Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tind Lee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2012
Guys, there has some problems with my classic, the battery in my classic was out of use, and I want to replace a new battery, also i want to place a new SSD in it, i tried to fix it, but is does not work, classic did not recognize the SSD, i found that some kind of ssd can work, but it only 64GB, I want to replace a 128GB SSD in it, can somebody give a list about which type of SSD can work well?

here is de pictures,
2351396klfflffvkyly0al.jpg

only sandisk SDPA3CD-064G works....

here is

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 198
Last edited by a moderator:

SmokeMonster

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2010
Here is an option:

It seems like the ipod classics use ZIF connections in their 1.8" HDD's.

I saw a youtube video, where a kid used the MX-Nano ZIF drive made by MX-Technologies. http://www.mx-technology.com/en/product/ssd2.php?sid=4 which also make varying storage sizes.

All he did was install it into the ipod video (fifth gen) and ran "Restore" from itunes on his PC and it was good to go.

But that's not been the same scenario for me. So I don't know if he did some sort of magic trick, or I may be missing something.

I have a macbook Pro 5,1 (15")

I went and got the 60gb 50 pin IDE version of these SSD's thinking it would work. and for a second, it did. The ipod 3rd gen popped up into iTunes with a 60 in the box that shows up now in itunes 11. This is where it gets weird for me.

http://imgur.com/3lPBd

I then hit restore, thinking, this is the logical thing to do since this is a brand new SSD that has never been in the iPod before. It is now in a restore loop. I can't get it to do anything, let alone initialize. I get the error message "unknown error" and when I got more info it just made me run through a bunch of hardware alternatives like switching cables. I did all of them and nothing changed.

I have a USB 50 pin IDE and ZIF to USB card reader and I have tried using Drive Genius, Disk Utility, Windows XP and 7 (disk manager) to get it to initialize again so I can continue to try out different settings, but it won't initialize.

In disk utility I've tried to erase or partition the drive, and it gets stuck at 50% (half way) in the progress and just stays there for hours. I've waited 17 hours once and it didn't do me any good.

Even on a windows 7 machine, it didn't initialize. it would act like it was, but once the progress bar on that completed it would say that it could not initialize due to an error.

When I right click the disk and get info it says the disk is working properly.

When I ran a scan with Drive Genius it said that there was 1 bad block and that it could not be fixed.

I ran HDD Scan in the internal diagnostics mode for on the ipod. in the iPod 3rd gen it passes. in the 4th gen I think it fails.

Before butting it in the iPod, I used my USB connector to make sure the disk was working by formatting it in disk utility and it was. It partitioned just fine before I put it in my ipod and restored it.

Is there any way that running an SSD in an ipod could corrupt the drive permanently?

Is there any software that could get me to restore the SSD back to at least factory settings so I can continue playing around with this? Right now it will mount but it won't initialize and it won't partition or format.

Thank you in advance.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Just sell the classic and get a 64GB iPod touch. I bet you can get the last gen for cheap or a refurb.

It's difficult using these old players when you're used to iPhones, etc.

I started using an HDD based player I found in my closet (iRiver!) in my car...it works fine, but waiting for it to spin up is unneeded. I could just pop in an iPod Shuffle or something for $40.

Tind Lee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2012
You dont need to play songs faster. And the power difference is small. There is no point for an SSD.

U misunderstand my point, I mean, when we use cover flow, the covers sometime can not present immediately, and if place a ssd in classic, the situation will change, not only in more faster cover flow, but also more power save(because ssd is smaller than 1.8 HDD, we can place a bigger battery in it). let me show u some pictures, some one place a new battery with more than 1500mh

Just sell the classic and get a 64GB iPod touch. I bet you can get the last gen for cheap or a refurb.

It's difficult using these old players when you're used to iPhones, etc.

I started using an HDD based player I found in my closet (iRiver!) in my car...it works fine, but waiting for it to spin up is unneeded. I could just pop in an iPod Shuffle or something for $40.

classic sounds good than touch, and touch have a poor power...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 118
Last edited by a moderator:

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Aside from slightly more battery life, you won't notice a difference. The old HDDs read speeds were far above what was needed to play music. The SSD's will be further above, but there will be no difference as the extra speed is not needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.