Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheNextBigThing

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
Pearl of the Orient
My college graduation day comes 4 months from now. And my parents promised me a smartphone as a gift. I'm undecided on which phone to choose. An iPhone 5 or a Galaxy Note II??? :confused:

I'm sure this forum will help me decide which one to choose. :)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by a moderator:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd say first decide 3 to 4 months from now, you don't know how the smartphone will look like this spring.

Secondly, do you want to live within the android or iOS ecosystem?

Have you tried either phone, to see how it performs and feels in your hand. Ultimately the decision is up to you. People here can make all sorts of recommendations but really its up to you.

Which phone works best for you and which platform best meets your needs.

eggas

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2012

Remember that in 4 months the galaxy s4 is propably gonna be out :) with 5" full hd screen and possibly really durable (bendable screen)

I would say if you can't wait that long go with the note 2. I used to be huge iPhone fan and now that I bought the galaxy s3 awhile ago and having used my friends note 2 and also friends iPhone 5, I would definately go with samsung :) I still have my 4S but its gathering dust in the table..hope it helps..

ps. if you want any detailed experiences and reasoning why I prefer samsungs nowadays I can answer here a bit later :p heres a quick few points

- 4" screen is still too small and I have super small hands
- note2 and galaxy s3 feel better in my hands cuz of the curves (the build quality is better in iphone 5 though)
- android > iOS in my opinion
- touchwiz is finally good now, I actually prefer it to stock android
- burst camera shots, multiwindows and million options and cool features in galaxys

E: agree with maflynn, the ecosystem point is really good&important
and also like maflynn said its really hard for us to help you, just go to stores with an open mind and do it multiple times so you actually know what the devices are in 'real-life'.

Last edited:

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Wait. I can highly reccommend the note 2 now but in 4 months time there might be the galaxy s4 out which will prob be better. Tech moves pretty fast.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
In my country a 16GB iPhone 5 costs 739€, while a Galaxy Note 2 is only 489€. This would make my choice obvious. The gap widens if I need more memory, as the Note has a slot for MicroSDs, which are dirt cheap.

tensiondeadache

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Southern California
After owning the iPhone 5 and being a huge iOS guy forever....Note 2. The iPhone 5 is too small and too light. I think the Note 2 will be much more useful for you. Don't forget about the Droid DNA, the Nexus 4, and my phone, the LUMIA 920!!!!

TheNextBigThing

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
Pearl of the Orient
I'd say first decide 3 to 4 months from now, you don't know how the smartphone will look like this spring.

Secondly, do you want to live within the android or iOS ecosystem?

Have you tried either phone, to see how it performs and feels in your hand. Ultimately the decision is up to you. People here can make all sorts of recommendations but really its up to you.

Which phone works best for you and which platform best meets your needs.

I currently have an LG Optimus One, Android 2.2 Froyo installed. I also currently have a Mid-2009 13" MBP, Snow Leopard 10.6.8 installed.

I've tried using the two phones. And I was amazed on the big screen of the Note II. I find the iPhone 5 a little bit small compared to Note II. I also love the widgets/customization of the Android. But in my opinion, iPhone 5 has more beautiful physical appearance than the Note 2.

I live here in a developing Asian country. iPhone 5 was launched in the US Dec 21. It was launched here 3 months after.

Remember that in 4 months the galaxy s4 is propably gonna be out :) with 5" full hd screen and possibly really durable (bendable screen)

I would say if you can't wait that long go with the note 2. I used to be huge iPhone fan and now that I bought the galaxy s3 awhile ago and having used my friends note 2 and also friends iPhone 5, I would definately go with samsung :) I still have my 4S but its gathering dust in the table..hope it helps..

ps. if you want any detailed experiences and reasoning why I prefer samsungs nowadays I can answer here a bit later :p heres a quick few points

- 4" screen is still too small and I have super small hands
- note2 and galaxy s3 feel better in my hands cuz of the curves (the build quality is better in iphone 5 though)
- android > iOS in my opinion
- touchwiz is finally good now, I actually prefer it to stock android
- burst camera shots, multiwindows and million options and cool features in galaxys

E: agree with maflynn, the ecosystem point is really good&important
and also like maflynn said its really hard for us to help you, just go to stores with an open mind and do it multiple times so you actually know what the devices are in 'real-life'.

Here's the list of what I consider for my next phone:

1. Camera. I love photography.
2. Big Display. I love watching movies.
3. Ease of use. My phone is beside me 24/7.
4. Gaming experience.
5. I also always read internet articles and PDF Books.
6. Storage capacity. I have lots of stuffs.
7. Messaging. My current phone only stores hundreds of text messages. I want a phone that can store thousands of text messages.
8. Compatibility to my Mac.
6. Lastly, the prestige of having a cool phone. :cool:

I don't have a tablet. Note 2 is a phablet which gives it additional points.
But I know Apple makes great products. I mean, my Mac is still fast after 3 years. Not to mention it still runs Snow leopard. I'm thinking that if I buy an iPhone, I can use it for at least 3 years considering Apple's build quality and great software support.

