Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NVRENUF!

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
PERTH, Australia
guys my time machine back says full and wont back up any more ?

any ideas?

I am using an Netgear ready nas that has the time machine feature built into it.

all worked well until the allocated space got full now it just fails to back up

i thought it was meant to over write the oldest info.

some help please.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
guys my time machine back says full and wont back up any more ?

any ideas?

I am using an Netgear ready nas that has the time machine feature built into it.

all worked well until the allocated space got full now it just fails to back up

i thought it was meant to over write the oldest info.

some help please.

Can't you manually delete older backups?

If you click on the disk and get info on it is there any space left?

TimeMachine built into it, not possible, it is Apple's software and there are no External disks that have this built in.

NVRENUF!

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
PERTH, Australia
it's full, as it worked till it got full.

I shouldn't have to delete it, TM says it overwrites the oldest but isn't in thiscase.

and the netgear does have time machine option in it.

Screen%20Shot%202012-12-20%20at%207.11.18%20PM.png

NVRENUF!

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
PERTH, Australia
well i only assigned 100 gig to it, figured that be enough,

but the way i see it doesn't matter how much i allocate to time machine fact is when it gets to that limit i will get message again.

would rather figure out now what the problem is,

100 gig gets me back till early november, so that is heaps.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
it's full, as it worked till it got full.

I shouldn't have to delete it, TM says it overwrites the oldest but isn't in thiscase.

and the netgear does have time machine option in it.

Learn More: http://www.apple.com/support/timemachine/

It's not TimeMachine, TimeMachine is software owned by Apple, this NAS is playing nice with Apple's TimeMachine, maybe too nice and TimeMachine does not work properly.

Look if there is any firmware update for the NAS you have.

I just searched and got this: Netgear adds personal cloud and remote Time Machine to ReadyNAS

Remote TimeMachine is just a protocol to make it easier for APPLE's TimeMachine to make a backup to it, it is not TimeMachine.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Remote TimeMachine is just a protocol to make it easier for APPLE's TimeMachine to make a backup to it, it is not TimeMachine.

As I read it he's using Time Machine on his Mac to back up to the HD space allocated in the Time Machine settings on his ReadyNAS.

You would expect it to function normally and delete the oldest backup once the allocated space is full.

NVRENUF!

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
PERTH, Australia
Thanks

So maybe thats why it isn't working properly.

So it might be a netgear problem not apple issue

but yeah regardless of where the space is hosted once that space is full i thought
tm should overwrite the oldest info

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
As I read it he's using Time Machine on his Mac to back up to the HD space allocated in the Time Machine settings on his ReadyNAS.

You would expect it to function normally and delete the oldest backup once the allocated space is full.

Netgear calls it remote TimeMachine, I just said the software is on his Mac, Netgear just plays nice with it and probably got permission from Apple to name it this way.

-----

Look if there is new firmware, that might be the problem, might but could also be your OS.

NVRENUF!

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
PERTH, Australia
Netgear calls it remote TimeMachine, I just said the software is on his Mac, Netgear just plays nice with it and probably got permission from Apple to name it this way.

-----

Look if there is new firmware, that might be the problem, might but could also be your OS.

mmh, I have latest version of FW on nas, and i have the lastest Mountain lion with my new imac.

might have to ring netgear see what have to say. :/ painful

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
mmh, I have latest version of FW on nas, and i have the lastest Mountain lion with my new imac.

might have to ring netgear see what have to say. :/ painful

Could be both, Apple has plenty of bugs too in their OS's so hard to tell which one is to blame.

There are more people having trouble with remote (afp) TimeMachine backups here on MR.

Saw your screenshot too late, but it has clearly an r behind TimeMachine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.