Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeyrogers

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2004
Santa Monica, CA
I've had nothing but success with Passbook to be honest. I use my AMC Stubs, Fandango, Walgreens, Target, Starbucks and airline passes on a consistent basis. And my back doesn't hurt having to sit on a bulky wallet any longer. It's really a great tool that I can't live without. I can't wait to have more retailers jump on board!

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
"You can send a gift card to a friend, they accept it, hit a link to add to their Passbook, and then they have their gift card right there.” Customers also can scan a code on their conventional gift cards so they can add them to Passbook.

Color me old fashioned, but isn't the point of a "gift", regardless of a gift card, meant to be presented as a gift and not merely a digital transaction of money? Yes, I realize that is basically what a gift card is by definition, yet this method removes the human interaction that makes giving and receiving gifts a surprise and joy.

But Apple has been taking a "go-slow approach" for the time being, opting to push Passbook as a middle ground while it watches to see how mobile payments evolve over time.

I wouldn't state it as a "go slow" approach. Apple had 5 prototypes with NFC yet demanded a percentage per NFC transaction in negotiations with Visa and MC that resulted in Apple giving a big F U when the CC companies refused to acquiesce to Apple's demands. Thus the non-NFC model was released, with the 5S most likely utilizing it (assuming negotiations work out). Passbook with a virtual wallet would have been a huge benefit, and Visa and MC were both on record that NFC systems were ready for the next mobile device release (i.e. the iPhone 5) until Apple released a non-NFC iPhone 5 (c'mon, it's a small chip, and Apple already had NFC 5 prototypes).

Last edited:

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
Color me old fashioned, but isn't the point of a "gift", regardless of a gift card, meant to be presented as a gift and not merely a digital transaction of money? Yes, I realize that is basically what a gift card is by definition, yet this method removes the human interaction that makes giving and receiving gifts a surprise and joy.

I wouldn't state it as a "go slow" approach. Apple had 5 prototypes with NFC yet demanded a percentage per NFC transaction in negotiations with Visa and MC that resulted in Apple giving a big F U when the CC companies refused to acquiesce to Apple's demands. Thus the non-NFC model was released, with the 5S most likely utilizing it (assuming negotiations work out). Passbook with a virtual wallet would have been a huge benefit, and Visa and MC were both on record that NFC systems were ready for the next mobile device release (i.e. the iPhone 5) until Apple released a non-NFC iPhone 5 (c'mon, it's a small chip, and Apple already had NFC 5 prototypes).

Where are your sources ?

iPhone 5 is already pretty packed. Some had earlier battery issues. Not incorporating NFC may be a tech, security and/or schedule concern. Having prototypes doesn't really mean anything. It's like saying Google has new servers and Amazon has new books.

Last edited:

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010

I bet Visa and MasterCard are quivering in their boots with the amazing usage levels of PassBook. /s

I bet Apple also demanded 30% of every transaction.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
What companies exactly have these "deals"?
As an example, go to coupons.com with your iPhone browser. You will see a Passbook/Get Coupons button. This brings you to a page of currently available coupons which you can add to your Passbook with a click.

----------

When I added my Starbucks card to Passbook, it started eating data like there was no tomorrow, presumably while constantly checking to see if there was a Starbucks nearby.
That's not how it works. It does not constantly check in the background. Only when you turn the phone on it checks whether you are near one of your favorite stores (which you can set in the Starbucks app before adding the pass) and then brings up the pass on the lock screen, so you don't have to unlock the phone to use it.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
I have one app that uses Passbook. I was expecting that to grow, but here I am months later with a starbucks card only.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Well... That's not the complete picture. Samsung is suffering from a major exploit blunder now. Apple may be working on a better NFC and even proper wireless charging. Usually, they are more concerned with security than Samsung.

I would hate to have my cellphone exploited with NFC payment enabled.

I have wireless charging. It's not that worthwhile. Also broke down after a few months. Hope Apple can make these technologies mass market for real, instead of just being marketing bullet points, plus without high consumer risks.

Passbook is out early to build the base without the risks.

----------

Yes, I believe it's up to 10 locations per pass. And you -- the merchant -- can update it.

Theres no actual risk with nfc payments enabled. first of all nfc polling is disabled unless the screen is not only one but the lockscreen has been passed. Then google wallet itself has its own pin.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
As an example, go to coupons.com with your iPhone browser. You will see a Passbook/Get Coupons button. This brings you to a page of currently available coupons which you can add to your Passbook with a click.

Yes, coupons.com is ok for a start too. I remember there were only about 20 coupons on that screen. Try the other deal aggregators also, for a start. Seriously dudes, that Passbook wiki link I posted last page is really useful.

----------

Theres no actual risk with nfc payments enabled. first of all nfc polling is disabled unless the screen is not only one but the lockscreen has been passed. Then google wallet itself has its own pin.

Samsung's exploit is at the kernel level. A malicious app can install crap to bypass all these checks.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Yes, coupons.com is ok for a start too. I remember there were only about 20 coupons on that screen. Try the other deal aggregators also, for a start. Seriously dudes, that Passbook wiki link I posted last page is really useful.
What I like about coupons.com is that you don't have to sign up with them or install an app. You can just go to their mobile web page and simply download the coupon into Passbook ...

