Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Thinking of getting an iPhone 5. We have 2 iPad minis for Xmas, and is need a spare iPhone charger fro work. Can you use an iPad Minis charger to charge the iPhone 5?

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
So the output on the mini wall charger states the same output on the iPhone 5 wall charger? Be something like 10V at 1A or something. Can someone check please.

Thanks

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
So the output on the mini wall charger states the same output on the iPhone 5 wall charger? Be something like 10V at 1A or something. Can someone check please.

Thanks

No need to check it will work, the phone will draw the amount of amps it needs (as long as it's equal or less than the max of the iPad charger).

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

Thanks
There is no USB 10V spec.

It's all 5V.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Those who ask about chargers and what not. It's not what you think. You can have a bazillion watt charger and still charge your iPhone off of it. The danger comes from plugging your iPhone into a charger that doesn't supply enough of a charge. You'd think it would be the opposite right?

I believe the iPhone charger is 1,000 mAh. The iPad 3's charger is 2100 mAh?

1. It's 100% ok to use the iPad's charger for the iPhone.
2. It's not ok to use the iPhone's charger for your iPad. Now, I've tried it and it works but you'll notice the charger getting hot.

Try a 550mAh charger on the iPad? I've actually started an old Droid 1 charger smoking using it on an iPad as a test to show people.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Was this a joke question?

No it wasn't??

Thanks for your replies.i can se an iPad mini one then great. So I take it my iPad 2 will also charge an iPad mini and an iPhone 5 too. Just means we an leave 1 charger out for all devices.

Thanks

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
No it wasn't??

Thanks for your replies.i can se an iPad mini one then great. So I take it my iPad 2 will also charge an iPad mini and an iPhone 5 too. Just means we an leave 1 charger out for all devices.

Thanks

What are you talking about? The wall adapter plugs in, then you have your 30 pin/USB (iPad 2) and Lightning/USB (Mini/iPhone 5). So of course the wall adapters WILL charge your devices as long as you swap the cords.

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
No it wasn't??

Thanks

You can leave one charger brick out I suppose, but you'll need to swap cables when you want to charge your iPad 2 or the iPhone+iPads Mini.

The iPad 2 charger brick is also 10w, so if you plug it into the adapter used by the iPhones and minis, charge times will be a bit slower.

e8beLightning-vs.-30-PIN.jpg

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
No it wasn't??

Thanks

Yes, I've been mixing and matching iPhone and iPad chargers for a couple of years with no ill effects.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Thanks this is what I meant, I understand the new Apple devices now use lightning connectors, but I was hoping leave out, as you say, one wall charger, and 2 cables, one for my iPad 2, one for iPhone 5/mini.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.