etc. So my question is, would you have the phone replaced for such minor nicks and scratches? Thanks guys!

EDIT: Pics now included

Doesn't look that bad.. I'd keep it... it's an iPhone 5, it's bound to get scratched eventually.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
...Oh those scuffs...sorry I was too busy looking at the bubbles in your screen protector.

The bezel on the black and white are going to scuff, it is something you just have to learn to live with. I put a case on my phone so I really don't care once the scuff is covered up.

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2011
Portugal
My opinion is this: I don't see anything major on your phone. If it is working properly, I wouldn't replace it, seems good to me.

Also, if you exchange'd it, you might risk getting a defected one.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Seriously? It's a phone, not art. None of your hipster friends will think less of you for the small scratches on your phone.

Cases cause scratches as well. I live next the the beach, all it takes is one little piece of sand to get in the sides and it will wreak havoc on your phone.

My car has little nicks and scratches on it as well. I call it character.

I shall call your phone, "Scratchy."

PS Get rid of the screen protector. I have hundreds of complaints from users that their screen is smudgy and scratchy... all because the smudges and scratches damages the screen protector. The iPhone5 glass is gorilla glass, do a little google of how hard it is to scratch it. I've had iPhones since the first day they were released and NEVER had a screen scratch.

scat999999

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2003
You're kidding, right?

It's a phone, intended to be used. Things that are used develop wear and tear.

MacaDroid

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
...Oh those scuffs...sorry I was too busy looking at the bubbles in your screen protector.

The bezel on the black and white are going to scuff, it is something you just have to learn to live with. I put a case on my phone so I really don't care once the scuff is covered up.

I know, I had to put it on quickly :rolleyes:

Last edited:

MacaDroid

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Seriously? It's a phone, not art. None of your hipster friends will think less of you for the small scratches on your phone.

Cases cause scratches as well. I live next the the beach, all it takes is one little piece of sand to get in the sides and it will wreak havoc on your phone.

My car has little nicks and scratches on it as well. I call it character.

I shall call your phone, "Scratchy."

PS Get rid of the screen protector. I have hundreds of complaints from users that their screen is smudgy and scratchy... all because the smudges and scratches damages the screen protector. The iPhone5 glass is gorilla glass, do a little google of how hard it is to scratch it. I've had iPhones since the first day they were released and NEVER had a screen scratch.

I'm not concerned over what "hipster" friends may think, I just think it is kind of cheap for a phone, brand-new out of the box, to have little scratches and chips. I don't have a problem with the fact that I will eventually scratch it or whatever because I did it while using it, but for scratchy to come pre-scratched is a bit cheap IMO.

It's not my first iPhone either, I'll most likely take the protector off some time in the future. Thanks for the advice though.

----------

i wouldnt replace the phone, but that screen protector on the other hand...

I know, I know haha :p

Kenjhee

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2011
No way would I go through all that trouble for such minor nicks that will happen again. What I would do is decide on a way to refinish such dings, and implement it.

For nicks on that beveled strip, which I believe is painted rather than anodized like the broader surfaces, I would probably use a Birchwood Casey paint pen. Whenever a new nick happens, you just grab the pen and fix 'er up fast. Problem solved.

Thebullet

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2012
My phone was perfect when I got it, I can live with the rattles and now schlocky home button but I was considering exchanging it, but maybe to get a scratched one that has the same issue. Think I might just leave it. You would annoy yourself if you got a worse one.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Those are so minor and given the chance the next one will be the same or worse, I would say keep it. Touch it up with a sharpie and put it in a good case. This is coming from a real nit picker also. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.