If I buy a new phone next year, my next update will be on 2016.

Blackberryroid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
/private/var/vm/
These answers make me doubt if there really is an Apple fan on MacRumors. It's an Apple news site, these answers are completely unexpected.

My answer would be iPhone 5, definitely. Android isn't as user friendly as the iOS, most people who switched to Android went back. They regretted it.

There are only two good choices. Windows Phone or iOS. Crashing isn't an option. It comes bundled with Android.

TheNextBigThing

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
Pearl of the Orient
Wait. I can highly reccommend the note 2 now but in 4 months time there might be the galaxy s4 out which will prob be better. Tech moves pretty fast.

Thanks! I'll also consider GS4 when it's already available here the time I'll purchase my next phone.

In my country a 16GB iPhone 5 costs 739€, while a Galaxy Note 2 is only 489€. This would make my choice obvious. The gap widens if I need more memory, as the Note has a slot for MicroSDs, which are dirt cheap.

Here in my country, here's the price of the two phone (converted to closing rate in US Dollars)

iPhone5 - $810
Note 2 - $738

The difference is 70+ US Dollars.

After owning the iPhone 5 and being a huge iOS guy forever....Note 2. The iPhone 5 is too small and too light. I think the Note 2 will be much more useful for you. Don't forget about the Droid DNA, the Nexus 4, and my phone, the LUMIA 920!!!!

I went to a shopping mall last month and after using the Note 2 for 15 minutes and going back to the iPhone4S, I noticed the huge difference in screen size. I tried to put the Note 2 in my pocket and it fit well. I also have an average size hand.

----------

These answers make me doubt if there really is an Apple fan on MacRumors. It's an Apple news site, these answers are completely unexpected.

My answer would be iPhone 5, definitely. Android isn't as user friendly as the iOS, most people who switched to Android went back. They regretted it.

There are only two good choices. Windows Phone or iOS. Crashing isn't an option. It comes bundled with Android.

Thanks for your opinion. I agree that iOS is user friendly. My phone has Android 2.2 installed in it. 2010 android version called Froyo. And it's not that good compared to iOS. It doesn't have some features which a smartphone should have like group messaging on contacts which forces me to check one by one the hundreds of recipients of my group message. I think it's already fixed with the later version but I haven't updated my phone yet. And I don't have plans to update because of the inconvenience, for my part, to connect my phone on a windows PC.

One of my classmates has iPhone 4S. I borrowed it for an hour, and the user experience is very nice).

I haven't yet used the latest version of the Android called Jellybean for an hour so, I don't have the right to judge it. But I think improvement in 2 years is a milestone.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
4. Gaming experience.
7. Messaging. My current phone only stores hundreds of text messages. I want a phone that can store thousands of text messages.
First, I'd not worry about prestige what others think. Get the phone that works best for you, regardless of what logo it may have on the back.

Secondly, if you want to watch movies, lots of capacity then the NOTE II is a better option then the iPhone.

I'm not sure how android games stack up again iOS, its been a long time since I was on android but I think storage and the ability for the phone to use a SD card is a big advantage. I think messaging is based on how much storage you have so it goes hand in hand with #6

Compatibility with your mac - you'll probably need some software like doubletwist to sync your music, but if you have movies on iTunes I don't think you can play them because iTunes movies still have DRM. Keep that in mind when thinking this through.

All things being equal it seems the note II is a better option, but I'll reiterate my advice. Since your need is not immediate then I suggest you wait since there may be a better phone out there when you're ready to get it.

TheNextBigThing

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
Pearl of the Orient
First, I'd not worry about prestige what others think. Get the phone that works best for you, regardless of what logo it may have on the back.

All things being equal it seems the note II is a better option, but I'll reiterate my advice. Since your need is not immediate then I suggest you wait since there may be a better phone out there when you're ready to get it.

Thank you! From now on, I'll consider your point. I'd not worry about the prestige others think. It's my personal phone, anyways. :)

At this point, Note II really seems a better option for me. But I've read an article last week saying that the Note 3 is on its way with a 6.3-inch display. Is this probable to happen?

How would you compare the camera of the two phones?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
At this point, Note II really seems a better option for me. But I've read an article last week saying that the Note 3 is on its way with a 6.3-inch display. Is this probable to happen?

I've heard the rumor, though I wonder how hold-able or pocket-able such a large phone would be. Its rumored to be released in 2013, though I've not seen any refinement of that date, i.e., early 2013, mid or late?

TheNextBigThing

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
Pearl of the Orient
I've heard the rumor, though I wonder how hold-able or pocket-able such a large phone would be. Its rumored to be released in 2013, though I've not seen any refinement of that date, i.e., early 2013, mid or late?

6.3-inch is too large for me. Me personal preference is 6" maximum.

Here's a personal question:

What's your current personal phone? I'm just curious.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011

Android 4.1 is stable on the note 2. It's fast and doesn't crash. Im an apple fan in every way except I think the note 2 is superior to the iphone 5. If windows was better than osx id buy it, but it's not and I love my macs. By the way I had an iphone since the 3g until recently. After the note 2 I wouldn't go back anytime soon. Maybe don't judge a book by the cover.

