Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DerekS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Old Rig: 3.4 Ghz i7, 16GB, 256SSD+2TB, 2GB ATI 6790 GPU
New Rig: 3.4 Ghz i7, 16GB, 1TB Fusion, 2GB 680MX GPU

No dead pixels
No blacklight bleed
No electronic chatter noise during scrolling/CPU idle
No case defects or mystery spots
The speakers sound better and fuller, to me
2X FPS in WoW and Diablo 3

In short - it's perfect! VERY happy at last. It was worth the wait.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
very happy for you, but do we really need everyone that buys an iMac to create a new, pointless thread saying they got it and are happy?

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix

No dead pixels
No blacklight bleed

Sweet I will pm you my address so you can send me that old icky one!

DerekS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
very happy for you, but do we really need everyone that buys an iMac to create a new, pointless thread saying they got it and are happy?

Seeing as there's been some concern over quality, due to all the complaint threads, yes.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
I'm going to stick with the pointless thread. The dozen or so quality issues that have come up in a week worth of THOUSANDS of computers shipping. We don't need every iMac owner making another pointless "mine is perfect" thread. Just like we don't need 500 "will this RAM work?" threads! Try the Search function!

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
I'm going to stick with the pointless thread. The dozen or so quality issues that have come up in a week worth of THOUSANDS of computers shipping. We don't need every iMac owner making another pointless "mine is perfect" thread. Just like we don't need 500 "will this RAM work?" threads! Try the Search function!

Of course you have to wonder of those thousands, how many of them aren't actually fine combing their iMac looking for problems like some of the more OCD forum members, and thus never notice their minor imperfections. :D

Ctrl2k

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2007
I have a very yellow lower third of my screen. I have owned every top line iMac since the iMac G5, upgrading each year. This screen is the most yellow by far (from the bottom where it's yellow, it gets lighter to white going up). I'm hoping I get used to it, but I may have to return for replacement once the pipeline starts filling up with newer units.

It's pretty noticeable; though in time I may stop noticing.

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009

No dead pixels
No blacklight bleed

I received my 2012 iMac today (3.4GHz i7, 8GB, 3TB Fusion, 2GB 680MX GPU), got it out of the box, fired it up, immediately noticed major display non-uniformity (yellow on the bottom right, blue on the top left, significant brightness variance), and packed it up for a refund. I'm not going through numerous swap-outs again to try to get a good display. Besides, as I was staring at my new iMac, I realized it's just not enough of an upgrade over my mid-2011 iMac (3.4GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD+2TB HDD, 2GB HD 6970M) to justify the expense. I'll wait to see what the mid-year Haswell update brings, or better yet what the new Mac Pros bring, before I get rid of my 2011 iMac.

For the OP -- I'm just curious -- what made you feel like the latest 2012 iMac was enough of an upgrade over your 2011 iMac to justify the expense?

DerekS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
For the OP -- I'm just curious -- what made you feel like the latest 2012 iMac was enough of an upgrade over your 2011 iMac to justify the expense?

You and I upgraded from the same rig.

For me:

- The display laminated to the glass gives it a better look
- The speakers are definitely bassier than the 2011 unit
- The CPU is slightly faster
- The GPU is 2x faster or better, getting great performance in games now!

I'm the kind of person that has to have the latest+greatest.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006

Not the OP, but I'm upgrading from a three year old MacBook and the 2002 iMac in the basement that gets very limited use. I have a small work comp settlement from getting hurt by a tired and negligent co-worker, and we felt a new desktop computer was a good place to spend that unexpected income.

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
You and I upgraded from the same rig.

For me:

- The display laminated to the glass gives it a better look
- The speakers are definitely bassier than the 2011 unit
- The CPU is slightly faster
- The GPU is 2x faster or better, getting great performance in games now!

I'm the kind of person that has to have the latest+greatest.

I really didn't notice a huge difference in display quality. I don't use the internal speakers, and although the GPU was a big upgrade, I don't game on my iMac. I usually like to have the latest-and-greatest too, but in this case I was able to put the money I saved on the iMac upgrade toward a new projector for my theater room. :)

I was looking forward to using the new iMac for gaming and ditching my gaming PC once and for all, but since I had the 3TB Fusion drive, I couldn't run Boot Camp and running Windows in a VM sucks for gaming. My gaming PC is getting a little long in the tooth too (i7-965, quad-SLI GTX 295); oh well. A Mac Pro is what I really wanted to go with, so hopefully a hexacore beast is in my future!

Enjoy your new iMac!

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
I am very hesitant to buy one because it seems like 50 50 chance of getting a bad display with it and knowing my luck I will be returning it twice before I get a good one. So sick of dealing with stressful matters lately not sure If I want to risk it lol.

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
I am very hesitant to buy one because it seems like 50 50 chance of getting a bad display with it and knowing my luck I will be returning it twice before I get a good one. So sick of dealing with stressful matters lately not sure If I want to risk it lol.

Funny you mention that. Ordinarily I'd put up with the hassle of a few returns if necessary to get a good display. However, I was already on the fence about upgrading from my 2011 iMac -- I decided to press ahead mainly due to the improved graphics performance (I was definitely NOT thrilled about giving up the FW port and the SuperDrive) -- but this display issue just sealed the deal for me. The display on my 2011 iMac is great and I just don't have the patience to deal with the shipping and the waiting and the exchanging and so forth for the 2012 iMac...not to mention the hassle it is to call Microsoft to get new Office product codes every time I swap a computer out. By the time I get a good 2012 iMac we'll be that much closer to the Haswell iMacs being released.

I will say this though...even after only having the new iMac on my desk for a few hours, my old one already looks tubby in comparison! Fortunately I don't look at the side of my computer while I'm using it. :)

One other thing I noticed -- two daisy-chained bus-powered FW800 drives that work fine on my 2011 iMac wouldn't work with the FW800-to-TB adapter on the 2012 iMac. I could get one or the other to work but not both at the same time.

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010

Why the heck so you click on the thread then? The title is pretty clear. If it bothers you, it's easy to skip past it. :rolleyes:

DerekS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
not much of an upgrade from your previous "rig"
waste of money IMO

Yeah-well-you-know-thats-just-like-your-opinion-man2-200x152.jpg

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
not much of an upgrade from your previous "rig"
waste of money IMO
I'm gradually convincing myself of just that.

I like your username BTW (I have a 2011 G37x sedan and LOVE it). The new Infiniti G sedan is supposed to debut at the NAIAS next month!

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009

Wow, I hadn't seen that. That's about the dumbest idea I've heard of. It's trivial to tell the models apart as it is now -- and you even get some powertrain information to boot. Calling everything a Q or QX makes it impossible to distinguish between model lines and engine sizes. Dumb -- and I bet it won't last.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled Apple thread...

RichiMac

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2012
SoCal
Good to hear, with so many bad reports floating around. Mine too, seems to have arrived with no discernible problems so far.

Nice to see a positive report. :apple:

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007

They dont even need the search function. At any moment there are probably 3 RAM threads on the front page.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.