Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
It's not an award or honor. Hitler was named once; so it's not some sort of prize.

Completely taken out of context. Hitler was awarded the Man Of The Year in 1938 after taking Germany out of a huge depression and unifying the country like no leader before him.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Completely taken out of context. Hitler was awarded the Man Of The Year in 1938 after taking Germany out of a huge depression and unifying the country like no leader before him.

Not really. Not at all, in fact.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,760539,00.html

But the figure of Adolf Hitler strode over a cringing Europe with all the swagger of a conqueror. Not the mere fact that the Führer brought 10,500,000 more people (7,000,000 Austrians, 3,500,000 Sudetens) under his absolute rule made him the Man of 1938. Japan during the same time added tens of millions of Chinese to her empire. More significant was the fact Hitler became in 1938 the greatest threatening force that the democratic, freedom-loving world faces today.

saturn88

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2011
Many. It dropped 50% in one day once.
Not "millions" and not "many", to that extend it dropped just once 4 yeas ago during the financial collapse.

Recently Apple's stock fell 6.4 percent, the biggest one-day drop in more than four years

But it never not drop 50% in one day in the last 10 years. Otherwise, what day it was?

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Not "millions" and not "many", to that extend it dropped just once 4 yeas ago during the financial collapse.

Recently Apple's stock fell 6.4 percent, the biggest one-day drop in more than four years

But it never not drop 50% in one day in the last 10 years. Otherwise, what day it was?

"Millions" was just a figure of speech, obviously, meaning "many." And yes, big AAPL drops have happened many times, including under Jobs. This is not a Tim Cook phenomenon.

I remember the one-day 50% drop well - because it happened the day before I decided to buy some Apple stock. 2000-2001 or so. I remember it falling another 50% from that level not long after. Wish I had had the money to buy even more then, but I was young and in a panic watching my first stock purchase going down the drain. Fortunately I didn't panic but held on all these years.

The point being AAPL is a notoriously volatile stock.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
The biggest thing Cook will oversee is the "real" Apple TV. If it's as revolutionary as the iPhone was, then he can be named a true innovator.

+1 .. For one..

IF is the big question, as while they are doing prototypes, they are just that "only prototypes" this doesn't mean anything...

Apples a computer business.... Since when did they decide to be in the television industry ....... Plus, even if it does come to the table, Apple's only aiming at the "big bucks" with a 60" ...... Personally, Apple's making a bad decision, if thats all it is gonna be aimed at, since most people who want/or expected a smaller HD TV, would only need to reply on the "hockey puck", or take their business elsewhere.

Your lose.

As usual, this is just another reason for Apple to get more $$$.. Sharp, Samsung, & Panasonic all do well in this area. I can't wait for this (if it is gonna be out) to be a "dud" just like Apple Maps....

The crowd will go wild. Not to mention the price.......

....and for that .. Apple better get it right..

saturn88

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2011
"Millions" was just a figure of speech, obviously, meaning "many." And yes, big AAPL drops have happened many times, including under Jobs. This is not a Tim Cook phenomenon.

I remember the one-day 50% drop well - because it happened the day before I decided to buy some Apple stock. 2000-2001 or so. I remember it falling another 50% from that level not long after. Wish I had had the money to buy even more then, but I was young and in a panic watching my first stock purchase going down the drain. Fortunately I didn't panic but held on all these years.

That drop was not in the last 10 years as I was asking. That was over 12 years ago on Sept 29 2000, when Apple was on the verge of bankruptcy. Yes, Jobs was the CEO in 2000 but he just returned to Apple after more then 2 decades of absence trying to rebuild the company and fix the legacy mess.

You can't really compare Apple in 2000 with Apple today, but the current stock price drop is the most significant since the financial meltdown in 2008. It probably signifies stagnation process and the lack of vision at Apple. Today Apple dropped again in spite the fact that Dow and S&P are up.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville

Your last ten year timeframe is totally arbitrary, so I'm not playing that game. Sorry. I refer to a day in September 2000, not even during normal trading hours, but after hours. It fell from around $60.00 at the close to around $30.00 before it opened the next day, and it kept falling after that into the teens where it remained for a long time. And no, you do not get to discount 2009, when it fell more than 60% in a few months. I've been an AAPL stockholder for over 15 years, so these incidents are etched into my mind.

