Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I am not really happy with my new iMac's ...

• Total voters

MasterLibrarian

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
So all of you new 21" or 27" owners which is your biggest 2012 iMac disappointment?

come on... there's got to be at least one!

Last edited:

iWaiting

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2012
The long indeterminable wait for it to be built ,with no date to look forward to :D

just a vague January

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
^ What iWaiting said. I requested a replacement for cosmetic marks behind the screen, yellow tints, and backlight bleeding. Currently I still have possession of the iMac 27" but it pains me to part ways so quickly... I really don't want to wait until January to receive the new unit. However, I am most likely going to return this after a week and a half of use since I have 14 days from the initial day I requested a replacement (Monday).

philipfreire

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2012
Toronto, ON
^ What iWaiting said. I requested a replacement for cosmetic marks behind the screen, yellow tints, and backlight bleeding. Currently I still have possession of the iMac 27" but it pains me to part ways so quickly... I really don't want to wait until January to receive the new unit. However, I am most likely going to return this after a week and a half of use since I have 14 days from the initial day I requested a replacement (Monday).

Call apple. Tell them you need a computer for work. They will allow you to hang on to the unit until your new one comes in and you can then return your defective unit.

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
- Lack of FW800 when all the other non-ultrabook Macs have it.
- It being a (very) late 2012 model instead of a mid 2012 model.
- My having to wait to 2013 for a 2012 model.

robo456

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
New Jersey
actually the one thing that's bothered me since the 2011's was the lack of "target mode" or any kind of adapter that would let me use the imac screen as a monitor for my xbox. :(

--rob

MasterLibrarian

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
The wait (it still isn't built) and the lack of optical drive.

Well the optical drive doesn't count in my perspective because we were aware there was no optical drive from, by time they were announced.
The question makes more sense for what you were expecting and finally didn't deliver...

tungstentim

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2007
I can live with the fact that technology moves on and companies change product line ups all the time.

What I didn't like was waiting until almost the end of November to be able to order a new imac. Now i've got it, i'm really pleased. However the wait was just tooooo long.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
Well the optical drive doesn't count in my perspective because we were aware there was no optical drive from, by time they were announced.
The question makes more sense for what you were expecting and finally didn't deliver...

Fair enough. Though then repair-ability and pricing should also be off your list, because I don't think anyone should have expected any different than what we got. ;)

Photography

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
The wait. It's inexcusable. Apple needs to get their act together. It should NOT take one month to receive a computer.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
The wait. It's inexcusable. Apple needs to get their act together. It should NOT take one month to receive a computer.

They wanted to release it as soon as possible, so they did. If they had waited longer, people would complain, though then everyone would get them at the same time. I'm satisfied that they released them and just ship them as they are ready. And no, I don't have mine yet. Still "processing" with a January 2-8 delivery estimate.

Photography

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
They wanted to release it as soon as possible, so they did. If they had waited longer, people would complain, though then everyone would get them at the same time. I'm satisfied that they released them and just ship them as they are ready. And no, I don't have mine yet. Still "processing" with a January 2-8 delivery estimate.

No, you're missing my point. I'm not talking about releasing it on time or later. Somewhere along the line, there is a supply problem for the new iMac. There's not enough of a part, it's difficult to design, whatever. Something needs to be fixed. Especially for a luxury company such as Apple, the one month wait time is petty and they should be embarrassed by it.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
No, you're missing my point. I'm not talking about releasing it on time or later. Somewhere along the line, there is a supply problem for the new iMac. There's not enough of a part, it's difficult to design, whatever. Something needs to be fixed. Especially for a luxury company such as Apple, the one month wait time is petty and they should be embarrassed by it.

If there is a supply problem this early in a product cycle, it's because someone isn't up to production speed, and holding the release would allow stock piling for the initial shipments and get production up to speed.

Things are hard to get when first released. Demand is high and the production process isn't up to 100% yet. Happens with every product release and I don't see why Apple should be embarrassed by it.

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
Out of that list, it's definitely repairability. I know it was a pipe dream to hope that they made the insides user accessible, but it would have been nice.

experimenthouse

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Out of that list, it's definitely repairability. I know it was a pipe dream to hope that they made the insides user accessible, but it would have been nice.

Agreed. I'm using my 27" right now and absolutely loving it. Haven't had any noticeable issues. I checked the backlighting, and okay…the edges are a bit brighter than the rest. It's not 100% evenly backlit. But I have to strain my eyes to notice, or use a 100% black screen.

I can't find a defect on the thing. Bass is a bit sucky on the speakers (but as if you'd expect them to be serious speakers), but I can use it for watching films way better than I expected.

Repairability does annoy me somewhat, especially considering that if it used magnets to attach the screen it'd be much easier to get inside. The internal layout looks very easy to work around, so it'd be awesome if we could take the screen out and fix the insides if necessary.

But hey, three year warranty. Hopefully it'll help me earn more than the cost of getting a new one in three to five years' time.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
For the 21.5"
- Really poor performing HDD. From my own tests now I'm seeing about a 35% less performance vs. the 1tb 3.5" drive in the 2011 iMac.
- Lack of user upgradability on the 21.5" (should at least be able to upgrade memory)
- Also the lack of options, like having to go to the upper model to get a Fusion drive so it costs $450 to get a decent performing drive.

gagaliya

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
27" maxed out (except ssd) bto, overall happy except osx issues coming from win 7.

my biggest disappointment was the lack of a middle tier ssd only option, i was sure that would be a given but apple jacked us with only the $1300 upgrade or fusion, which would force bootcamp on the regular hdd instead of ssd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.