Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbanewuser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2012
Hello,

I will receive a new MBA 8GB/128GB/i5 for Christmas. I've always been a windows user. However, both OS X and the portability of the MBA made me decide to switch.
I've always used USB external hard drives to store my data. However, as I've always been a windows user, both my HD are NTFS formatted. My question is: do you any software (free or cheap) that would allow me to read and write NTFS in OS X since I've no other place to store my data and format my HDs in HFS+ or exFAT.

Thanks.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Hello,

I will receive a new MBA 8GB/128GB/i5 for Christmas. I've always been a windows user. However, both OS X and the portability of the MBA made me decide to switch.
I've always used USB external hard drives to store my data. However, as I've always been a windows user, both my HD are NTFS formatted. My question is: do you any software (free or cheap) that would allow me to read and write NTFS in OS X since I've no other place to store my data and format my HDs in HFS+ or exFAT.

Thanks.

There is a way to to this in OS X but it seems to have issues, another way is Paragon which is not free.

I gave a link to another thread here, I will try to find it and report as soon as I find it.

Edit 1: If you do a search on this link with this text it will give you lots of hits.

NTFS read write

Edit 2: This link is better, look for the advise from GGJstudios

Last edited:

nightmars

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2010
Germany
Before Paragon google actually started a project software for NTFS for Macs. Never made it to V1.0, but has always been working for me without a hassle.

It,s not been offered anymore by google directly, maybe needs a bit of google search to find a server to dl it from: ntfs for mac (by google)

Cheers

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Directly-attached storage is one thing.

I have a Windows server on the LAN and am able to read directly from it (as-it wo any add-on), and write is OK too, the only thing I cannot do is to delete something created before, some kind of permission it complaints but I sign on the server with its admin password... weird havent had time to deal with it.

mbanewuser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2012
Thanks a lot! I'll give a try and/or buy one of them as soon as I get my MBA (Dec 25.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.