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
What I like about coupons.com is that you don't have to sign up with them or install an app. You can just go to their mobile web page and simply download the coupon into Passbook ...

That's true ! I thought you were talking about the in-app page. Is the URL still up ? If so, that would be the easiest way.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
How does Passbook work? Does it load up cards like shown in the pictures or do the cards pop up when it detects the location via GPS?
Cards can be configured to show up on the lock screen based on time and/or location. But not all are; in this case you have to start the Passbook app to access them. Also, they do not "pop up" like e.g. a reminder. They are only shown on the lock screen when you actively turn on the phone.
If it detects the location, can you disable that option?
Yes. "Turn" the card around and disable "Show on Lock Screen".

----------

That's true ! I thought you were talking about the in-app page. Is the URL still up ? If so, that would be the easiest way.
Yes. Simply go to coupons.com with the iPhone and click the "Get Coupons" link. You can also go directly to the coupon list at http://www.coupons.com/passbook. Again this works only if you are browsing with the iPhone (which the site detects).

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
I wanted to like/use it, but there weren't enough retailers for me to be interested. The Starbucks card was nice, but anything else I tried to use (like Target) had me download a separate app first. I'm sure Passbook will be more useful in the future, but I'm tired of Apple putting out half-baked ideas.

you seem to be confusing the developers of Passbook functionality (eg, Target), with Apple. apple built the platform and its fine. its up to developers to implement it appropriately.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
Apple should just put a small selection of Passbook coupons on their website. It would be the most effective way to ease consumers in.

olowott

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2011
Dundee, UK
will passbook ever be used where i shop and live

dont see it till like a few years later , others who got places to use it - :cool:

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
I've downloaded the Starbucks app but it doesn't appear "inside" passbook, so it is like having another app, thought the whole idea of wallet was to keep it all in one place.

the various developer apps are separate than Passbook. you can use a serive provider's app (say, TicketMaster) to buy something. then, you can have the service provider place the virtual goods in Passbook -- in this example, the tickets. and if they do it right the tickets will popup when you walk to the physical venue location.

so PB is merely a unified storage location for virtual passes/coupons/tickets. it does not replace the service provider's app, nor is it used to acquire services.

danfoy

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2011
Nottingham
As wonderful as I'm sure using Passbook is, in the UK there are still only 5 passbook apps available. And two of them are for US-based airlines. And one of them is for a German airline. And another is for booking hotels. So, unless you're a Starbucks fanatic - which isn't particularly likely in the UK, especially when they're being trashed in the media for tax evasion - or live in the UK and work overseas, then it's not something that anyone over here would ever use.

Which is a shame really, because it would make an awesome loyalty card if UK companies bothered to write apps for it.

urbanslaughter1997

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007
Yeah, I've been waiting for Dunkin' Donuts to move their cards into Passbook - guess that's not going to happen.

Went into Starbucks the other day, waited, waited, turned off my phone, turned it back on. Passbook never realized I was IN Starbucks. Finally, maybe ten minutes after I left Starbucks, a notification from Starbucks appeared on my screen. That's not particularly helpful.

I had a similar thing happen with Shopkick. I'm supposed to get points for visiting stores, that would be great if the phone ever recognized that I was IN the stores, but it never does. USELESS.

I was excited about SIRI when it first came out. Another useless piece. I hardly ever use it because it simply has no idea what I'm saying.

C'mon Apple. I'm a fanboy and I'm still waiting for you to get your act together. I haven't had problems with Maps, but I'm surprised that others have had trouble. It's no surprise that the stock price has been free-falling lately.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
As wonderful as I'm sure using Passbook is, in the UK there are still only 5 passbook apps available. And two of them are for US-based airlines. And one of them is for a German airline. And another is for booking hotels. So, unless you're a Starbucks fanatic - which isn't particularly likely in the UK, especially when they're being trashed in the media for tax evasion - or live in the UK and work overseas, then it's not something that anyone over here would ever use.

Which is a shame really, because it would make an awesome loyalty card if UK companies bothered to write apps for it.

Not just 5. AppStore doesn't list all Passbook apps.

I found Essential Travel for UK also: http://www.essentialtravel.co.uk/airportparking/passbook-passwallet.asp

Passbook apps get added under the radar. Besides the wiki link I posted, there are a few twitter accounts that track Passbook releases too.

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London

Thats not entirely accurate there are other apps available. Like I said in one of the earlier posts, there's the EventBrite app for one. When you buy tickets for events through EventBrite, your tickets show up in Passbook. I did this for a show in London's west end a few weeks back.

When you get to the event, the tickets show up on the lock screen where they can be scanned to allow you entry to the event.

RTP.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
This type of post is pure nonsense.

If I'm honest I've never even opened the app, I'm sure it's great in areas where it's more widely supported though.
Passbook is absolutely new technology, it isn't widely supported anywhere! Frankly I don't think anybody expected the rapid uptake it has had because it takes time for developers to get on board and it takes time for users to get on board. Things like Passbook simply can't be implemented overnight by everyone.

Posts like this makes me wish that down voting was available from iPad. I'm setting here just thinking WTF do people expect! Do you really think Apple has magical powers and at the snap of its fingers can get people to adopt their technology? Frankly I haven't used it myself but reports like these make me extremely happy because it removes resistance. That is people in charge seeing strong adoption will be more likely to support Passbook within their organizations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.