Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aquaboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
UK
ok at the bottom you will see a line that says logical volume and a large number ending in 2c09

copy the large number then type in "diskutil cs delete volume largenumberhere" and put a space and paste in the number you copied earlier in place of "largenumberhere"

Cheers again, I've just left for work and will try it when I get home. Watch this space!

----------

Who cares if not apple will fix it. Stop wasting time and your sanity and just go to apple and say its broke and let them deal with the headache. Probably something is wrong with the hard drive in which case apple will need to fix it since these things are no longer user friendly replaceable.

And wait weeks, prob months? I will but only after I've exhausted all other avenues!

Gelite55

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
Who cares if not apple will fix it. Stop wasting time and your sanity and just go to apple and say its broke and let them deal with the headache. Probably something is wrong with the hard drive in which case apple will need to fix it since these things are no longer user friendly replaceable.

Agreed. You paid enough money not to deal with this.

Twenty5

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
I'm curious though, can someone tell me why this happened to OP?? :confused:

I'm about to install windows myself via bootcamp and I just don't want to go through this.. Is there anything that I should or shouldn't do so that this wont happen to me or any other users? :eek:

Thanks!

aquaboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
UK
Drakes web link works now so will try it when i get home. This is a nightmare!

aquaboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
UK
----------

[/COLOR]

Ah, cool. Don't worry - the procedure in the link WILL work. :)[/QUOTE]

I hope so, those are my symptoms etc. I will be home in 3hrs to give it a try.

movielad

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2005
Surrey
Not sure what to tell ya - the link was and is working for me. :-/

----------

Ah, cool. Don't worry - the procedure in the link WILL work. :)

Indeed, as the aforementioned blogger I monitor the server the blog sits upon as well as working for the hosting company too. I'm also the on-call engineer this week ;) Probably temporary routing issue somewhere along the line.

CoreStorage - you've got to love it :\

aquaboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
UK
Not sure what to tell ya - the link was and is working for me. :-/

----------

Ah, cool. Don't worry - the procedure in the link WILL work. :)

Well I've done what the drakes link said and went I rebooted I got this.... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356101136.972451.jpg
And it said something like 'makes these drives workable drives' and now it is 'discovering new logical volume groups' it's been stuck at 50% for 5min now. Should this work?

movielad

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2005
Surrey
Well I've done what the drakes link said and went I rebooted I got this.... View attachment 384998
And it said something like 'makes these drives workable drives' and now it is 'discovering new logical volume groups' it's been stuck at 50% for 5min now. Should this work?

I don't have experience with Fusion drives as yet (I only stumbled across the original CoreStorage issue when attempting to re-install on an old FileVault encrypted filesystem), but it seems to me that you should wait a bit longer for Disk Utility to do it's schtick.

aquaboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
UK
I don't have experience with Fusion drives as yet (I only stumbled across the original CoreStorage issue when attempting to re-install on an old FileVault encrypted filesystem), but it seems to me that you should wait a bit longer for Disk Utility to do it's schtick.

It's times like this an Atheist prays lol wish me luck!

Buskins

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2012
I just got off the phone with tech support trying to get myself windows installed on a 1TB fusion, 27" iMac.

He suggested downloading the version of windows I wanted from http://www.mydigitallife.info/downl...cial-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-links/

Scroll down and you'll see it (Windows 7 Home Premium SP1-U ISO)

He mentioned that it is already an ISO so it can just be put on a thumbdrive - which I need to format as MBR - and then when the Mac reboots itself after partitioning the drive I can hold down alt and boot into the thumbdrive windows. The Windows is a trial, but he said I can just then put in my validation key and it'll become the full version.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

aquaboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
UK
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356107580.083465.jpg

Things are looking better.....
But it took some doing and luck.
It didn't go as plan first Time around, all the options in disk Utility partition section was greyed out so I couldn't do a thing. But after repeating the whole process again, it worked...

I CAN'T THANK every one involved in this Thread enough....
Thank you.
(I just hope the instillation of ML goes well)

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
View attachment 385005

Things are looking better.....
But it took some doing and luck.
It didn't go as plan first Time around, all the options in disk Utility partition section was greyed out so I couldn't do a thing. But after repeating the whole process again, it worked...

I CAN'T THANK every one involved in this Thread enough....
Thank you.
(I just hope the instillation of ML goes well)

Glad it went well, i was halfway though walking you though it before you went out, Its just a matter of deleting the logical volume and fusion volume so that disk utility see them as two separate drives and fuses them back together.

aquaboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
UK
Yeah you was a great help, I know in my mind that was what needed to be done, but I haven't a clue on how to do it. I didn't think it was a Mechanical fail so I didn't really want to return it. Just need guys like you to talk me though it. Forever grateful :)

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Yeah you was a great help, I know in my mind that was what needed to be done, but I haven't a clue on how to do it. I didn't think it was a Mechanical fail so I didn't really want to return it. Just need guys like you to talk me though it. Forever grateful :)

Ah, glad to hear it's all sorted! When you've got a moment, could you (and, indeed, anyone else who wants to chip in) check the two things I mentioned earlier in the thread, and a third one that I've just remembered, please? :)

1. If you run Verify in Disk Utility on your whole HD (the top most Macintosh HD entry in the left-hand column), does it make your BOOTCAMP partition turn red in the left-hand column?

2. In Windows, can you see your OS X partition in Windows Explorer? I could on my last iMac, but I can't on this one. Hoping it's a Fusion Drive thing and not just me.

3. When you go into Startup Manager (hold down Alt while booting), do you see your Recovery Partition, or just your OS X and Windows partitions?

Thanks!

SB

aquaboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
UK
Yeah I'll do them for ya once I'm up and running. It does beg the question, why did my partition creation via boot camp fail in the first place???

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Ah, glad to hear it's all sorted! When you've got a moment, could you (and, indeed, anyone else who wants to chip in) check the two things I mentioned earlier in the thread, and a third one that I've just remembered, please? :)

1. If you run Verify in Disk Utility on your whole HD (the top most Macintosh HD entry in the left-hand column), does it make your BOOTCAMP partition turn red in the left-hand column?

2. In Windows, can you see your OS X partition in Windows Explorer? I could on my last iMac, but I can't on this one. Hoping it's a Fusion Drive thing and not just me.

3. When you go into Startup Manager (hold down Alt while booting), do you see your Recovery Partition, or just your OS X and Windows partitions?

Thanks!

SB

1. Yes it goes red on mine too, not sure why.

2. No, Windows will not see a logical volume, only OSX will see it. This is due to fusion

3.No you wont see the recovery partition as it is inside the logical volume group, you can still access it by holding down CMD-R

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
1. Yes it goes red on mine too, not sure why.

2. No, Windows will not see a logical volume, only OSX will see it. This is due to fusion

3.No you wont see the recovery partition as it is inside the logical volume group, you can still access it by holding down CMD-R

Nice work - thanks! I think BOOTCAMP goes red cos the version of DU for Fusion Drive-equipped iMacs is apparently completely new, and it's not been told to ignore the Boot Camp partition, as previous versions were.

And yep, the Recovery partition still works - just curious as to why it's stopped showing up in the Startup Manager. Not that it matters. :)

lixe

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2010
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.