Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

propower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
If you think of the Thunderbolt display as a monitor and a hub at this time there is no better option to get a good ips panel + second TB + Ethernet + FW800 + 3 USB...

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
How easy is it to stuff a monitor, speakers and other paraphernalia into a back pack to carry on a motorcycle, or ship the same across an ocean?

I suppose not obvious to some geek with a room full of computer stuff, though plainly obvious to a simple itinerant used to moving light.
Sounds like a fun lifestyle, you on the other hand need some tuning.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Sounds like a fun lifestyle, you on the other hand need some tuning.

This sounds like an insult which I don't quite get, simple old chappie that I am. Please explain.

On topic, it was only when the Mac Mini came along that I acquired a computer. It is easily transportable, but not portable. I am not a geek that wants a computer with me at all times, but I did want something easy to move the guts of, and set up again when I move on. I guess a few others do too.

The other advantage of a modular system is that you can upgrade / update the components as needs or desires dictate. With an iMac in general you have to front funds to replace the lot.

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
This sounds like an insult which I don't quite get, simple old chappie that I am. Please explain.

On topic, it was only when the Mac Mini came along that I acquired a computer. It is easily transportable, but not portable. I am not a geek that wants a computer with me at all times, but I did want something easy to move the guts of, and set up again when I move on. I guess a few others do too.

The other advantage of a modular system is that you can upgrade / update the components as needs or desires dictate. With an iMac in general you have to front funds to replace the lot.

How easy is it to stuff a monitor, speakers and other paraphernalia into a back pack to carry on a motorcycle, or ship the same across an ocean?

I suppose not obvious to some geek with a room full of computer stuff, though plainly obvious to a simple itinerant used to moving light.

This ;) kinda of a slap don't ya think

Scott Botkins

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2011
I bought an iMac 3 years ago for my first mac. I wish I had spent more time researching about the mac mini because my iMac is overkill and I don't like how it's built all-in-one. I do plan on buying a mac mini as my next computer whenever that may be, especially since the newer ones are as powerful as my i7 iMac.

mapleleafer

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2009
I do plan on buying a mac mini as my next computer whenever that may be

Me too. I liked the all-in-one format when I got my first iMac. When the time came to get a new computer, I just got another iMac without even considering the mini. I just dismissed it offhand. The shortcomings of the new iMac, though, has forced me to have a serious look at the mini. I don't need a new computer now, but I think my next computer will most likely be a mini. (But who knows what Apple will do to future releases of either that may sway my decision.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.