----------

The 2000 meltdown actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise for me. I was hours away from selling a substantial part of my holdings to pay for something expensive I'd just purchased. In fact it happened at exactly the time I was at the bank drawing the certified check. When I got back and saw what happened, I decided to scrape by on current funds until I could deal with the cost, and to hold onto the AAPL until the madness was over. I never regretted that decision.

----------

That drop was not in the last 10 years as I was asking. That was over 12 years ago on Sept 29 2000, when Apple was on the verge of bankruptcy.

No they were not on the verge of bankruptcy at that point, so that suggestion is just plain wrong. I don't recall the specific event that touched off the drop in AAPL that day, but overall it was mainly a function of the dot-com bubble selloff then very much in progress.

gijoeinla

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Apple was pretty predictable under Steve Jobs, release a new product, stock goes up.

Its only been under Tim Cook that Apple has been releasing duds and the stock is dropping.

I don't understand how anybody can believe Tim Cook is doing well for Apple. He was an adequate caretaker shortly after Steve Job's passing, but it sole purpose since then should have been to find an ideal replacement for Steve Jobs. Tim Cook is no Steve Job's and the companies performance over the last few months is proof of that.

Tim Cook is solely responsible for the Maps fiasco. There are two realities. Either he was aware of the Maps issues, went on stage and lied about how awesome the new Maps app was, OR, under his leadership middle management lied to Tim Cook and Tim Cook never bothered to actually use the new app and so went on stage clueless to how crappy the new Maps app was.

Steve Job's would never have released Maps in the state it was in.

Tim Cook should step down as leader of Apple, he is either a liar or a clueless twit, either are not good traits for a CEO.

I can easily believe why Cook is doing right by Apple. First and foremost he was hand picked by his former boss and founder of the company. Apparently while you and so many others *think* Steve was a jack of all trades of sorts and Apple was a well oiled operation before Cook or before Jobs passed away, you are ill informed.

Do you have a realistic grasp on how much the company has grown and how fast? If you believe that Steve Jobs himself "managed" that growth while maintaining its operations including customer service, retail, marketing, distribution, retention, shipping TENS of millions of units at a time, maintenance, expansion, and on and on, Who the F has been managing and overseeing ALL that? God himself? Yea, I just paid credit to COOK.

I pay to credit to Jobs for the creative passion that was behind the brand. I'm characteristically a lot like Jobs in my field - great idea guy, sometimes horrible to wrk for because I expect perfection and experience - but have the ability to hire great people who could fill in the gaps in areas that I fail in -- that's reality.

The notion that Jobs worked and thought like an island has been debunked. He like myself made some calculated failures as figurehead, some winners and some losers, that again is a fact. Jobs fundamentals were however solid but stubborn at the same time. People like us can be HELL to work for, even with our passions.

Cook has steered this company from the explosive growth that began with the iPod - remember that device lol? to the iPhone, the iPads and whatever's next.

Anyone who "questions" the guys smarts, character, etc needs their heads examined and a serious reality check.

No company on earth satisfies all. Another reality point. But being an Apple customer for 20+ years, they've strived to make me content, even when "I" was wrong.

Stock price -- another reality check -- it's up 500% since I bought it 5 years ago. It's UP from $398 from a year ago. Closed at $519 Friday - hardly time for death durge. You tell me what investment you've made 5 years ago and earned that kind of return? PLUS are receiving one of the highest dividend payments out there.?? Right, you can't -- cuz facts trump FUD.

The only people that could be "crying" that the stock is down are people who are overly greedy.

I'm confident the TEAM at Apple have some great NEW things to come. Stay *tuned*. (PUN)

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
What Cook needs to work on right now is making his employees happier

because from the outside, the brand and the company look cool

because the inside is another story...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.