Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Am I the only one 100% covered by WiFi? Starbucks, Work, Home, Parent's House, Church, College, Relative's Houses, ..... Well *****... I don't know why I don't just get an iPod touch with Skype :(.

Restaurants? Grocery stores? Movie theaters? Ball parks? Middle of the road? I'm sure your coverage is less than 100%

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Restaurants? Grocery stores? Movie theaters? Ball parks? Middle of the road? I'm sure your coverage is less than 100%

yes yes yes I know - my point being, I average like 40-50MB of data and have for the last 3 years I've been with Verizon because every time I use my phone I'm almost always on WiFi.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
Best thing to do is go with a 2 gig data plan for one month, see if you go above 1 gig -- if not, just stick with a 1 gig plan the following month, if you do -- obviously keep the 2 gig plan.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
To the OP, why don't you start with 1 GB, monitor your data usage closely the first month, and proactively add data if needed during that month? I'm assuming AT&T will let you proactively add data as needed to avoid overages.

I'm on Verizon and I'm pretty sure I can add data proactively even in the middle of a billing cycle if it looks like I'll go over before the end of the billing cycle. If I add data proactively before I hit the cap, it's cheaper than going over the cap and paying Verizon something like $15 per GB for overages.

Last edited:

lookn4wifi

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Whatever AT&T data plan you choose you can keep an eye on it by calling *DATA# .

This helps if you forget to reset your data usage at the start of your next billing cycle.

My data plan is 3,072 MB a month. Last month I used 3,015 MB. If I didn't keep an eye on it I would have been paying overages.

Even though the plan is called a 3 GB plan, that extra 72 MB comes in handy.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I'm on a family share plan with 7 iPhone users and we're currently using around 2GB per month. I use my phone whenever I feel like it, but I'm almost always under WiFi.

People who use more data than that must really download a lot or something.

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
i started out with 2gb with verizon and switched to 1gb. I was average around 500mb a month. emails, fbs, twitter, games, some live podcast... i do get on wifi a lot so that helps

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
im not around wifi a lot because they are mostly locked networks so i use 2gb ( 2-3 hours of tethering in 1 month total )

so if you are a poweruser and use navigation a lot then get the 2 gb. if your just surfing 1gb enough especially if your going to college + home because there is a lot of wifi there. altho LTE might be faster then these lolcampus routers

scorpio1973

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2009
The carriers love you!

They love me too, LOL! I have used 109.36 MB of my unlimited LTE data and I am 22 days into my billing cycle. I am mostly on wifi and I generally don't stream. Honestly, I don't really need unlimited data, but I won't give it up until AT&T forces me.

emmatacey

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
I just got Verizon and I went with 1GB. I have wifi at home and at work and friends house. I've had my phone for 2 months now and haven't even come close to half a GB. I figured it was cheaper to do 1GB and if there was 1 month in which I went over it was cheaper paying for that 1 month than to pay for another GB for 12 months a year. I'm happy with my choice.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Actual data usage on the carrier side may surprise you. I've always thought of myself as a semi-heavy user (at least for data). I have 3 exchange/push accounts (work and personal) running daily for email, contacts and calendar. I also surf at least an hour a day, most days closer to two. I use Google Maps daily (it supposedly uses quite a bit of data). In addition to that, I view at least a few news and YouTube videos a day. On occasion I also tether my iPhone to my wifi-iPad when away from home.

FWIW, I have wifi at home but my work wifi is very spotty. For my usage I figured I should be on a 6GB data plan which I've been on for 2 years. Just last week I requested a break-down of data usage from my carrier, and I was shocked when I saw my actual usage.

It turns out I've been averaging 200-300 MB/month. Only during two month in the last year I've gone over 500MB (680MB was my highest month). :eek:

Needless to say I dumped my 6GB plan for 2GB which is saving me a few bucks. I think it's best to trial run with a larger amount than what you anticipate, and then after a few months request your usage from the carrier (don't rely on your iPhone meter - they usually are quite a bit off from each other) and only then you'd be able to really tailor a data plan for your usage.

My own formula for data plan is based on double what I've been averaging plus a bit of buffer (which in my case is ~2GB).

jstar002

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
Actual data usage on the carrier side may surprise you. I've always thought of myself as a semi-heavy user (at least for data). I have 3 exchange/push accounts (work and personal) running daily for email, contacts and calendar. I also surf at least an hour a day, most days closer to two. I use Google Maps daily (it supposedly uses quite a bit of data). In addition to that, I view at least a few news and YouTube videos a day. On occasion I also tether my iPhone to my wifi-iPad when away from home.

FWIW, I have wifi at home but my work wifi is very spotty. For my usage I figured I should be on a 6GB data plan which I've been on for 2 years. Just last week I requested a break-down of data usage from my carrier, and I was shocked when I saw my actual usage.

It turns out I've been averaging 200-300 MB/month. Only during two month in the last year I've gone over 500MB (680MB was my highest month). :eek:

Needless to say I dumped my 6GB plan for 2GB which is saving me a few bucks. I think it's best to trial run with a larger amount than what you anticipate, and then after a few months request your usage from the carrier (don't rely on your iPhone meter - they usually are quite a bit off from each other) and only then you'd be able to really tailor a data plan for your usage.

My own formula for data plan is based on double what I've been averaging plus a bit of buffer (which in my case is ~2GB).

Just an update on my usage.. have had my phone for awhile now. I also consider myself a heavy user but mostly use wifi at home and work from home... However, for the rare times im not home I do surf compulsively and was sure I was using a ton of data...

I downloaded the ATT app which shows u exactly how much u are using monthly as well as check it online.. Turns it I use less than 100 mb a month... lol .... I don't see myself even using over 200mb and i am always surfing.... 2 gig is way excessive for me... i don't think i can even surpass 500mb...

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
Just remember that having data to use if your wi fi ever messes up is a real luxury. When I'm in bed and my wifi doesn't load for some reason, I can switch to data not worrying at all about my usage since I have 6 gb.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
I am considering which AT&T plan to get...

Is 1 gig of data enough if I will probably spend 2 hours a day surfing but not streaming videos or youtube/movies at all. Just forums, sites like Macrumors, twitter Latimes and other web sites... I surf around a lot though...

I maybe get around 100 e-mails a day max from all my e-mail accounts...

Do you think 1 gig will be enough?

I don't know how all of you live off such little data.

I use about 5.5 GB per month.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
It all depends how much you are willing to spend data. On my old plan I had 3gb and used about 2.5 every month. On my new plan I have 1gb and use about 850mb a month. I don't stream radio in my car anymore and also do not watch youtube. I don't wish to go over so I tailor my use not to do so. To me data is a luxury for the most part. I absolutely do not need data everywhere I go, but its nice to have.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
I don't ever do streaming, unless on wifi, and I still regularly use around 2.5GB a month. Take that for what it's worth.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
With the iPhone 5 you can get 512MB and then 3GB and it goes up from there. No 1GB package that Im aware of. I have the unlimited texting with unlimited mobile to mobile also.

I though about dropping unlimited texting because 90% of my messages are imessage but they didnt have a texting package that would make much sense

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Working from home while on WiFi seriously reduces your data usage.

If you want to keep your data usage low and use it mostly for web browsing Onavo Extend is nice because it gives you server-side compression of web pages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.