Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ad network and analytics firm Chitika claims it has seen no significant increase in iOS 6 adoption in the U.S. and Canada. A company analyst believes the MoPub data (which was international, rather than domestic) we wrote about earlier today was affected by the recent launch of the iPhone 5 in China, rather than the release of Google Maps.

This past weekend, Apple issued a press release bragging that it had sold more than two million iPhone 5 units in China over the first three days of availability.

iOS_Adoption_Breakdown.jpg
In the chart above -- which only looks at data from the U.S. and Canada, rather than the international data that MoPub examined -- the iOS 6 adoption slope following the release of Google Maps for iOS remains practically unchanged from before the release, suggesting a sea change in iOS 6 adoption rates resulting from Google Maps release is inaccurate.

Chitika Data Solutions Engineer Gabe Donnini:
Thursday, December 20th marks the first full week of Google Maps' availability in the Apple App Store. To determine the impact of Google Maps on iOS 6 adoption, Chitika Insights conducted a research study analyzing the trend in adoption rates since the applications' release, along with mapping the OS' adoption rates since its debut on September 19th, 2012 for added context. Following Google Maps' release, Chitika Insights observed iOS 6 usage remain fairly flat from midnight on December 13th to midnight on December 17th 2012.
On Monday, Google reported that Google Maps for iOS had been downloaded more than 10 million times.

Article Link: iOS 6 Adoption Uptick Due to iPhone 5 Release in China, Not Google Maps?

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I personally waited until the day Google Maps came out to upgrade to iOS 6. As did my wife. So that's 2 users.

It just goes to show that when it comes to Apple, you have to trust your own experience. "The numbers" don't prove anything.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
umm yeah, not just china but other 50 countries !! worldwide,
that could bump ios 6 adoption rate.

NoNothing

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2003
Personally...

I know of 2 people including CmdrThor and wife that delayed updating to iOS 6 due to the maps "issue".

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
so that previous 20% in iOS6 usage relates to 2M phones sold in China? Does that mean there are only 12M iphones out there?

Last edited:

nicmr

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
Great

This is great news for Apple. It means that the "maps fiasco" was not that bad. I wonder where are the true Apple fans... :)

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Dear god Macrumors either get on the bandwagon or dont.

"its because of Google maps"
"no wait, its because its Christmas"
"no...wait a second, its because of China."

Here's a thought...maybe it's all three.

Or maybe the Mayans wanted to try it out before they kill us :cool:

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
I know of 2 people including CmdrThor and wife that delayed updating to iOS 6 due to the maps "issue".

Why did you put the word 'issue' in quotes like there isn't actually a problem with Apple Maps?

Have you tried using it outside of America?. In some places Apple Maps is absolutely terrible. Just because your not experiencing the problem doesn't mean there isn't an issue.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Out of the 7-10 people I know with iPhones, only one purposefully held back on iOS 5 because of maps. And she did so mainly because she relies big time on Transit Directions, which Apple Maps doesn't have at all.

Last edited:

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Why would Google Maps drive adoption iOS 6 adoption? It's a cluttered mess of a GUI on Android. They might have better map data than Apple but it's about damn time I, the end user, start seeing it instead of just reading about it. Show, not tell. Apple Maps has a far superior and easier to use GUI and has a significantly larger locations database than Google. Although it falls short in some areas, no GPS system is "perfect". Let's not forget that some people drove into oceans and off cliffs using the same map data provider that Google (and Apple) uses.

RobHague

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2005
Google maps wasn't that important :confused: it seems an exaggeration to me that anyone could hold off just based on that. If it was deadly vital you could just go to the mobile site.

I have had zero issues with Apple Maps anyway, I downloaded the new Google Maps but its in a folder for emergencies with other apps like Waze. I was in London a few days ago and decided to give Google Maps a spin when I got lost, and it was giving me confusing directions. Switched to Apple Maps and it was much clearer. How is that for irony?

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
Any idiot knew that report was bogus given earlier numbers of ios6 install base and the percentage jump that in ios6 that supposedly happened because of an app. IT just didn't add up. Not that many people are on top of this sht and not that many cared that much about a GoogleMaps app.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Why did you put the word 'issue' in quotes like there isn't actually a problem with Apple Maps?

Have you tried using it outside of America?. In some places Apple Maps is absolutely terrible. Just because your not experiencing the problem doesn't mean there isn't an issue.

Using your own logic, just because YOU have an issue doesn't mean there is an issue for everyone else. In some places, Google Maps is terrible too. In others, it's awesome. Same with Apple Maps. Everyone seems to forget that a few years ago (or more I forget...) some people using GPS devices drove into oceans and off cliffs and other sorts of sticky situations. These GPS devices uses the same map data provider as Google and Apple does. In some cases, the same data points and locations databases. Google Maps is more extensive yes but that doesn't Apple Maps universally terrible.

I personally use Apple Maps. I have friends who live outside the US and they have used both Google and Apple maps on Android and iDevices. They have told me it's roughly the same and both have "issues" in certain areas. As a whole, they all seem to think that Apple has the better UI. None of my friends are "techies".

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca

Very true. My Apple maps work great here in California USA.. But on a recent business trip to the Philippines Apple maps were unusable. Awful.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I personally waited until the day Google Maps came out to upgrade to iOS 6. As did my wife. So that's 2 users.

Many people did and I'm sure it had some effect on the usage rate. That said, I would be much more inclined to believe the huge increase was due to the sale of the iPhone 5 in China.

JesseDegenerate

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2011

makes total sense. Cause iOS 5 maps gave you turn by turn, right? and google doesn't have maps.google.com, and there weren't 2 other google maps based mapping apps in the appstore, nor tomtom, navigon, nokia here etc.

So silly.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

Actually, it also works the other way too. Just because Apple maps is bad for you, don't assume everyone else is having problems. The truth is that many people aren't having problems with Apple maps and like Apple maps.

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
Here is my experience;

Used the google maps and iOS maps side by side on an andorid and iphone to go to a Verizon store. Google maps was 1.5miles longer and wanted us to do a U turn on a non-U turn spot.

A friend of my was trying to show where her house was in Argentina. Her house was on a river according to Google maps.

Iphone maps had, several restaurants we went to, close by but not at the same location as it supposed to be.

Lastly, apple store location on google maps comes up as a panda express. I thought that was funny.

I think approaching to Google maps like it is the god of maps is kind of silly. I would like to compare them 5 years from now. That would be fair.

At the end of the day, there are 2 options iphone owners can use now.

perpetuity

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2009
OK so Google Maps is finally better than MapQuest, which forever has offered FREE turn by turn on iOS. And the MapQuest turn by turn rocked, but, the MQ search really sucked... really, really sucked.

Google has great search, now they have pretty great maps on iOS.

I really, really like Apple Maps. But I use iPhone 4 and they kept, artificially, turn by turn off of iPhone 4. What a gaggle of wankers they are.

Otherwise, AppleMaps has navigated me across rural Maine, across MA, into NY, and Dallas TX without trouble aside from place name search. Since I understand the data problem they have I can work around their less than stellar place name search, so AppleMaps has been great!

Apple shouldn't have withheld turn by turn on iPhone 4. It's the most egregious example of attempting to get people to upgrade I've ever seen.

Finally, I knew this spike wasn't due to GMaps as good as they are... haters gonna hate, drive down the stock, pretend Google is open, and basically spread FUD. It's been this way since the early 90s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.