Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewpturko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
Every Walmart within a 200mi radius is out of stock around me, so I decided to give Best Buy a call, very doubtingly thinking they would price match the $127.00 price. To my surprise, they said they'd do it no problem! This is great for at least two reasons:

1) I DON'T have to walk into a Walmart, EVER! Never did, Never will.

2) I DON'T have to order online at Apple.com and wait for it by mail or in store pickup...you can't walk in an Apple Store right now and just buy one.

Oh, and there is that minor price difference.

So, all in all, this is very unexpected, good news.

:)

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Every Walmart within a 200mi radius is out of stock around me, so I decided to give Best Buy a call, very doubtingly thinking they would price match the $127.00 price. To my surprise, they said they'd do it no problem! This is great for at least two reasons:

1) I DON'T have to walk into a Walmart, EVER! Never did, Never will.

2) I DON'T have to order online at Apple.com and wait for it by mail or in store pickup...you can't walk in an Apple Store right now and just buy one.

Oh, and there is that minor price difference.

So, all in all, this is very unexpected, good news.

:)

Glad to hear it - as a former BBY employee and frequenter of their stores, I hate hearing all the negative pub, even though I know SOME of it is true. But they're generally very easy-going about price matching competitors.

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
My best buy near me refused to price match without a physical ad and also, didnt believe they could ever sell the 5 for 127. So I called customer service and I should have my price match refund within 5 days. I figured I would go a step higher than the very rude women behind the counter.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Around here Best Buy has been price matching AMAZON without question.

Saw one guy show the Amazon price for a phone, and he got the phone for $75 when the guy at the table next to him was paying $199 for the same phone.

It wasn't an iPhone but just wanted to point out that if you do not ask for the better price, you are not going to get it.

Starrbuck

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
I'm happy I got my 5's for $50 off at BB last week and got 5,000 RWZ points for each too.

andrewpturko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
My best buy near me refused to price match without a physical ad and also, didnt believe they could ever sell the 5 for 127. So I called customer service and I should have my price match refund within 5 days. I figured I would go a step higher than the very rude women behind the counter.

That's ridiculous! I also notice they (BB) just started offering it for $150.00 on their website and in store... So $127.00 really isn't that big of a deal anymore (never truly was), but you should most definitely be able to get it from best buy for at least $150.00. Funny I'm typing this on my iPhone 5 right now. Happy holidays!

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
You're too good to shop at Walmart. Good for you :rolleyes:

Don't you know the iPhones sold at Wal-Mart were MADE IN CHINA and the iPhones sold at BEST BUY were MADE IN CHINA.

Clearly the iPhones from BEST BUY are better. :D

Seriously though:

Actually it's not the phones ... it is the service from the vendor.

I like Best Buy for the excellent customer service I have gotten there.

Wal-Mart has not been tested by me yet because there isn't one close enough.

When I finally select a phone, I will probably go to Best Buy myself.

The fact that, as a service to the customer, they will match prices is just incentive for customers to stay with them.

I only wish you didn't have to ask them to price match, that they would match it automatically like WAL-MART claims to do.

bigjim83

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2011
Don't you know the iPhones sold at Wal-Mart were MADE IN CHINA and the iPhones sold at BEST BUY were MADE IN CHINA.

Clearly the iPhones from BEST BUY are better. :D

Seriously though:

Actually it's not the phones ... it is the service from the vendor.

I like Best Buy for the excellent customer service I have gotten there.

Wal-Mart has not been tested by me yet because there isn't one close enough.

When I finally select a phone, I will probably go to Best Buy myself.

The fact that, as a service to the customer, they will match prices is just incentive for customers to stay with them.

I only wish you didn't have to ask them to price match, that they would match it automatically like WAL-MART claims to do.

I get that and I agree. Op just came off really snotty about it. I shop at both places and each has their good and bad points

bigjim83

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2011
So is it confirmed, ymmv, or confirmed that ymmv?

