Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
My iMac is doing much better today. Yesterday I was having image retention over the entire screen within 5 minutes of leaving anything up. Today it takes 10 minutes for something to be retained and it is only doing it on the lower right side of the screen. Yesterday I was seeing my URL bar on the desktop whenever I would close the browser. I haven't seen it today at all. So, maybe this will improve even more.

This picture is after displaying a grid pattern for 10 minutes. I did it for another 10 minutes just to see if it would get worse, but it did not.

http://www.marco.org/rmbp-irtest.html

photokbf.jpg

The backlighting doesn't look that uneven in person. My iPhone camera is exaggerating it.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Next time you see image retention feel behind the back of the imac where the retention is and see if it feels warm. I had this problem with my 2008 Mac and everyone it was hot in the back.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Here's my thinking...

1. Right now these machines are impossible to get.
2. The problem may go away on its own as the panel wears in.
3. You have a warranty for 1 year.

So what I would do? Run it as is for now and see if it improves. If not, schedule a repair w/ Apple. I also highly recommend AppleCare on iMacs, as the LCD panels are prone to issues over time. (You can get AppleCare any time within the first year)

You're right about issues over time, but the panel doesn't really wear in. Typically image persistence problems get worse with time. I'm not sure what changed or if this is just a bad batch. With the rMBP it was a new level of pixel density. I was under the impression that they just changed the the outer screen treatment on this generation, so it's a bit puzzling.

It is still doing it, but it takes longer for it to retain the image. It seems as if lowering the brightness buys a little time before it sticks.

In my personal experience Apple displays don't perform that well at lower brightness settings. They seem to be optimized for at least 75% brightness levels.

Next time you see image retention feel behind the back of the imac where the retention is and see if it feels warm. I had this problem with my 2008 Mac and everyone it was hot in the back.

I'm not sure whether that affects it over the longer term. It's possible if it's not within the appropriate thermal spec.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I purchase a MBPr the first day it came out. The first thing I did when it was delivered... check to see which screen it had Samsung or LG. I was hit with the LG, which seemed to work pretty good for a couple months. Then I noticed little white dots, which started growing after that I started also noticing IR. I took it to Apple and they immediately said their was a problem. Had my machine over night to replace the screen. As, soon as I got it back, I check to see what screen they replaced it with — They blessed it with the Samsung. I'd have to say that the Samsung screen seems MUCH CLEANER. I'm waiting for my 27 inch to show up. I hope they get some of the bugs fixed before it arrives. :D

It dont surprise me at all...hopefully this crap doesnt happen eventually with these new iMac's. The new iMac's are all LG panels right?:mad:

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
Well, I was wrong, and it hasn't improved at all. After responding to an e-mail that took me about 20 minutes to compose, I switched to iPhoto and could see the windows that I had open in the dark grey background in iPhoto. Parts of the dock are starting to burn in.

I'm still unsure if I'll exchange or not. I'd like to hear that there are 27-inch iMacs that definitely are not doing this before I go through the hassle of exchanging a BTO.

photonx.jpg

The back of my iMac is not hot.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
Today the image retention was very bad, which is strange because yesterday I never noticed it. Today browser and email windows are being retained very quickly. Even keeping a web page open for 5 minutes results in a phantom of the window I closed. With the difference between yesterday and today, it makes me wonder if it is heat related. I don't feel any heat when I touch the back of the iMac, though.

I ran the grid pattern again and in 10 minutes it looked very different than when I did the test last night. Last night it seemed to only show up on the bottom of the screen, but today the pattern can clearly be seen over the whole screen, and it is taking a while to go back to normal after doing the 10 minute test.

Something else I'm noticing is that on a completely grey screen I can see a faint vertical lines at all times, even after the image retention has faded. I've never noticed that on displays before. You can clearly see the lines in the right side of the picture below.

I will definitely be exchanging it, but I sure hope that this isn't a problem that every one of them will exhibit. If this is the new normal for iMacs then I will have to figure something else out.

photo1adq.jpg

Ascer

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
Hi guys, i think you should quickly check with apple regarding this issue, be it said, i think many of us would like to know the outcome of this issue being solved.

planetMitch

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2010
Missouri
Something else I'm noticing is that on a completely grey screen I can see a faint vertical lines at all times, even after the image retention has faded. I've never noticed that on displays before. You can clearly see the lines in the right side of the picture below.

I will definitely be exchanging it, but I sure hope that this isn't a problem that every one of them will exhibit. If this is the new normal for iMacs then I will have to figure something else out.

I haven't seen the vertical lines you're talking about on mine, but the image retention is just as bad no matter what settings I use.

