Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drich290195

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
Just got the iPad 4 and the home button does not seem to press in as much as my iPhone 5 s it works fine just does not feel like it depresses the same. Any ideas is this normal

S

syd430

Just got the iPad 4 and the home button does not seem to press in as much as my iPhone 5 s it works fine just does not feel like it depresses the same. Any ideas is this normal

Yes its normal. The iPhone 5 has a reinforced home button to address the non-responsive issues from previous generations. The iPad 4 uses the existing home button design from the iPad 2/3.

Apple Techs

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2012
Phoenix, Az
Yes its normal. The iPhone 5 has a reinforced home button to address the non-responsive issues from previous generations. The iPad 4 uses the existing home button design from the iPad 2/3.

You do realize the home button sat on the midframe on the 4 and 4s the 5 is a little different design hence why they reinforced it has nothing to do with home button issues

The non response issues came from bad capacitors and the little metal disc getting off set to the side instead of being in the middle it was held in place by plastic and adhesive and shifted around quite frequently (still does)

S

syd430

You do realize the home button sat on the midframe on the 4 and 4s the 5 is a little different design hence why they reinforced it has nothing to do with home button issues

The non response issues came from bad capacitors and the little metal disc getting off set to the side instead of being in the middle it was held in place by plastic and adhesive and shifted around quite frequently (still does)

I was basing it on the iFixit tear down that i've linked above.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I also notice this on my ipad 4. From what I understand the iPads have always had the metal bracket. So it's probably just different placement.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012

Actually, more often than not it's actually the degradation of the little flex cable which connects the home button to the MLB. Which is why the problem was virtually non existent on 3G/3GS but massive on 4/4S.

Apple Techs

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2012
Phoenix, Az
Actually, more often than not it's actually the degradation of the little flex cable which connects the home button to the MLB. Which is why the problem was virtually non existent on 3G/3GS but massive on 4/4S.

The home button on the 4 and 4s connects to the dock which connect to the main logic board

just letting you know

maybe 2 out of 10 is related to the dock (specifically the connection for the home button flex attached to the dock assembly just left of the mic)

6 out of 10 is related to the metal buttons getting out of place because of the crappy adhesive/glue they use to hold the plastic in place which holds the metal plates in the proper area

2 out of 10 for bad capacitors (which I have honestly removed the glue and tested out they are tiny but nothing a stereoscopic microscope can't help with)

thats just my experience (and general numbers) I am not an apple engineer I have just fixed literally thousands of iphones and that is what I have seen related to the home button on the 4 and 4s

unless you mean degradation of the home button flex related to those damned metal plates and the plastic that holds them in place they are the exact same design as what makes the click on your macbook

Last edited:

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
The home button on the 4 and 4s connects to the dock which connect to the main logic board

just letting you know

maybe 2 out of 10 is related to the dock (specifically the connection for the home button flex attached to the dock assembly just left of the mic)

6 out of 10 is related to the metal buttons getting out of place because of the crappy adhesive/glue they use to hold the plastic in place which holds the metal plates in the proper area

2 out of 10 for bad capacitors (which I have honestly removed the glue and tested out they are tiny but nothing a stereoscopic microscope can't help with)

thats just my experience (and general numbers) I am not an apple engineer I have just fixed literally thousands of iphones and that is what I have seen related to the home button on the 4 and 4s

Yes, and between those parts is a tiny black flex cable (which ultimately connects via the same cable as the dock, yes). More often than not, reseating this cable will solve any home button issues (I would say that this procedure fixed 90% of home button problems I ever saw - and that was, unfortunately, a lot).

I have personally never seen a home button issue due to a bad cap.

Apple Techs

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2012
Phoenix, Az
Yes, and between those parts is a tiny black flex cable (which ultimately connects via the same cable as the dock, yes). More often than not, reseating this cable will solve any home button issues (I would say that this procedure fixed 90% of home button problems I ever saw - and that was, unfortunately, a lot).

I have personally never seen a home button issue due to a bad cap.

reseating it....maybe a few times has that helped (I don't go straight for selling a service I do try to fix it without using parts)

you would be surprised on the bad caps
at first I had no clue everything looked good the pins on the home flex where good and on the dock connector metal plates where good so I got a crazy idea that possibly the capacitors where bad checked it on the flex cable and believe it or not bad cap I have checked a few others and same thing but only in the case that everything looks perfect and I am REALLY bored

Alex Finlayson

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2012
Yea, it is apparently normal. The button on my iPad also felt really weird to me and I asked my pal who works at the Apple Store about it. He said it's normal and that he's had several customers mention it too, however that it's just how they designed it.

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
This is nothing new, iPads have always had a different "feel" to their home buttons than iPhones. It would almost appear that they are less clicky and require less pressure to activate than the iPhone ones.

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
I just picked up iPad 4 last night and have the same mushy home button. Sometimes it doesnt register the first press, just like everybody described here.

Are you guys living with this or going in for swap on a new device? I'm on the fence and may take it back tonight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.