Best buy has been pushing their price matching this holiday season so I believe it would be safe to day it's everywhere. If they will price match amazon they will price match Walmart.

andrewpturko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
You're too good to shop at Walmart. Good for you :rolleyes:

Actually, I just hate the service. I called over 8 Walmart super centers around me and their customer service was less than subpar. If I asked if the phone was in stock, I would simply get a "no" without any further explanation 9 out of 10 times. It took over 6 tries to call one Walmart in particular and get transferred to the right department. The eight calls I made to Walmart's 8 stores in my area turned out being over 30 calls - yes 30. If they don't know how to press the correct button on their telephone system than it'd be worse than hell trying to get help in store. I could go on with my frustration but I can't stand the company for what it stands for; They try to dominate everything in every genre and niche of the market and at least BestBuy sticks to tech. With that said, it took BestBuy over half of an hour to complete the transaction but I couldn't imagine how long it would have taken the depressed rep at Walmart to activate it.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Actually, I just hate the service. I called over 8 Walmart super centers around me and their customer service was less than subpar. If I asked if the phone was in stock, I would simply get a "no" without any further explanation 9 out of 10 times.

What further information would you need past "no?" They answered your question, right?

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
Actually, I just hate the service. I called over 8 Walmart super centers around me and their customer service was less than subpar. If I asked if the phone was in stock, I would simply get a "no" without any further explanation 9 out of 10 times. It took over 6 tries to call one Walmart in particular and get transferred to the right department. The eight calls I made to Walmart's 8 stores in my area turned out being over 30 calls - yes 30. If they don't know how to press the correct button on their telephone system than it'd be worse than hell trying to get help in store. I could go on with my frustration but I can't stand the company for what it stands for; They try to dominate everything in every genre and niche of the market and at least BestBuy sticks to tech. With that said, it took BestBuy over half of an hour to complete the transaction but I couldn't imagine how long it would have taken the depressed rep at Walmart to activate it.

Just did the same thing..

However, best buy will only price match for me if Walmart has one in stock within 25 miles of the best buy at which I purchased the iPhone 5..

I know for a fact Walmart had them in stock on Sunday night....I purchased the iPhone from BB on Sunday afternoon - didn't get a chance to call customer service to get price match until today...after the BB CS rep called 3 local walmarts, and only getting an answer at one (while leaving me on hold the entire time), she told me to call back when I knew Walmart had the phone back in stock..so, since Walmart ran out of iPhones between then and now I guess I am SOL?

Unless - BB said they are doing holiday Price matching through jan 24...if that's the case, maybe ill be able to get the price down lower than 150.

Burton8219

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2007
Around here Best Buy has been price matching AMAZON without question.

Saw one guy show the Amazon price for a phone, and he got the phone for $75 when the guy at the table next to him was paying $199 for the same phone.

It wasn't an iPhone but just wanted to point out that if you do not ask for the better price, you are not going to get it.
Where are people seeing $75 from Amazon? If that's the case, I'll be making a trip down to Best Buy...

andrewpturko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
What do you expect from minimum wage workers? You are lucky they speak English.

What further information would you need past "no?" They answered your question, right?

I expect them to do their jobs, and no - "no" is not a substantial, professional answer. I would have expected an expected time of
arrival for next shipment without first hanging up on me, purposely preventing myself to ask another simple question. I'm sorry but you're doing the job for one reason or another, and you mind as well make the most out of it by being courteous to potential customers that pay for your food. The point is, BestBuy is a superior place to shop for numerous amounts of reasons, this simple opinion being the main reason I posted this thread in the first place.

----------

Just did the same thing..

However, best buy will only price match for me if Walmart has one in stock within 25 miles of the best buy at which I purchased the iPhone 5..

I know for a fact Walmart had them in stock on Sunday night....I purchased the iPhone from BB on Sunday afternoon - didn't get a chance to call customer service to get price match until today...after the BB CS rep called 3 local walmarts, and only getting an answer at one (while leaving me on hold the entire time), she told me to call back when I knew Walmart had the phone back in stock..so, since Walmart ran out of iPhones between then and now I guess I am SOL?

Unless - BB said they are doing holiday Price matching through jan 24...if that's the case, maybe ill be able to get the price down lower than 150.

Technically your local BB is following their proper terms of service for the price match. I guess my store didn't even bother to check, no questions asked whatsoever.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.