Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
Until Passbook can replace every card in my wallet, I'll stick with LastPass Wallet.

It is more than a wallet. In fact a digital wallet can integrate with Passbook to offer more features. E.g., look like Lemon Wallet. I believe they are a digital wallet company, but they just added Passbook support last month.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
I get the point of this app but it's quite useless when there's not a single app that I would use that utilizes it. :rolleyes:

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
I get the point of this app but it's quite useless when there's not a single app that I would use that utilizes it. :rolleyes:

It probably means you are not a deal hunter. The major deal aggregators are already onboard.

The businesses would rather you pay full price for their products. So they won't seek you out explicitly. You have to go hunt for the discounts.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
I just "discovered" Passbook yesterday. Am intrigued, as I look at how many cards are in my wallet. Sounds like the issues are normal to a serious chicken-and-egg situation: :apple: needs to push this out there despite lack of on-board businesses and lots of technical snafus 'cuz that's the reality of how new or extended ecosystems start.

Suspended
Oct 24, 2007
I use a 3Gs in Australia and I get a selection of one app that seems to support it. And it's for a service wouldn't have a clue about. Seems like a waste of time to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
What!?

in the UK there are 5 apps I can see with 2 of them being american and united airlines. What major retails are using it? The only that that i can see when i open up passbook is starbucks. So if you're using passbook and don't drink coffee NO retailer is using it.

I take it the USA has a load more passbook apps (i.e., more than 5 and more retailers opposed to travel)

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
I just "discovered" Passbook yesterday. Am intrigued, as I look at how many cards are in my wallet. Sounds like the issues are normal to a serious chicken-and-egg situation: :apple: needs to push this out there despite lack of on-board businesses and lots of technical snafus 'cuz that's the reality of how new or extended ecosystems start.

There are 2 ways to start using Passbook right now.

1) Sign up with a participating retailer or deal aggregator.

2) Start with your preferred payment mechanism. Square just launched their gift card program a couple of weeks ago. they also handle Starbucks transactions. For straight credit card use, only Discover, AMEX, and Singapore's DBS bank has Passbook integration to my knowledge.

----------

What!?

in the UK there are 5 apps I can see with 2 of them being american and united airlines. What major retails are using it? The only that that i can see when i open up passbook is starbucks. So if you're using passbook and don't drink coffee NO retailer is using it.

I take it the USA has a load more passbook apps (i.e., more than 5 and more retailers opposed to travel)

See here for more Passbook services:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passbook_(application)

It's still missing 10-12 apps.

mariana888

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2010
UK
UK has 5 Apps... whooo.

Starbucks
iHotel
United Airlines
American Airline
Lufthansa

Odeon cinema did a one hit thing from their site for a free ticket... the only time I used it.

*edit* - http://www.odeon.co.uk/film30/ Oddly and pointlessly still there - ran out in October.

I've downloaded the Starbucks app but it doesn't appear "inside" passbook, so it is like having another app, thought the whole idea of wallet was to keep it all in one place.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
I recently tried this with the Starbucks app, and it worked. However, I found out I couldn't refill my card or check my rewards balance on it so I ended up just reverting back to the Starbucks app.

Gimmick at best IMO

I've found it's easier to use "money" to pay for my Starbucks than apps or passbook. I hand over cash or my card and it pays for the drink. Putting money into something limited to one store or item as always seemed a bit of an annoying gimmick to me.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
I've downloaded the Starbucks app but it doesn't appear "inside" passbook, so it is like having another app, thought the whole idea of wallet was to keep it all in one place.

Passbook keeps all the passes together. The apps are just vessels carrying the passes to the Passbook app. You can also get Passbook passes in Email and from a website.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Hard to believe this article. I couldn't figure out how PassBook worked...until I realized that hardly any vendors use it. Found one airline...but didn't work internationally.

Pretty disappointed in Apple's latest offerings...SIRI, PassBook. Like Maps better, but clearly it needs work too.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Passbook seems like the app equivalent of Thunderbolt. It was announced with tons of fanfare and everyone thought it would be revolutionary.

Months later (or years in Thunderbolt's case), most developers remain either unwilling or unable to embrace the technology for one reason or another so people aren't using it in large numbers.

gijoeinla

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Its nice for Fandango, but when its said and done I'm paying 2$ more to use it. So, uh, nope.

What FUD. Fandango charges a transaction fee regardless of Passbook. Check your facts. Do you think Fandango is is business for giving away it's service for nothing. ##.

FYI - AMC stubs card number entered into your Fandango account info on their saves you the $2.00 service fee. Per ticket.

Clearly you've really never end used Fandango otherwise you'd know what I'm saying to be true

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
I honestly still don't know how passbook really works...
It's very confusing.

LOL, my opinion too. I thought I could at least add Apple to my passbook so I downloaded the Apple app for Passbook.