Does it sound like that I regretted my move to android? ??

----------

I would doubt that you would see the note3 in the first half of 2013, the note 2 hasn't been out for very long.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

I don't know if this was moved to this forum or not but a lot of people in the alternatives to iOS section have Apple device but prefer something other then then iOS on mobile devices.

As far as your comment I disagree. The only reason I feel someone would think Android isn't as user friendly is because they are given more choice with customization.

And stability? I think someone would have to be in denial to say Android is any more/less stable then iOS.

Just goto diag in settings (not as user friendly as android) and look for yourself.

This is my 4S

Apps crashing, springboard crash meant the phone crashed

u7ujy2yv.jpg

Reset counter is when you reset the phone manually. I do this when things get weird.

jagyhaha.jpg

Up time of my Xoom LTE that I use just as much, if not more then my 4S. Which also doubles as a wifi hotspot so its actually being used a lot more.

ha8use6u.jpg

I think Android had a lot of issues in the past but now its just as stable and more so in my case.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
So where will I compare the iPhone 5? To iPhone 4S?

I don't get you. Lots of tech writers are comparing the iPhone 5 to the Note 2 after it was released.

One is a smartphone the other is a phablet. Both run totally different operating systems. They are pretty much at the opposite ends of the spectrum of mobile phones. His analogy isn't to far off, it would be like asking if you should get a smart car or a range rover. Both are equally nice at doing different things.

Reviewers will review whatever they think people want.

Most people know right off the bat which they want just from the size or OS. Personally it is to large of a device for me to carry around on me.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I currently have an LG Optimus One, Android 2.2 Froyo installed. I also currently have a Mid-2009 13" MBP, Snow Leopard 10.6.8 installed.

I've tried using the two phones. And I was amazed on the big screen of the Note II. I find the iPhone 5 a little bit small compared to Note II. I also love the widgets/customization of the Android. But in my opinion, iPhone 5 has more beautiful physical appearance than the Note 2.

I live here in a developing Asian country. iPhone 5 was launched in the US Dec 21. It was launched here 3 months after.

Here's the list of what I consider for my next phone:

4. Gaming experience.

I don't have a tablet. Note 2 is a phablet which gives it additional points.
But I know Apple makes great products. I mean, my Mac is still fast after 3 years. Not to mention it still runs Snow leopard. I'm thinking that if I buy an iPhone, I can use it for at least 3 years considering Apple's build quality and great software support.

If I buy a new phone next year, my next update will be on 2016.

From what you've mentioned there I'd say you're more suited to an iPhone.

It will sync very well with your mac if you move to Mountain Lion (iCloud integration) if you're using Googles services then maybe a droid is right for you.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
The above is not only unexpected and out of touch, it is downright bizarre.

LOL.... Ignorance is bliss I suppose. I will "pretend" apps do not crash on my iPhone and iPad because if they just silently "go away" it must be how it was intended. I won't go and look at the crash logs because, well, it might depress me.

Most people on the internet who claim "most people" do anything are just making it up.

As for the question at hand? Note 2 and do not look back.

Michael

Last edited:

TheNextBigThing

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
Pearl of the Orient
One is a smartphone the other is a phablet. Both run totally different operating systems. They are pretty much at the opposite ends of the spectrum of mobile phones. His analogy isn't to far off, it would be like asking if you should get a smart car or a range rover. Both are equally nice at doing different things.

Reviewers will review whatever they think people want.

Most people know right off the bat which they want just from the size or OS. Personally it is to large of a device for me to carry around on me.

Okay. I understand now. It's like comparing grapes to apples. What you choose is based on your personal preference.

As of now, basing on the comments posted, the result is 7 vs 2 in favor of Note 2.

Is there a probability that Apple will release a larger phone next year, in addition to 4"? Say, 5"-6". I mean, they have 2 sizes of Macbook Pro, 2 sizes of iPad, and 2 sizes of iMac. Apple must realize that there is a big market for a phablet device to cater the needs of those who prefer it. Just an opinion.

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
Okay. I understand now. It's like comparing grapes to apples. What you choose is based on your personal preference.

As of now, basing on the comments posted, the result is 7 vs 2 in favor of Note 2.

Is there a probability that Apple will release a larger phone next year, in addition to 4"? Say, 5"-6". I mean, they have 2 sizes of Macbook Pro, 2 sizes of iPad, and 2 sizes of iMac. Apple must realize that there is a big market for a phablet device to cater the needs of those who prefer it. Just an opinion.

OP: You post is in the Alternatives to iOS so many of us here are using an Android product or two so the results will naturally tend to skew more in favor of an Android based phone - Not that it makes it the wrong choice, or bad advice, but just be aware of that fact.

No one here knows the probability and anyone who claims to have inside knowledge or anything close to that is just speculating - your guess and opinion is as good as theirs.

Good luck in the remainder of school and enjoy whatever device you choose!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.