The 'good' news is that running a screensaver for a few minutes seems to remove most of the image ghosts, but I can't live like that.

A friend of mine said this happened to him on his 2009 iMac (i hadn't heard of it before) and he said he tried to live with it hoping it would go away - and it never did go away.

I sure don't want to go thru the return process, but since I edit video and photos as part of my career, I don't think I can live with this imac working like this.

----------

By the way, it seems to me that the only things 'burning in' are windows that are pure white... even grey things or icons (like on the dock) don't seem to be retained.

the grey screen in iPhoto seems to be the perfect way to test by the way!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Today the image retention was very bad, which is strange because yesterday I never noticed it. Today browser and email windows are being retained very quickly. Even keeping a web page open for 5 minutes results in a phantom of the window I closed. With the difference between yesterday and today, it makes me wonder if it is heat related. I don't feel any heat when I touch the back of the iMac, though."

Others are reporting this, too. It looks to be a serious problem with the new type of "laminated" display used in the new iMacs, something that cannot be easily dismissed.

I'm wondering -- one of the reasons for the initial delay in the production of the new iMacs (as reported here on MacRumors) was that the builders were having problems getting "good yields" from the lamination process.
- Could the image retention problem have been one of the criteria for their definition of "good yield"?
- Could image retention (in general) be a "by-product" of the new production design, with all of the finished units exhibiting this characteristic?
- Could whether a particular production unit's "passability, inspection-wise" be based less on whether there was image retention or not, and more on -how much- of the image was retained?

As Mr. Drudge would say, developing....

uptownnyc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Three questions:

1) Are there people here with 27" screens that aren't having this problem?
2) Has anyone with the problem spoken to Apple, and what was their response?
3) Let's assume all the displays are the same make. What video card is in the machines experiencing the problem?

Last edited:

BSoares

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
USA
Two questions:

1) Are there people here with 27" screens that aren't having this problem?
2) Has anyone with the problem spoken to Apple, and what was their response?
3) Let's assume all the displays are the same make. What video card is in the machines experiencing the problem?

I have a 27" and no image retention. I also have the 675MX GPU, not the upgraded 680 like many here.

Spiffious

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
I am very concerned about this. I have ongoing projects that were waiting for this machine, and I cannot wait longer for a replacement. And what if the replacement does the same?

Mine has pretty bad retention:
i7
Fusion
680mx.

Seems worse on the left side of my screen so far. My symptoms are basically the exact same as the OP.

Any other folks with my popular BTO build having NO image retention?

uptownnyc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Hmm. So anybody with the 675MX and burn-in? So far I think everyone that's reported it has the 680MX.

treysdown

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2012
I also received a 27" that was having image retention issues. It was an i5 3.2GHz with the GTX 675MX video card and 1TB fusion drive.

Here is an example pic:
47486519.png

I took it to the apple store and they ran tests on the display, which failed. They couldn't replace it with another item, so I ended up returning it and reordering another one.

Now I have to wait until January to get the replacement, hopefully the next one won't have a faulty display.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

That is terrible. :( I'm not normally in favor of using grid pattern checks, but you shouldn't see issues like this on a new display. They were sometimes problematic on aging displays. You'd see it first with things like application names and other lettering at the top. I'm glad I don't need one.

Hmm. So anybody with the 675MX and burn-in? So far I think everyone that's reported it has the 680MX.

I definitely would not count on this if you're debating what to order.

planetMitch

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2010
Missouri
really?

Drives me wild too. I actually find it distracting from what I'm trying to watch.

this is so important you have to post? Who cares what the format is? Geez

----------

I took it to the apple store and they ran tests on the display, which failed. They couldn't replace it with another item, so I ended up returning it and reordering another one.

Now I have to wait until January to get the replacement, hopefully the next one won't have a faulty display.

So they won't bump your replacement up in the cycle? I think I'm going to have to return mine as well... good thing I still have my old one to work with - tho I'm already so used to the speed the old one will be torture!

cbrad82

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2012
27-inch iMac has image retention

I have a 21.5" iMac and No kind of image retention...:D
ScreenShot2012-12-20at82339PM_zpsdf87e23e.png

Last edited:

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Would one of you who don't have image retention keep up the grid pattern for 10 minutes and then take a picture of your screen and post it here?

http://www.marco.org/rmbp-irtest.html

I have a 27" with the 680MX. I just tried the grid test for 10 minutes and couldn't see any image retention. I saw your post too late, but will do it again and take a pic when I get a chance. (The grid was retained in my retina and/or visual cortex, though.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.