The Apple app sits directly next to the Passbook app, but not in Passbook. That certainly seems silly. I could download as many store apps as I want and move them all in a "shopping" folder. I'm obviously not getting something.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
I've found it's easier to use "money" to pay for my Starbucks than apps or passbook. I hand over cash or my card and it pays for the drink. Putting money into something limited to one store or item as always seemed a bit of an annoying gimmick to me.

Yeah, I think the Starbucks app can be improved further.

For the moment, Passbook is most useful for aggregating deals. You will have to scout for the deals using the right apps first.

It is not "second nature" yet.

MrAwax

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2009
I've downloaded a few Passbook apps from the store but they just get their own icon on my home screen. They don't get put into Passbook. Am I supposed to drag them onto the passbook icon?

A pass is just a file that lives in Apple Passbook app. The Passbook app sole and only purpose is to have a single place to store all your passes. Your Passbook apps are just apps that happen to interact with your passes. This is not like the newstand folder when a very specific class of app are displayed in this very specific folder and no other apps can be displayed here and the apps can not be displayed elsewhere. The Passbook app is not a folder: it is an app that contain data.

Passes can be created in 3 ways:
  • received by mail
  • downloaded from a website
  • created by a Passbook app
So a service provider does no need to edit and distribute an app to use Passbook. Your email address or visiting a website are enough.

Passbook apps are apps that are able to create, edit or delete passes. An app can access only passes signed with the same vendor code : your Starbuck app can not access the passes from Delta Airlines. Previously, the app was the way you interacted with the service provider before Passbook. Your Starbuck app would allow quick payments and your Delta Airlines app would contain your tickets. Now those apps allow to store those items in Passbook as an alternative. The added value for the user is the fact that all his tickets/cards are at the same place, support push updates and geoloc activation (passes can have geoloc information so they conveniently popup when you are near a Starbuck or approaching the airport).

Passes are just static data but they have specials trick to allow some kind of dynamic content. When a pass is stored in the Passbook app, it can (if configured) call home and register the device to receive updates for this pass. So if the service provider wants to update the pass (with a new account balance, updated boarding information, etc ...), they can push it.

This is all you should now to properly handle your passes and understand what's possible and what's not.

NFC is completely unrelated to Passbook. NFC is a near-field transmission technology, with only a few normalized usages (like BlueTooth but with much less profiles and existing devices). Passbook is a software solution aimed at solution real-world situation. Passes being static data, a complementary usage between NFC and Passbook would be to beam the content (or part of) of the pass to a nearby device. Passbook does not require NFC to perform the same usage: it can display a 2D code bar that can be scanned by devices that are already deployed today, providing added value now. And here NFC does not add any value, just an alternate technology.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I like it. Use starbucks all the time. Just need Nectar to get over their issue of their "scanners" in major retails not being able to scan barcodes off screens.

Useless idiots

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
LOL, my opinion too. I thought I could at least add Apple to my passbook so I downloaded the Apple app for Passbook.

The Apple app sits directly next to the Passbook app, but not in Passbook. That certainly seems silly. I could download as many store apps as I want and move them all in a "shopping" folder. I'm obviously not getting something.

Nah... the Passbook app is not meant to aggregate apps. It's meant to aggregate the digital coupons, passes and tickets. Apple should feature the Passbook-aware apps more prominently but separately.

KanosWRX

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
To useless and complicated right now, first you need the actual retailers app to put the stuff in passbook, which is a stupid needless step. Passbook should be setup so you don't have to use an app to add things to it. They should be able to just go straight into Passbook. Apple should work with the retailers to make this easier. The last thing I want is to have to download every app just to get their coupons or gift cards into passbook. If I have the app with the gift cards in it already, why bother having passbook??

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
I use the Wallgreens all the time because you don't get sale prices without a rewards card. I would love to see it come to Best Buy that would be useful.

Oh and I don't find it complicated at all, seems simple to me. If you can't figure Passbook out you certainly wouldn't understand how to use NFC if we had it.

gijoeinla

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Let's face it the service in what 2 months old? It's the middle of the holiday shopping season AND Apples development team that handles Apps will be on vacation all next week - closed -- so who or what company would dare launch a redemption app at this point of the year - I mean a major company or air carrier?

Why is everything Apples fault? Anyone here realize that the technology on the retailer side is NOT always there or ready -- Doh!

Um NFC on Google suffers the same fate - growth issues. Since a more secure fingerprint oriented version is headed to Apple stop crying.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
Passbook seems like the app equivalent of Thunderbolt. It was announced with tons of fanfare and everyone thought it would be revolutionary.

Months later (or years in Thunderbolt's case), most developers remain either unwilling or unable to embrace the technology for one reason or another so people aren't using it in large numbers.

Not all apps can be integrated with Passbook. It's mainly for eCommerce.

There are already 40-50 apps for getting us Passbook discounts and deals today/yesterday and they are still increasing.

Look at the wiki link I posted to see familiar brands offering Passbook discounts. Mostly in US though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.