Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackcolor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2010
how about the colorspace and the screen quality with the new imac ?

how many percentage or the sRGB and Adobe RGB ?

Anyone can share the calibration result or review for reference ?

Thanks!:)

aure28

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012

That is the first mac I owned that I don't have to calibrate the monitor. Mine is perfectly software calibrated.

sukai

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2012
I don't think i'll calibrate mine, also sorry to go off topic, but is there a iMac keyboard with backlight?

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
I don't think i'll calibrate mine, also sorry to go off topic, but is there a iMac keyboard with backlight?

Logitech just announced one recently

Bluetooth
Back-lit Keyboard
And the the ability to easily switch between 3 bluetooth devices at a touch of a button.

Looks great, not sure how good the typing is though.

sukai

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2012
Logitech just announced one recently

Bluetooth
Back-lit Keyboard
And the the ability to easily switch between 3 bluetooth devices at a touch of a button.

Looks great, not sure how good the typing is though.

Thanks, I have gotten to love the back-lit keyboard that I miss it on the iMac.

blackcolor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2010
anyone have those experience which did the calibration on the new imac (late 2012) ?

no mattr the datacolor or xrite calibrator are also welcome !:)

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
I'm not into calibrating and what not, but I've gotta say that the screen is fantastic. WAY less glare, very crisp and vibrant.

SOLLERBOY

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I have just run migration assistant and am worried that I've wiped over the factory calibration with my old imacs calibration, is that possible?

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
That is the first mac I owned that I don't have to calibrate the monitor. Mine is perfectly software calibrated.

What people on here call calibration is software calibration. You measure values to determine appropriate instructions to match a target and the approximate response with that instruction set. Also the notion of perfect out of the box is a false one. The notion of perfect color is in general. The correct way of looking at it would be that it met your expectations out of the box. No matter what you do, the technology isn't there to produce 100% visual consistency against a known target for the life of the display.

I have just run migration assistant and am worried that I've wiped over the factory calibration with my old imacs calibration, is that possible?

Just check the profile system preferences ---> display ---> color tab ---> appropriate generic profile. You can always examine that and check the date created. If it came from an older system, it should mention it.

SOLLERBOY

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2008
UK
What people on here call calibration is software calibration. You measure values to determine appropriate instructions to match a target and the approximate response with that instruction set. Also the notion of perfect out of the box is a false one. The notion of perfect color is in general. The correct way of looking at it would be that it met your expectations out of the box. No matter what you do, the technology isn't there to produce 100% visual consistency against a known target for the life of the display.

Just check the profile system preferences ---> display ---> color tab ---> appropriate generic profile. You can always examine that and check the date created. If it came from an older system, it should mention it.

Says it was created at 3:53pm today which is when the migration finished.

Doesn't say anything about an older system.

If you change it to another it doesn't change smoothly, kinda does it as a gradient.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Says it was created at 3:53pm today which is when the migration finished.

Doesn't say anything about an older system.

If you change it to another it doesn't change smoothly, kinda does it as a gradient.

It's possible it was overwritten when you mention the coincidental timing, although the way OSX records when things were created has changed over time. It should restore the default profile if you remove that one. You'd just need to move it to a different folder and restart system preferences to see what it does. Reboot if necessary. I haven't tried this with the Apple display, but it works on most other displays for obtaining a default one. If that fails, ask around on here for a stock one.

Gelite55

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
Mine looks great from the factory. I didn't ever really buy into the whole calibration thing with TV's or in this case, iMac screens. Looks great. Don't mess with it.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Mine looks great from the factory. I didn't ever really buy into the whole calibration thing with TV's or in this case, iMac screens. Looks great. Don't mess with it.

You calibrate save and you can switch between default and the calibrated. Nothing lost. If you do it carefully on advanced setting, you'd be surprised it looks even better.

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002

In most situations, I think you're pretty right.

Although, often times when non-design people are calibrating screens it's less about them "not looking right" out of the box and more about making them look better in the room they are in.

Every room has different lighting, after all, and who knows what environment they used to set the factory calibration?

Gelite55

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
You calibrate save and you can switch between default and the calibrated. Nothing lost. If you do it carefully on advanced setting, you'd be surprised it looks even better.
Apple already said they were calibrated out of the factory.

dandrewk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
San Rafael, California
By calibrating using software and colorimeter, you are calibrating to a known standard. This helps insure that colors, photos etc. will reproduce correctly on other monitors, printers etc.

This may not be important to anyone where precise colors aren't critical. But to photographers, videographers, web designers etc. it is of supreme importance. e.g. If you are a professional photographer doing model shoots and your uncalibrated monitor is a bit on the blueish side, all those photos that looked great when doing photoshop touchups will look a bit sickly yellow to everyone else. Not good.

I should get my 27" iMac in a few days. One of the very first things I will do is calibrating the monitor. It is a fast and painless process, and I have yet to see any monitor that wasn't improved with calibration. Once done, it is important to periodically repeat the process as monitors change over time and usage.

Skyjamma

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
Maryland

Performed a calibration on my late 2012 iMac earlier today, with a Spyder4Elite colorimeter. The calibration covered 100% of sRGB, and 81% of AdobeRGB.

----------

I should get my 27" iMac in a few days. One of the very first things I will do is calibrating the monitor.
The Spyder4Elite did a good job on my late 2012 iMac's display. Colors are more evenly matched. Just need to do an actual screen-to-print analysis, before I'm totally satisfied. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.